Bellazon

Mortal Kombat 2021

Shepherd

9D3IPk91_t.jpg

Hunted by the fearsome warrior Sub-Zero, MMA fighter Cole Young finds sanctuary at the temple of Lord Raiden. Training with experienced fighters Liu Kang, Kung Lao and the rogue mercenary Kano, Cole prepares to stand with Earth's greatest champions to take on the enemies from Outworld in a high-stakes battle for the universe.

Cast: Lewis Tan, Jessica McNamee, Josh Lawson, Joe Taslim

cI5Gqy9Z_t.jpg rDVRPkjX_t.jpg 3uR3hDR7_t.jpg 2uXseBS1_t.jpg oRDMk31a_t.jpg

This movie ended up having some fun fight scenes.  I like the physical casting of Sonja Blade, the actress entirely looks the part.

Some of the other actors however aren't as casted well as the 1995 original.

I've yet to see the film, although I did manage to catch this seven-minute preview video posted recently by HBO Max.

For me, there was something curious about the way they introduced a new and fairly bland-looking character, seemingly to be the main protagonist. I haven't played the games for a very long time, but I think I'm right in thinking that Liu Kang was in that role for a good chunk of the franchise.

On 5/4/2021 at 6:37 PM, Michael* said:

I've yet to see the film, although I did manage to catch this seven-minute preview video posted recently by HBO Max.

For me, there was something curious about the way they introduced a new and fairly bland-looking character, seemingly to be the main protagonist. I haven't played the games for a very long time, but I think I'm right in thinking that Liu Kang was in that role for a good chunk of the franchise.

The Japanese guy is the human form of the undead Scorpion.

He is a 60-year old Japanese actor, typecasted for samurai roles in Japan/Western productions.  He was notable in "The Last Samurai" (my favorite Western appearance) and did a major part in Westworld Season 2.  

Honestly he is getting old and his movements look slow in this film. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Sanada

The new Liu Kang doesn't look anywhere as good as the original one does.  Both were a bit feminine looking in the face (with ultra-ripped bodies) but this guy is too feminine.

On 5/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, Cult Icon said:

The Japanese guy is the human form of the undead Scorpion.

He is a 60-year old Japanese actor, typecasted for samurai roles in Japan/Western productions.  He was notable in "The Last Samurai" (my favorite Western appearance) and did a major part in Westworld Season 2.  

Honestly he is getting old and his movements look slow in this film. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Sanada

Yeah, as much as one doesn't tend to associate a 60-year-old dude with the character, I think I'd have been okay with the conflict between Scorpion and Sub Zero as the central theme. As it stands, I don't expect it to get that much treatment, but the clip was handled with a nice dash of emotion and I hope it's a sign of how the rest of the film plays out too.

Got around to seeing it. Overall, I'd say there's a chance we may see a stronger sequel at some stage, perhaps depending on how this one performs, but I really think they'd have been better served by some of the exposition happening via flashbacks instead of just characters talking at each other (which is basically why the new MMA guy is there).

Certainly though, there was some fun to be had. Sub Zero gets a chance to show some personality and motivation, and Kano and Kabal are enjoyable to watch. I'd probably watch one more installment to see what happens and maybe take it from there.

On 5/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, Cult Icon said:

The new Liu Kang doesn't look anywhere as good as the original one does.  Both were a bit feminine looking in the face (with ultra-ripped bodies) but this guy is too feminine.

It was a weird one, the actor who played Liu Kang seemed to spend the entire movie with a look of either worry or shock on his face, which is pretty distracting whenever he's on screen. Maybe it was the direction, but I didn't really care for the portrayal.

On 5/17/2021 at 3:14 PM, Michael* said:

Certainly though, there was some fun to be had. Sub Zero gets a chance to show some personality and motivation, and Kano and Kabal are enjoyable to watch. I'd probably watch one more installment to see what happens and maybe take it from there.

The fight scenes and the way they navigated the portrayal of mortal combat was much better than I anticipated and rather unique to me.  

• 3 weeks later...