Bellazon

Zack Snyder's "Justice League" (2017/2021)

PinkCouture

Thought I should start a thread for this as this is anticipated to be significantly different from 2017 Theatrical version (aka, "Josstic League").

"Zack Snyder's Justice League, commonly referred to as the "Snyder Cut", is the upcoming director's cut of the 2017 American superhero film Justice League. It presents Justice League—the fifth film of the DC Extended Universe (DCEU) and based on the DC Comics superhero team of the same name—as director Zack Snyder had intended it before he left the production. Like the theatrical release, Zack Snyder's Justice League follows the Justice League: Batman (Ben Affleck), Superman (Henry Cavill), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), the Flash (Ezra Miller), Aquaman (Jason Momoa), and Cyborg (Ray Fisher)—as they attempt to save the world from the catastrophic threat of Steppenwolf (Ciarán Hinds) and his army of Parademons."

"There are many differences between the theatrical Justice League and Zack Snyder's Justice League. While the basic framework of the story is the same, dozens of additional scenes, backstories, mythos, worldbuilding elements, new characters, and teases for upcoming films are present in Snyder's version but not the theatrical release. Zack Snyder's Justice League will not include any scenes shot by Whedon for the theatrical cut, and former Warner Bros. executives Jon Berg and Geoff Johns—who oversaw the production of the theatrical release—chose not to retain credit for Snyder's version.

Snyder has stated that his version of Justice League will not be set in the same continuity as Whedon's version. Jason Momoa said that James Wan's Aquaman (2018) takes place after Zack Snyder's Justice League rather than Whedon's version. Similarly, Wonder Woman (2017) director Patty Jenkins said that no DC director considers Whedon's Justice League canonical, and that she had worked with Snyder to ensure Wonder Woman maintained continuity with his film.

Due to the length of the cut, Warner Bros. and Snyder decided to release Zack Snyder's Justice League [in March 2021] as a four-part series before combining the episodes into a four-hour film [on HBO Max]."

From Wikipedia

13 hours ago, PinkCouture said:

Thought I should start a thread for this as this is anticipated to be significantly different from 2017 Theatrical version (aka, "Josstic League").

It would appear that the Snyder Cut has its own Wikipedia entry now, I guess it's only fitting for it to have its own BZ topic too. Besides, the Whedon version carries more than enough baggage of its own these days. :laugh:

If common sense had prevailed, Snyder wouldn't have been let near another comic book flick after BVS failed virtually across the board. It's become such an odd thing though, where despite the studio not necessarily liking the guy, a sizeable and weirdly sycophantic fanbase does, the studio likes money and knows the sycophants will give it to them.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

It would appear that the Snyder Cut has its own Wikipedia entry now, I guess it's only fitting for it to have its own BZ topic too. Besides, the Whedon version carries more than enough baggage of its own these days. :laugh:

Also, this will be on HBO Max (initially at least) instead of in the theaters. Although Zack did mention there is an IMAX version of this so we might be seeing this on there eventually :)

"Baggage" is kinda an understatement :nicole:

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

If common sense had prevailed, Snyder wouldn't have been let near another comic book flick after BVS failed virtually across the board. It's become such an odd thing though, where despite the studio not necessarily liking the guy, a sizeable and weirdly sycophantic fanbase does, the studio likes money and knows the sycophants will give it to them.

I think the whole DCU is a mess. There are a lot inconsistencies among the different films. I also think they are having challenges of with finding that sweet spot between being true to the characters and comedic effect. They didn't think things through thoroughly and strategize their approach effectively---the overall plan seemed  to be very much rushed.

3 hours ago, PinkCouture said:

I think the whole DCU is a mess. There are a lot inconsistencies among the different films. I also think they are having challenges of with finding that sweet spot between being true to the characters and comedic effect. They didn't think things through thoroughly and strategize their approach effectively---the overall plan seemed  to be very much rushed.

It's a pity really, with Man of Steel they established a decent launching point for the continuity, which DC openly stated would lead to other characters gradually revealing themselves. Somewhere along the way, they took a left turn and started trying to achieve in two or three films what Marvel had done in twenty.

I suppose you'd have to say Snyder himself was a pretty big hindrance as well. Superman shouldn't be difficult to get right, you just have to show his values as clearly as you can. Batman has an "out" in that his parents were killed, so he turns his need for vengeance into a war for justice. It's not a hard motivation to follow and doesn't need a ton of screen time. Somehow Snyder got so far off-base that he ended up with characters who deviated radically from most portrayals and the audience was never really told why.

^

That reminds me of what he did in Watchmen.  It was a very oddly directed film, with a mixture of impressive and poorly done elements.  Pretty hard for someone who isn't a fan of the complicated and deep comic to really follow.  Character development was bad.

He did a good job with 300 though- the pulpy style is just like the comic.

I felt like Man of Steel was more like the first part of a 3 part story about Superman.  Definitely shouldn't have jumped directly into Justice League.  It was alright, overall not nearly as good as Batman begins.

11 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

That reminds me of what he did in Watchmen.  It was a very oddly directed film, with a mixture of impressive and poorly done elements.  Pretty hard for someone who isn't a fan of the complicated and deep comic to really follow.  Character development was bad.

He did a good job with 300 though- the pulpy style is just like the comic.

I felt like Man of Steel was more like the first part of a 3 part story about Superman.  Definitely shouldn't have jumped directly into Justice League.  It was alright, overall not nearly as good as Batman begins.

I do recall Snyder's characterisation of Rorschach in particular just completely missing the mark, it basically ignored all the nuances from the story and painted him as a tragic hero when really nothing could have been further from the point.

Similarly, his exploration of Superman's values mostly amounted to other characters monologuing at him about what they think Superman should be while he stares into space. There's very little to help you connect with his decision to become not just a hero, but the hero of another world.

That was actually something that the first Captain America film did really well, perhaps even more than it needed to since fighting Nazis is a pretty decent motivation in itself, but it took the time to show Rogers as someone who bristled at injustice and felt the need to stand up when something was wrong. By the time you reach the scene where they're pumping serum into him, you already know this guy is Captain America.

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like this will be arriving as a single, four-hour movie and not a miniseries consisting of four hour-long installments, as was first thought. Somehow, if they're no longer going to be courting the miniseries audience, the project makes even less sense to me.

Oddly as well, this thing is still yet to receive a proper release date other than March of this year, so chances are that we're still going to be hearing about it for at least another couple of months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 3:10 AM, Cult Icon said:

Some people have already seen the whole movie and there are leaks on the internet

HBO Max, March 8 - "Today’s release of Zack Snyder's Justice League was a mistake. We apologise for the trouble."

HBO Max, March 18 - "Today's release of Zack Snyder's Justice League was a mistake. We apologise for the trouble."

It's crazy how this one is Rated R.

I support the Snyder Cut.

Love hate relationship with Zack, need to watch the director's cut of The Watchmen which is 4 hours to see if it changes my opinion on that movie.