Bellazon

Jessica Alba

Guest Anonymous

post-17383-1331273226_thumb.jpg

From The Editor

March 2012: The Honest Company

For March, we asked The Honest Company’s founders Jessica Alba and Christopher Gavigan to take the reigns as our guest editors. They’ll be sharing some of their best advice about non-toxic living, greening your home and nursery, and giving back to families in need all month long, plus check out our behind-the-scenes video with Jessica and Christopher at their awesome offices…Enjoy!

Dear Chalkboard Readers,

AS THE CREATORS AND FOUNDERS of a new company, Honest.com, we’re so excited to be teaming up with The Chalkboard, Pressed Juicery’s new site. We share a lot of common views—among them healthy living and giving back—and we are so excited to be March’s guest editor team. We’ll be sharing some of our favorite tips for “greening” your home, common toxic ingredients everyone should avoid, useful advice for balancing work and family, and even sharing our brand new products with The Chalkboard readers.

Before we talk about The Honest Company, let us give you a little background information about us. All the founders of Honest have kids under 4 years old and with such busy lives (Jessica is an in-demand actress and Christopher is an author of Healthy Child, Healthy World, and authority on environmental health) and a desire to find products that were healthy and non-toxic for our children, we realized there was a dearth of good options—a master brand of healthy, beautiful products that actually performed. Thus, Honest was born.

The Honest Company is a monthly service that delivers customized bundles of non-toxic, eco-friendly, adorable products directly to your front door. And beyond creating amazingly effective and beautiful products, we also want to have over-the-top awesome service and programs that help parents create healthier homes – whatever we can do to support healthy, happy families. Fundamentally, we want to re-create the family brand and go WAY beyond what people expect from a business – do something that makes the world a better place.

We chose “honest” because we want to be a company people can really trust, we want to be transparent about what we make and do and we want to be authentic to ourselves. And honestly, we AREN’T perfect and the business journey is like parenting in the sense we are embracing the journey and always trying to do our best and become better. We are real, tangible people and parents that understand what families need and we want to deliver on that – not some big corporation with no social consciousness that only cares about making a profit.

A membership to our Diapers Bundle costs less than $20 dollars a week – which includes a full month’s supply of all your child’s diapers. And for a limited time, we still are offering a one month supply of Wipes! The Family Essentials Bundle costs less than $7 dollars a week – which includes 5 products that members can personalize every month from our Bath & Skin Care and Home Cleaning product lines. And very soon (in less than 4 weeks), we’ll be offering new ways for people to personalize their shopping experience even more, like buying individual items (1 here, or 2 of these) and gifting – which every new Mom would love, or even college students who could use great cleaning essentials.

Charity is really important to us personally and we’ve made sure to make it a core pillar of The Honest Company. We want to help ALL families – not just the ones that can buy our products. So with every product purchased, The Honest Company donates product, money and time to address critical issues affecting families. This year, our nonprofit partner is Baby2Baby – who supplies families in need with essential baby clothing and gear, like baby diapers. And as we grow, we will add additional charities, because of our belief in being an active part of transforming this world for the better.

Overall, we are excited about doing it better – in every way – and hope to you can join us in this journey!

Christopher Gavigan & Jessica Alba

http://thechalkboardmag.com/from-the-editor

A.C.O.D., starring Amy Poehler, Adam Scott, & Jane Lynch, begins filming in Atlanta on Monday

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/2012/03...anta-on-monday/

Hello everybunny http://instagr.am/p/HxY1J3suuX/

post-17383-1331367238_thumb.jpg

Someone is really into golf n basketball all day.... http://instagr.am/p/HxCy-vMupE/

post-17383-1331367266_thumb.jpg

Haven's food for the week http://instagr.am/p/HxCgH4Muo-/

post-17383-1331367304_thumb.jpg

Jessica Alba's "AHA!" Moments

The star opens up about starting the Honest Company and other ways that being a mother is shaping her life. Plus, plenty of gorgeous Jessica Alba photos from her very first shoot with supercute daughters Haven and Honor Warren!

By Ana Connery

post-17383-1331719650_thumb.jpgpost-17383-1331719844_thumb.jpgpost-17383-1331719855_thumb.jpgpost-17383-1331719864_thumb.jpgpost-17383-1331719884_thumb.jpgpost-17383-1331719900_thumb.jpg

post-17383-1331719909_thumb.jpgpost-17383-1331719923_thumb.jpgpost-17383-1331719930_thumb.jpgpost-17383-1331719938_thumb.jpg

“I’m so sorry!” Jessica Alba is late—and looks frazzled. “My washing machine exploded and my three-year-old fell down the stairs wearing my high heels. We had to have a chat about why we don’t wear heels on the stairs.”

It’s a sun-soaked Santa Monica day at the offices of the Honest Company (honest.com), Jessica’s latest project: a nostalgic monthly diaper and babywipe delivery service that’s anything but old-school. The plant-based disposable diapers and other products contain no toxic chemicals whatsoever—and they’re cute with a capital C! The former Dark Angel and star of both Fantastic Four and Spy Kids reaches across the table and grabs some diaper designs to show me. There are funky skulls for baby boys and ice cream cones for little girls. “I don’t know why people think natural products have to be ugly,” she says. If you’ve ever run out of diapers (“It’s the worst moment ever, especially when it’s late at night,” says Jessica), you’ll love her new website. Just log on, shop, and poof! A box of adorable baby goods shows up on your doorstep a few days later.

As I listen to her talk about babies, I’m reminded she gave birth to her second daughter, Haven, a mere five months earlier. She looks, well, a-ma-zing. Her hair is pulled back into a high bun, showing off the chiseled cheekbones and pouty lips that have helped land her on lists reserved for some of the world’s most beautiful people. “I put on a lot of weight with [my firstborn] Honor; it took a long time to get back in shape,” she says, only half-jokingly. “My husband [producer Cash Warren] made bacon for me every morning, and at night we ordered a minimum of five desserts.” Now in slim leggings, combat boots, and a loose-fitting black coat with deep pockets, where she’s hiding her hands (a tiny tattoo peeks out from one wrist), it’s hard to imagine she had that same experience with baby number two. “[by then] I had a toddler to take care of and I was starting this business, so I made healthier food choices, did prenatal yoga.” When I ask how she maintains consistency, she says she eats mostly organic and fresh, and considers her triple nonfat latte her biggest indulgence. It’s not like it’s that hard to figure out why she looks so good. As she relaxes into her chair and friendly chatter ensues, she slowly reveals what life is really like for an A-list–star mom and entrepreneur. Believe it or not, her big business idea was inspired by a load of baby laundry. Here, some of her other major “aha!” moments—for now.

Aha Moment 1: Don’t put a brown paper bag on your kid for nothing.

When I was pregnant with Honor, my mom said, “You have to pre-wash all the baby’s clothes in such-and-such brand detergent, because it’s for infant wear.” So I did…and I had a massive allergy attack. I had hives, sneezed my head off, and my eyes were tearing. And this detergent was geared toward babies! There was no way I was putting clothes washed in this on a newborn! If it made me feel that bad, imagine how a baby with no immune system would react! Then I did some research and learned there are petroleum-based chemicals in a lot of babycare products, even some of the so-called “earth-friendly” brands. Once I had bought brown diapers, telling myself, “You know what, they’re not cute, but they’re all-natural.” I was resigned to the fact that anything healthy wasn’t going to be attractive. But then I found out that the inside of the diaper had that same petroleum-based stuff in it that the other diapers had. I’d put an ugly brown diaper on my kid for nothing!

Aha Moment 2: Sometimes, you have to do things yourself.

I went to see Christopher Gavigan—he’s a leader in environmental health, and his book, Healthy Child, Healthy World: Creating a Cleaner, Greener, Safer Home, had taught me so much. I asked him if he’d be interested in starting a babycare-products company with me. Cash thought it was a great idea, too, so Christopher and I set about building the Honest Company. We deliver diapers, wipes, cleaners, and toiletries—all free of harmful chemicals—right to your door. And they’re cute! No brown diapers here!

Aha Moment 3: Kids don’t always have to know the truth.

I serve Honor flavored sparkling water—she thinks that it’s soda, and that’s what I let her think. I told her that “brown soda” is only for adults, and she believes me. Ha! And when the paparazzi follow us, and she asks me what they’re doing, I tell her “They’re just taking pictures. Isn’t that silly?” I don’t want her to have anxiety, so I tell her they do that to everyone, not just our family.

Aha Moment 4: Nobody else has to know the truth either.

You’d think that the best way to protect my family from the lies and criticisms the press can print about me would be to angrily deny them at every turn. But I’ve found out it’s better to do nothing, as long as it doesn’t deeply affect my family and their happiness. Whether it’s true or false, I won’t say anything. I think that’s just feeding into it, and it’s going to create more press than it needs to. My mom’s like, “It’s not true! That’s an outright lie!” And I tell her, “Yeah, but if I come out and say that’s an outright lie, then it’s going to be circulated again.”

Aha Moment 5: I’m turning into my mom!

When I was a kid, I told myself, “When I become a mother, I’m never going to say ‘Do it because I said so!’ to my children. I’ll definitely give them my reasons.” Yep, I’ve totally said it—and without giving reasons.

Aha Moment 6: In our house, I’m the bad cop.

I’m the disciplinarian. I think it’s because I was kind of a naughty kid myself: I’d push my parents’ buttons and test them to see how much I could get away with. Cash, meanwhile, was always the perfect kid—the straight-A student who was everyone’s sweetheart. It was never in him to be naughty. I think I just know, from me being that other kind of child, how to cut off bad behavior and redirect it. So when Honor tries to do something she shouldn’t, I have to say to Cash, “Let her know right from the beginning that she can’t.” I’ll put her in time-out and tell her, “Think about the choices you’ve made.” Then I’ll come back and say, “Now it’s time to stop crying and think.” Then I’ll come back again and ask her, “Now, what did you learn?”

Aha Moment 7: Getting nominated for a Golden Globe is cool. Saving the planet? Even cooler. But nothing seems as monumental as being a mom.

Before I had kids, I was always so focused on my career, and it was always such a big thing for me. But once I had kids, it changed. That’s probably the thing that’s surprised me the most about motherhood—just how secondary everything else is. Nothing else really matters to me aside from my children and their well-being.

Oh, and another thing...

Going from one child to two is easier. Having your first baby is just a complete and total mental shift!

To prep Honor for big sisterhood, we’d say things like, “You know, when the baby comes, babies can’t have lollipops or go on a swing. They can’t play dress-up.” Honor realized she was going to be the cool sister. Now, she’s really into being my helper. When I change Haven’s diaper, I ask her, “Can you throw this away for Mommy?” or “Can you get me the wipes?” She’s really into it. I tell her, “Oh, you’re such a good big sister!” and give her a high five.

My husband, Cash, is a super dad. If I’m with Haven, he’ll make Honor’s lunch or take her to the park. They see movies or draw together—she’ll even watch sports with him.

On weekends, we wake up and go to our favorite deli, where Honor has pancakes, bacon...and matzo ball soup. She's obsessed with that soup!

http://www.parenting.com/gallery/jessica-a...amp;dom=Jessica