Bellazon

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2020)

Cult Icon

The trailer is kind of underwhelming for me.  Certainly the inclusion of the daughter could be either a hit or a flop.  Also, the original was intentionally filmed with low quality- fit the theme.  This was a bit too clear.   Given that I've seen his mini-series on America and how this was filmed during COVID.. I have doubts that it will be as insane as the original was.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Michael* said:

I must confess, I go hot and cold on Cohen, but as long as he doesn't fall back too hard on the "my wife" stuff or the other enduring memes the character produced, it should be worth a watch.

For me, the original Borat was by far the funniest movie he ever made. It is dense with quality.   I also think it worked because he made it after he did the character for a long time for his TV show.  But a lot of time has passed since Borat and he is probably rusty on the character.  Also he can't use Borat's full powers due to visibility.

Who's America?  was hit or miss,  so far Borat 2 reminds me of it. 

On 10/22/2020 at 5:37 AM, Cult Icon said:

For me, the original Borat was by far the funniest movie he ever made. It is dense with quality.   I also think it worked because he made it after he did the character for a long time for his TV show.  But a lot of time has passed since Borat and he is probably rusty on the character.  Also he can't use Borat's full powers due to visibility.

Yeah, which was a bit surprising, really. I remember hearing that even the original Borat featured people who during filming saw through the character as a put-on but were either too polite to bring it up or I think in some cases whose apprehension was sort of just edited around, and most of it still worked. That kind of stuff was always what I liked most about it, I was never quite as keen on the parts that you could tell were scripted.

On 10/22/2020 at 3:11 PM, Cult Icon said:

It is also causing Giuliani grief, as he has a tweet and news now about it

How crazy is it that we've all been beaten so senseless by such a relentless stream of nonsense that a story about the US president's personal lawyer being caught in a compromising position will probably just tip-toe quietly out of the news cycle soon enough.

On 10/25/2020 at 8:21 AM, Michael* said:

Yeah, which was a bit surprising, really. I remember hearing that even the original Borat featured people who during filming saw through the character as a put-on but were either too polite to bring it up or I think in some cases whose apprehension was sort of just edited around, and most of it still worked. That kind of stuff was always what I liked most about it, I was never quite as keen on the parts that you could tell were scripted.

It seems like most of Cohen's scripted stuff is just not very funny.  A lot of the humor comes from the accumulation of dread and then the release through shock.  Scripted humor lacks dread and other anxieties.  It's hard to recreate the emotions of shock and disgust & authentic reactions in a scripted skit.

Who is America? had 3 good segments IMHO.  The first one was the one where Cohen goes to a council of a village/small town and tells them that the Saudi Gov't and the Clinton foundation will build a huge mosque there.  The second one is his meeting with a Mormon republican party leader.  The third is the Male birth (probably a skit but it was disgusting so it worked).