Bellazon

Model Dies of Malnutrition

ILOVETrentini

Does anyone remember Luisel Ramos? This is her sister. R.I.P.

--

Second model sister dies of malnutrition in Uruguay

dpa German Press Agency

Published: Tuesday February 13, 2007

A teenage Uruguayan model died from apparent malnutrition, just six months after her model elder sister also died from from a heart failure caused by malnutrition, local reports said Wednesday. The woman, identified as Eliana Ramos, 18, was found dead in her home in Montevideo by relatives, television channel Saeta reported. Preliminary examinations indicated sudden death caused by malnutrition, the report said.

Her sister, 22-year-old Luisel Ramos, died of heart failure in August while performing a catwalk show at a Montevideo hotel.

Her death sparked a new debate within the modeling industry over "0-sized" models. Other deaths of models have been reported in Brazil, most recently in November.

elianalv9.th.jpg eliana2xa0.th.jpg

This is so sad. My thought are with the parents... Hopefully they are able to stand the pain. :(

And the models/girls who suffer from anorexia too of course.

And now I want to see ppl who still say the models are healthy and they're naturally thin etc. Yeah. Here you are. :no:

After losing the first daughter the family should have noticed that the second one wasn't ok either. I mean, they already knew what could happen.

That's what I think, too. But maybe they were making her get skinnier to model? I mean, they might have been a poor family or something and the only income was their daughters modeling work, so... :idk: I hope that isn't the case. It's like what Ana Carolina Reston's mother said... "No amount of money is worth the life of your child"

After losing the first daughter the family should have noticed that the second one wasn't ok either. I mean, they already knew what could happen.

That's what I think, too. But maybe they were making her get skinnier to model? I mean, they might have been a poor family or something and the only income was their daughters modeling work, so... :idk: I hope that isn't the case. It's like what Ana Carolina Reston's mother said... "No amount of money is worth the life of your child"

She's right and this girl's family should think the same because if they're really poor, they can't get more money anymore, unless they have another model daughter who can also die.

Gosh, poor parents. I don't think they could really help it. Just look at yourselves girls. It doesn't matter how many times someone says that going on a friggin strict diet (a.k.a. starving) is bad for you and you don't need it, you still do it. I bet that most of you don't listen to your parents either when they say it's enough.

Nope, this one's on her, 100%. Stupid girl. I mean, the warning sign was pretty much smacked into her face: I dunno about you ppl, but when a sis with the same profession as you, drops dead from the same disease you're battling.... if anything, that should hit home, don't you think? Guess not...I wonder if she would've even listened if god almighty himself would point out she was going to die. :/

Oh well *sigh* R.I.P. girl.

This actually leans towards it not being just anorexia that killed the girls. Crazy, I know. Its not to say they weren't anorexia, but likely, since they're sisters, there's some genetic element that their bodies and anorexia can't mix. Still damn dangerous.

I pray for the family.

And in defence of the model, anorexia is a disease. A mental disease with physical consequences. Assuming none of you have had a mental disorder (and some of you may have) its not something you just get over instantly. She might have even tried, but six months is not a long time to recover. It takes years upon years. Her body and her mind may have not let her recover.

Its very sad.

I've been diagnosed with an ED, so I know what you're saying. It's life-long, really; you don't recover completely.

It could have been not just anorexia that killed her. Maybe she just wasn't taught how to balance her diet, so didn't get the right vitamins and whatnot.

Nope, this one's on her, 100%. Stupid girl. I mean, the warning sign was pretty much smacked into her face: I dunno about you ppl, but when a sis with the same profession as you, drops dead from the same disease you're battling.... if anything, that should hit home, don't you think? Guess not...I wonder if she would've even listened if god almighty himself would point out she was going to die. :/

She just died. :\ Maybe show some respect.

This is not TRUE! she died as well as her sister because both have a problem in their hearts a mecanic one that cant be detected easily, when her sister died some moths ago their parents made her go through a lot of exams to see if she had any malnutrition problems, nothing came out.

After the autopsy they detected this heart problem that cant be detected easily only by doing a special DNA exam.

I've been diagnosed with an ED, so I know what you're saying. It's life-long, really; you don't recover completely.

It could have been not just anorexia that killed her. Maybe she just wasn't taught how to balance her diet, so didn't get the right vitamins and whatnot.

She just died. :\ Maybe show some respect.

She died as well as her sister because both have a problem in their hearts a mecanic one that cant be detected easily, when her sister died some moths ago their parents made her go through a lot of exams to see if she had any malnutrition problems, nothing came out.

After the autopsy they detected this heart problem that cant be detected easily only by doing a special DNA exam.

In the article it wasn't mentioned any of the girls had a heart condition. It more or less said they died from malnutrition a.k.a. starvation. So that was where I based by answer on.

Maybe what I said came off as harsh and disrespectful, I did not mean it that way. It IS sad that they died, and it is sad that the industry influences them in such a way they feel the need to starve themselves :/

Still, their fate was in their own hands and they knew very well that they could die from it. Even if it was a heartcondition they inherited, it had to be triggered by something. It could just as well be that their hearts reacted that strongly on their strict 'diets' while someone else would be able to go on somewhat longer. :/

It's just that I can't really understand why the death of her sister didn't ring the alarm in her head. :huh: I mean, when you have an ED doesn't mean you've completely gone mad.

For those who have an ED or have hadone, could you answer this:

If your own sister dies from a heart attack which was most likely triggered by starvation, wouldn't that be a wake-up call for you? Wouldn't you think: "That could happen to me too if I don't watch out?" I mean, it's your life on the line. I think it's stupid she didn't take care of herself. I'm not saying recovery is easy, but she could've made the first steps in the right direction in those months after her older sister passed away.

Then again, I don't really know what goes around in your head when you've got a severe case of anorexia, but still, there's gotta be a point when you realize you could lose more than just weight: your life. Right?

Anyway, it's too late now. Let's just hope that this WILL BE a wakeupcall for other models, so that there won't be any horrible news like this to follow this up anytime soon.