Bellazon

News

Neo52285

increase in Under Armour sales surprise surprise :p

Under Armour’s Creative Director Talks Fashion and Breaking Into the Women’s Market

Gisele is not an athlete.” “Is modeling now a sport?” Those were just a few of the reactions to last week’s announcement that supermodel Gisele Bündchen is the newest addition to Under Armour’s “I Will What I Want” campaign, which also features such superstar female athletes as skier Lindsey Vonn, soccer player Kelley O’Hara, tennis pro Sloane Stephens, and ballet dancer Misty Copeland. 

The responses didn’t surprise the athletic-gear giant. In fact, they were included as social media banter in a 60-second campaign video, featuring Bündchen, which was released at the start of New York fashion week. This one was also in there: “Under Armour! WTF?”

But really, though, WTF?

Up until fairly recently, Under Armour didn’t make women’s clothes (it sold a men’s size small to women) and has been historically “just for athletes.” Make no mistake: The company is still going after pro athletes, with more force than ever before. (Just look at its current war with Nike for NBA star Kevin Durant; or the $90 million it is spending to outfit Notre Dame’s football team this season, a deal that used to belong to Adidas.)

This week it was announced that the Baltimore-based brand overtook Adidas this year for the number-two slot in highest footwear and apparel sales. Nike remains number one. But with its huge play for the women’s market (a space dominated by brands like Lululemon) and the highest-paid model in the world on its team, it could be anyone’s game for the taking. Meanwhile, the Bündchen video, which has been out a little over a week, has received more than 1,563,562 hits on YouTube.

We touched base with Under Armour’s SVP and executive creative director, Leanne Fremar, to find out what’s next on its global takeover agenda, why Gisele, and what other supermodels the brand is going after. Here’s what she had to say.

Why Gisele? I realize she is certainly athletic, but she is not a professional athlete like the rest of the campaign stars.   

Gisele is the latest addition to our constellation of Women of Will, as we call them, but she is not the only story. We wanted to feature a story about an athletic female, a woman who is obviously very well regarded in her field and also an incredible mother, wife, sister, philanthropist, daughter, etc. We just thought she would be an interesting choice.

Are you going after more top models or women of influence in the fashion world?

We don’t have further plans to feature any additional professional models. We want to highlight women from a diverse group of backgrounds.

How is the campaign affecting women’s sales?

We have seen an incredible increase in sales. Lots of items featured in the campaign are doing really well, like the Eclipse Bra Gisele wears in the film and the Seamless Plunge Sports Bra that Misty Copeland has on. The printed leggings are also getting a terrific response. And the Speedform shoe Gisele wears has been doing extremely well in all colors. 

Was it intentional to make this announcement during New York fashion week? What was the thought there?

Yes, we chose to reveal Gisele’s digital experience and 60-second film close to NYFW. We wanted to celebrate a very contradictory side of Gisele and also of Under Armour. She is seen at fashion week with full hair and makeup on the runway, which is not necessarily an image that you can relate to. We juxtaposed that Gisele to the one in the video, looking very raw and bare in a studio, where she is working out really hard and sweating and kicking and planking and really being herself. That was one contradiction. The other is that people have always thought of Under Armour as only a men’s brand or only an athlete brand. This was an opportunity to talk to women who enjoy sports and athleticism as part of their everyday lives as much as they enjoy things that come along, like fashion week. We knew people would have a strong opinion one way or another about Gisele and Under Armour.

As you probably know, a few of your competitors did presentations at fashion week this season. Is a presentation at NYFW the next step? Are you seriously looking into that?

It’s not something we are currently looking at, although never say never.

Why not?

We are just getting started with our “I Will What I Want” campaign and investing in our women’s business and growing our assortment. We opened a store in NYC in April, which has been very exciting for the women’s business in particular. I love NYFW and very much look forward to a day where Under Armour can be a part of it.  

Do you consider Under Armour to be both an athletic brand and a fashion brand?

Under Armour is, first and foremost, a performance brand and an innovation brand. We are very committed to being that. But you shouldn’t have to compromise style for function.

Are you looking to collaborate with fashion designers to up the style ante of your pieces?

Absolutely. We have had a few early conversations with some interesting collaborators. We will be talking about that in the not-too-far future.

• 2 weeks later...

A little more about her book and she will be back in Brazil in November for SPFW

A force of nature

Gisele Bündchen , who knows things and was classified as a " force of nature " by Costanza Pascolato , will release a book of photos to celebrate her 20 year career by Taschen . She has chose the art director Giovanni Bianco to select the pictures , and made a request : she wants to publish photos of all professionals with whom she have worked . Patrick Demarchelier , Steven Meisel , Helmut Newton , Mario Testino , and so on .

And indeed the purpose

Gisele is back to Brazil in early November to attend the Sao Paulo Fashion Week. Editing is summer , but that little feather , she will not parade in a bikini.

http://oglobo.globo.com/blogs/blog_gente_boa/posts/2014/09/22/gisele-bundchen-tera-livro-de-fotos-para-comemorar-20-anos-de-carreira-550267.asp

Gisele will be the guest of "Le Grand Journal" on September 30th in Paris. I hope my inscription for this TV Journal will be accepted. If not, I will wait outside for her. Tonight is the show for Balenciaga, hope she will be there for Alexander Wang

Gisele wrote an article in the Huffington Post!  :hehe:

Women and the Environment

In this special week where we had the historical Climate March and world leaders have gotten together to discuss the climate issues at the Climate Summit in New York, I want to share the experience I´ve lived in Kenya. I believe sharing knowledge and experiences is empowering for everyone!

For us to help the world become a better place, we have to learn about what is happening in different parts of the globe. When we break out of our bubbles, we can see how important it is for people at the frontline to be at the heart of finding and implementing solutions.

I went to Kenya, for example. I learned a lot about environmental and energy problems, and also how amazing women are when they work together. I saw for myself how climate problems impact the lives and livelihoods of women and girls. Too often, women suffer from environmental damages with little say in how to do things differently. At the same time, women face the brunt of the adversities every day.

Do you know how big an impact a simple wood-burning stove can have on a woman's life? People use these because they do not have modern sources of electricity. The stoves produce a lot of toxic smoke. This harms the environment and human health. More people die from this smoke than malaria -- globally, about 4.3 million every year. That´s horrible! In rural Kenya, however, people don't have other options -- only 4 percent have access to electricity.

Getting enough wood for the stoves is also a huge burden on women, who spend many hours collecting and carrying it. I wanted to see this for myself, so I went wood-gathering with some women from a village outside Kisumu city. At least twice a week they gather wood, leaving at dawn and coming home at dusk. Because so many nearby trees have already been cut down, they have to walk for many hours.

The day we set off, we walked more than five miles, which they said was a short trip. The heat was intense, and we had to carry heavy tools. The women told me they were worried about so much of the forest being cut down. They wondered where they would get wood in the future. When we arrived at a place to cut wood, we found it full of thorns that pricked our fingers. Each woman cut about 40 kilos -- enough to fill two huge suitcases. They carried it back on their heads. I experienced carrying only about a fifth of their normal load.

It made me see how modern energy is vital to people's lives. It´s unacceptable that in the 21st century there are still people with no access to energy, sanitation and water. Those women from Kisumu are strong and work hard to care for and feed their families, but they need new kinds of fuel.

Fortunately, more and more women in Kenya and in other countries are involved in solving this problem, like slow-cooking stoves made from local clay and smoke hoods that reduce pollution in homes by up to 70 percent. These stoves use 50 percent less wood -- it's a win-win for people and the environment.

Women must be heard. Their voices and ideas can greatly contribute to finding climate solutions that work locally and culturally. One of my favorite people on my trip to Kenya was Naomi, a community leader. She has developed a fireless cooker, which helps to keep food warm for eight hours after cooking, so fires can be put out to conserve wood and reduce inside smoke.

Even though she faces many challenges, Naomi maintains a refreshingly positive outlook on life. She shared with me the great joy she gets from making others laugh! I saw she was well-liked and respected by other women in her village. There are many women like her around the world: smart, strong and positive. We all benefit when they share their energy and their ideas, unrestricted by gender inequality. Our common environment is too big a concern to leave anyone out of better caring for it.

I believe we should all have a dream no matter what our circumstances are. The women I met in Kenya reminded me of how important it is to never give up. They showed me that empowering women means empowering humanity. We should always believe in ourselves and our power to make a difference.

Special thanks to UNEP and Practical Action for allowing us to have this experience. This piece is an edited version of the op-ed that was originally written for, and published on, the UN Women Beijing+20 campaign.

This post is part of a month-long series produced by The Huffington Post in conjunction with a variety of events being held in September recognizing the threats posed by climate change. Those events include the UN's Climate Summit 2014 (that was held Sept. 23, 2014, at UN headquarters in New York) and Climate Week NYC (Sept. 22-28, 2014, throughout New York City).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gisele-bundchen/women-and-the-environment_b_5889660.html

This Brazilian journalist writes she will star in the S/S Chanel campaign!  :doofywave:

Entitled to the black blocks at the end of the fashion show , Chanel threw his swivel gun everywhere and protested against it. The brand came out in defense of the environment , alerting you to the issue of global warming , also called for the end of wars , called for women's freedom of expression and the right of marriage to all, regardless of sexual orientation of each - groups rapidly defenses gay rights hurried on social networks to express their support to the initiative . Ecological advocate , protest was precisely the Brazilian model , who is a Goodwill Ambassador of the United Nations Programme for the Environment . Besides starring in the campaign line of makeup brand , Gisele also be the star of the summer campaign of Chanel .

http://epoca.globo.com/colunas-e-blogs/bruno-astuto/noticia/2014/09/bgisele-bundchenb-protesta-pelo-meio-ambiente-e-usa-megafone-em-desfile-da-chanel.html

This would make her first mainline Chanel campaign ever (hope its true)