Bellazon

Cate Blanchett
Thumbnail

Monkey

Sun, 09 August 2009

Cate Blanchett is NIDA Noteworthy

Cate Blanchett hits the red carpet at the NIDA Foundation Trust gala event on Saturday (August 8) in Sydney, Australia.

This year’s gala celebrated the National Institute of Dramatic Art’s 50th birthday at their Kensington premises.

Cate graduated from NIDA in 1992 and shortly thereafter, joined the Sydney Theatre Company’s production of Caryl Churchill’s Top Girls. She and her husband, director Andrew Upton, are currently artistic directors of STC.

post-19430-0-1446134559-78677_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Cate Blanchett: I Love Raising Boys

By Paul Chi

Friday November 27, 2009 11:00 AM EST

Cate Blanchett may be a fashion icon on the red carpet and a chameleon when it comes to played such roles such as Queen Elizabeth and Bob Dylan, but in her real life the actress is a mom who loves the daily chore of vacuuming!

"I enjoy vacuuming," Blanchett told PEOPLE at the Giorgio Armani/Ristorante dinner party in New York City this week in honor of welcoming the Sydney Theatre Company to the Big Apple for their production of A Streetcar Named Desire. "It's a very satisfying noise when you hear all that grit sucked up from the floor and into the machine."

Adds the Oscar winner: "Vacuuming is a big one for me and it's those simple things that keep my life grounded. It can be quite therapeutic!"

As a mother raising three young boys – Dashiell, 7, Roman, 5 and Ignatius, 19 months – with her playwright husband Andrew Upton, life at home can be a bit rambunctious for star, but she says she doesn't mind being the only lady in the house. "Having boys is great. It's a neat position to be in and I love the high energy that comes along in raising boys. It's fun."

Having recently wrapped a sold-out run of Streetcar both in Sydney and Washington D.C., Blanchett, 40, is bringing her acclaimed performance as Blanche DuBois to the Brooklyn Academy of Music starting Nov. 27 through Dec. 20. And how does the actress juggle her rigorous work schedule and still have time to help her kids settle in?

"Theater is an evening event so you can't put your kids to bed as often as you like but we seem to find a way to manage," she says. "The kids have been to New York before and they love it. We have lots of friends who've got kids and that helps. But they will come visit me at work. She adds, "We did a show earlier in the year in Sydney and our little child actually watched the show backstage, which is a really interesting and exciting place with people putting on makeup and costumes and so they love it."

And will her children follow mom and dad in becoming actors?

"My oldest already performs his own version on Hamlet," says Blanchett. "I'm afraid so!"

Thu, 03 December 2009

Cate Blanchett: A Play Date With Baby

Cate Blanchett spends some time with her 19-month-old son Ignatius Martin and a friend before heading to her play A Streetcar Named Desire on Wednesday (December 2) in Brooklyn, NY.

The 40-year-old actress and wife of playwright Andrew Upton currently plays Blanche DuBois in the new revival.

Cate, who was born in Australia, was excited to take part in the American play.

“It will be exhilarating to tour a classic American play,” Cate said. “As seen through our eyes, back to an American audience.”

Unfortunately, if you were planning on catching her performance, the entire 24-day run of Streetcar Named Desire is sold out.

post-19430-1259856129_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Monday, January 18, 2010

Cate Blanchett: Sydney Theatre Awards Winner

Bringing home the top honor, Cate Blanchett received the award for Best Actress in a leading role for “A Streetcar Named Desire” at the 2009 Sydney Theatre Awards on Monday evening (January 18).

Held at Club Swans in Sydney, Australia, the lovely actress was also up for Best Actress for her role in “The War of the Roses”.

During her speech, Miss Blanchett joked about beating herself out, saying, “But it does give me exquisite pleasure to pip the ubiquitous and, in my opinion, the much over-rated Cate Blanchett.”

She add, “I was at NIDA with her and she was a sh**.”

post-19430-1263859098_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...