Bellazon

TV Horror/SciFi News

Prettyphile

Ryan Murphy Turning Creepy Real Life Tale of “The Watcher” into Limited Series for Netflix

Back in 2015, you may recall, a creep who called himself “The Watcher” forced a family to move out of their house in the wake of increasingly disturbing behavior towards them, and it didn’t take long for big names in Hollywood to compete for the film rights to the unsettling story. Netflix had acquired the rights back in 2018, with a feature film planned at the time.

Those plans, however, have changed. Deadline reports that the story of “The Watcher” will now be told through a limited series, created by Ryan Murphy (“American Horror Story”).

Ian Brennan (“Glee”) co-created and will produce alongside Murphy.

Additionally, Naomi Watts and Bobby Cannavale have been set to star.

Deadline details, “The series, which evokes the first season of Murphy’s hit American Horror Story, is inspired by the infamous “Watcher” house in New Jersey. A couple bought the 1905 Dutch colonial revival in 2014 for nearly $1.4 million. They were forced to abandon their new home over chilling letters from “The Watcher” who claimed to have been “watching” the house for decades. “I am the Watcher. Bring me your young blood,” one of the notes read. The family put the house back on the market. It didn’t sell and they rented it out. In 2017, the renter received a sinister letter from “The Watcher” too, threatening their life. The house ultimately sold in 2019 for 959K. The identity of “The Watcher” has remained a mystery.”

Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman (Catfish) are on board to executive produce the limited series for Netflix. Joost and Schulman were originally going to direct the film adaptation of the tale.

@COP11 :chicken:

Anne Rice’s “Interview With the Vampire” Series Coming to AMC in 2022!

image.png

Anne Rice was recently shopping around a massive television and film package for both The Vampire Chronicles and The Lives of the Mayfair Witches, you may recall, with AMC Networks acquiring the package last year and therefore landing the rights to all novels in both series’. Today brings an update, as an “Interview With the Vampire” series has been ordered!

Deadline reports that AMC has given the green light to a series adaptation of “Interview With the Vampire,” which is being planned at this time as an eight-part series.

Rolin Jones (“Friday Night Lights”) is creating, showrunning, and writing the series. Deadline notes, “The series will launch on AMC and its sister streamer AMC+ in 2022.”

“The challenge of adapting for television the groundbreaking and immensely compelling work of Anne Rice is both intimidating and exhilarating,” Mark Johnson (“Breaking Bad”) said in a statement shared by Deadline. “Having previously produced films from such singular works, I recognize both the responsibility and the obligation we owe the material. I strongly believe that with AMC and Rolin Jones we are equipped to meet this challenge and to thrill and entertain both the loyal Anne Rice fan and the viewer who is just now discovering her work.”

The “Interview With the Vampire” saga of course centers on vampires Louis and Lestat, characters played by Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in the 1996 feature film directed by Neil Jordan.

The Anne Rice catalog that AMC Networks has acquired features The Vampire Chronicles series: Interview with the VampireThe Vampire LestatThe Queen of the DamnedThe Tale of the Body ThiefMemnoch The DevilThe Vampire ArmandPandoraVittorio the VampireBlood and GoldPrince LestatPrince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis, and Blood Communion: A Tale of Prince LestatThe Lives of The Mayfair Witches series: The Witching HourLasherTaltos; and The Vampire Chronicles/The Lives Of The Mayfair Witches crossover novels: MerrickBlackwood Farm and Blood Canticle.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:38 PM, Prettyphile said:

@COP11 :chicken:

Anne Rice’s “Interview With the Vampire” Series Coming to AMC in 2022!

image.png

Anne Rice was recently shopping around a massive television and film package for both The Vampire Chronicles and The Lives of the Mayfair Witches, you may recall, with AMC Networks acquiring the package last year and therefore landing the rights to all novels in both series’. Today brings an update, as an “Interview With the Vampire” series has been ordered!

Deadline reports that AMC has given the green light to a series adaptation of “Interview With the Vampire,” which is being planned at this time as an eight-part series.

Rolin Jones (“Friday Night Lights”) is creating, showrunning, and writing the series. Deadline notes, “The series will launch on AMC and its sister streamer AMC+ in 2022.”

“The challenge of adapting for television the groundbreaking and immensely compelling work of Anne Rice is both intimidating and exhilarating,” Mark Johnson (“Breaking Bad”) said in a statement shared by Deadline. “Having previously produced films from such singular works, I recognize both the responsibility and the obligation we owe the material. I strongly believe that with AMC and Rolin Jones we are equipped to meet this challenge and to thrill and entertain both the loyal Anne Rice fan and the viewer who is just now discovering her work.”

The “Interview With the Vampire” saga of course centers on vampires Louis and Lestat, characters played by Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in the 1996 feature film directed by Neil Jordan.

The Anne Rice catalog that AMC Networks has acquired features The Vampire Chronicles series: Interview with the VampireThe Vampire LestatThe Queen of the DamnedThe Tale of the Body ThiefMemnoch The DevilThe Vampire ArmandPandoraVittorio the VampireBlood and GoldPrince LestatPrince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis, and Blood Communion: A Tale of Prince LestatThe Lives of The Mayfair Witches series: The Witching HourLasherTaltos; and The Vampire Chronicles/The Lives Of The Mayfair Witches crossover novels: MerrickBlackwood Farm and Blood Canticle.

Oh My!!!!Cannot wait!

Jennifer Tilly Introduces the Young Cast of “Chucky” Series in New Behind the Scenes Photos

Production is underway on Don Mancini‘s “Chucky” series for USA and SYFY, and returning franchise star Jennifer Tilly has taken to social media to share more shots from the set.

Meet the fresh faces and reunite with some very familiar faces below!

Brad Dourif is back as Chucky and Jennifer Tilly is back as Tiffany in “Chucky,” which will continue the storylines from the *original* movies and their recent sequels, Curse and Cult of Chucky. Also returning are Fiona Dourif as Nica Pierce, Alex Vincent as Andy Barclay, and Christine Elise as Kyle. Devon Sawa (Final DestinationHunter Hunter) also stars.

“Chucky” has been described as a “fresh take on the franchise” that’ll “explore Chucky’s character with a depth that is uniquely afforded by the television series format.”

In the series, “After a vintage Chucky doll turns up at a suburban yard sale, an idyllic American town is thrown into chaos as a series of horrifying murders begin to expose the town’s hypocrisies and secrets. Meanwhile, the arrival of enemies — and allies — from Chucky’s past threatens to expose the truth behind the killings, as well as the demon doll’s untold origins as a seemingly ordinary child who somehow became this notorious monster.”

“Chucky” is executive produced by Nick Antosca (“Channel Zero”).

“It’s Not a Ripley Story”: Noah Hawley Teases FX’s Upcoming “Alien” Television Series

image.png

Announced at the tail end of last year, Disney is working on the first-ever television series set within the Alien universe for FX/Hulu, with Noah Hawley (“Legion,” “Fargo”) developing.

What we know so far, which isn’t very much at all, is that the series will be set on Earth. FX had teased, “Expect a scary thrill ride set not too far in the future here on Earth.”

Speaking with Vanity Fair this week, Hawley teases some more details about the largely mysterious upcoming series. For starters, don’t expect the return of Ellen Ripley in this one.

“What’s next for me, it looks like, is [an] Alien series for FX, taking on that franchise and those amazing films by Ridley Scott and James Cameron and David Fincher,” Hawley explains.

He continues, “Those are great monster movies, but they’re not just monster movies. They’re about humanity trapped between our primordial, parasitic past and our artificial intelligence future—and they’re both trying to kill us. Here you have human beings and they can’t go forward and they can’t go back. So I find that really interesting.”

“It’s not a Ripley story,” Hawley makes sure to add. “She’s one of the great characters of all time, and I think the story has been told pretty perfectly, and I don’t want to mess with it. It’s a story that’s set on Earth also. The alien stories are always trapped… Trapped in a prison, trapped in a space ship. I thought it would be interesting to open it up a little bit so that the stakes of “What happens if you can’t contain it?” are more immediate.”

Hawley also notes during the interview, “On some level it’s also a story about inequality. In mine, you’re also going to see the people who are sending [the people who have to do the dirty work]. So you will see what happens when the inequality we’re struggling with now isn’t resolved. If we as a society can’t figure out how to prop each other up and spread the wealth, then what’s going to happen to us?” Hawley would seem to be referring to the Weyland-Yutani Corporation and the people who have truly been pulling all the strings over there.

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, midnofgrizman said:

So I've seen a lot of American Horror Story hate lately. I guess it's in fashion to hate on it now, but let me argue American Horror Story's case and guess why people have such problems with it.

1. People compare seasons where they shouldn't. The point of the show is to be "different" every season. Murder House was slow burning mystery, Asylum was predominantly human based horror and Hotel was over the top camp-slasher-70's-gore. They're not supposed to be cohesive. This isn't the Walking Dead or Game of Thrones, they are not looking for the same tone across each season because it's an anthology.

2. People expect too much from it. It's always been camp entertainment. Yeah, it comments occasionally on social issues but it has never proclaimed to be an intuitive commentary on society or anything. Cult, for example, is grounded in the US 2016 Pres election. They aren't doing it subtly. The two leads are bad stereotypes of an irrational republican and an irrational democrat. They're SUPPOSED to be like that. This is a show that cast Lady Gaga and Cher, it's not supposed to be taken entirely seriously.

10000% agree. I'm a huge fan of the show and I don't expect to be award winning. It's a creepy good time at best.

“Stranger Things” Spinoffs Reportedly Being Considered By Netflix

Netflix‘s hit series “Stranger Things” is finally returning sometime in 2022, but could the series be heading into spinoff territory down the road?

Speaking at a conference this week, Netflix’s Ted Sarandos indicated that “Stranger Things” is a “franchise being born,” suggesting that we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg.

Deadline reports, “Stranger Things is “a franchise being born,” Sarandos said, and hinted at “spinoffs.” There has been talk that star Millie Bobby Brown could be taking lead in an extension of the Duffer Bros universe under the terms of her own big Netflix deal.”

As you might expect, “Stranger Things” is currently one of Netflix’s most popular properties, with “Stranger Things 3” ranking near the top of the streamer’s “Most Popular Series and Films” list. “Stranger Things 3” was reportedly watched by 67 million accounts in its first 28 days, bested only by the shows “Sex/Life,” “The Witcher,” “Lupin: Part 1,” and “Bridgerton.”

All this to say, it’s no big surprise that Netflix has plans on “Stranger Things” following in the footsteps of small screen horror franchises like “The Walking Dead” and “American Horror Story” by launching offshoots and spinoffs, and there’s certainly no limit to the potential that can be mined from the horrors of Hawkins and the characters who inhabit the troubled town.

HBO’s “The Last of Us”: First Look at Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey as Joel and Ellie!

image.png

HBO‘s “The Last of Us” television series is currently filming, and tonight brings our first look at Pedro Pascal (“The Mandalorian”) as Joel and Bella Ramsey (“Game of Thrones”) as Ellie.

The Last of Us creator Neil Druckmann tweets tonight, “When I first saw them on set in full costume, I was like: “Hooooooly shit! It’s Joel & Ellie! 😭!”

Expect more soon…

Kantemir Balagov (Beanpole) will be directing the pilot episode of HBO’s “The Last of Us” series, with Jasmila Žbanić (Quo vadis, Aida) and Ali Abbasi (Border) also directing episodes.

Gabriel Luna (Terminator: Dark Fate) is playing Tommy, the brother of Pascal’s Joel. Anna Torv, Jeffrey Pierce, Murray Bartlett and Con O’Neil will also star in the series.

Merle Dandridge is back as “Marlene, the head of the Fireflies, a resistance movement struggling for freedom against an oppressive military regime.” She voiced the role in the games. Nico Parker will be playing Joel’s daughter Sarah, who we met in the original game.

“The series takes place twenty years after modern civilization has been destroyed. Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle Ellie, a 14-year-old girl, out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey, as they both must traverse across the U.S. and depend on each other for survival.”

Craig Mazin (“Chernobyl”) is developing the series for HBO, and he’ll be working with Neil Druckmann to write and executive produce the small screen adaptation.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Haven't updated this is awhile, lots of stuff coming out.

Don’t Expect “The Last of Us” Season 2 Until 2025… At the Earliest

image.png

HBO’s video game-based horror series “The Last of Us” kicked off with massive success this year, but when can you expect Season 2 to bring Ellie and Joel back to HBO?

At the absolute earliest, HBO is currently looking at “some time in 2025” as the target date for “The Last of Us” Season 2 to premiere, but that’s all dependent on how the WGA strike plays out in the coming months. Speaking with Deadline, HBO’s Francesca Orsi notes that everything is up in the air while writers continue to battle studios and streamers for fair wages.

Orsi explains, “We were looking at The Last of Us for some time in 2025. And The White Lotus was ideally looking to go in 2024, but there’s some question about timing of the strike.”

“While everything at this moment is pencils down, I’m hopeful that we can come to terms sooner than later,” Orsi elaborates. “Otherwise we will have to assess what is the end of the ’24 schedule, what are the shows that are going to be delivered for 2025. At this point, those shows that I’m looking to air wouldn’t necessarily be ready if this strike lasts six to nine months. So yes, that’s a big question for us, but I think we’ll cross that road once we come to it.”

“There isn’t much that we can go into on The Last of Us, given that Craig [Mazin] can’t really initiate in any meaningful way from a writing or casting standpoint,” Orsi continues. “But he and Neil [Druckmann] have a good sense of what it is that he’s going to be taking on. We’ll be moving the show from Calgary to Vancouver. All I can say is he’s taking a big swing from both an entertainment standpoint, related to the Clickers, but also just the more nuanced, complex character dynamic between our characters, Joel, Ellie and beyond.”

Season 2 is expected to adapt the second video game. Stay tuned for more.

HBO’s “The Last of Us” takes place twenty years after modern civilization has been destroyed. Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle Ellie, a 14-year-old girl, out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey, as they both must traverse across the U.S. and depend on each other for survival.

Pedro Pascal (“The Mandalorian”) stars in the series as Joel and Bella Ramsey (“Game of Thrones”) plays Ellie. Gabriel Luna (Terminator: Dark Fate) plays Tommy, the brother of Pascal’s Joel. Storm Reid, Anna Torv, Jeffrey Pierce, Nick Offerman, Merle Dandridge, Nico Parker, Murray Bartlett and Con O’Neil also star in the first season of the hit series.

Craig Mazin (“Chernobyl”) developed the series for HBO, and worked directly alongside Neil Druckmann to write and executive produce the small screen adaptation.

‘Masters of the Universe: Revolution’ Brings Meg Foster Back to the Franchise in 2024!

image.png

The focus is on the battle between He-Man and Skeletor in Netflix‘s next animated series “Masters of the Universe: Revolution,” the follow-up to “Masters of the Universe: Revelation.”

Mattel, Inc. announced today that Meg Foster, known to genre fans for her role as Evil-Lyn in the 1987 cult classic live action Masters of the Universe film, returns to Eternia with an all-new role in the new series “Masters of the Universe: Revolution,” set to launch globally on Netflix in 2024.

Foster joins the animated voice cast as Motherboard, an ancient sorceress of technology in the fight for the soul of Eternia.

Foster joins the fray as a formidable force against the Masters, focused on plunging Eternia into imminent darkness. Acting as Hordak’s liasion on Eternia, Motherboard is a powerful sentient artificial intelligence that uses her nanovirus powers to manipulate Skeletor and the people of Eternia as she aims to ensnare the planet, and Grayskull, as a prize for Hordak.

“My part in Masters of the Universe more than 35 years ago remains one of my most cherished roles,” said Meg Foster. “I am both thrilled and honored to come back into the fold to embody a brilliant, all-new villainous character that adds color to the vibrant storytelling that Kevin Smith and Mattel have brought to life for fans around the world.”

“Masters of the Universe: Revolution” is an all-new story that takes the classic He-Man vs. Skeletor rivalry to places audiences have never before experienced. It’s technology up against magic as He-Man and the heroic warriors face the forces of Skeletor and a deadly threat to the planet in the next epic chapter in the battle for Eternia. Foster joins Revolution’s all-star cast which includes Chris Wood as He-Man, Melissa Benoist as Teela, Emmy nominee Mark Hamill as Skeletor, and William Shatner in a still-to-be announced role.

“It’s not often that original and beloved actors return to their legacy franchises, so we are excited for the opportunity to welcome Meg Foster back to Eternia,” said Fred Soulie, Senior Vice President and General Manager at Mattel Television. “Her presence in the original live action film left an undeniable impact on fans, so much so that it cemented the film in the pop culture zeitgeist for over 30 years, causing her formidable work as Evil-Lyn to set the stage for Meg to enrapture audiences once again, now as the villainous Motherboard.”

“Masters of the Universe: Revolution” is executive produced by Mattel’s Fred Soulie, Rob David and Christopher Keenan, as well as Ted Biaselli and Kevin Smith.

Andy Muschietti Shares First “Welcome to Derry” Behind the Scenes Photo

image.png

Filming kicked off this month on the HBO Max series “Welcome to Derry,” an official prequel to the two Stephen King-based IT movies from Andy Muschietti. Taking to Instagram over the weekend, Muschietti shared a first-look behind the scenes photo from the set.

The photo, which you’ll find below, shows us the office door of Derry’s Chief of Police Clint Bowers, a new member of the Bowers family we’ll be meeting in “Welcome to Derry.”

Henry Bowers was of course the leader of the Bowers Gang that tormented the Losers’ Club in Stephen King’s classic horror story, and we’ve also met Butch Bowers (Henry’s father) and Connor Bowers (Henry’s cousin) in Muschietti’s movie adaptations. Butch Bowers was a cop, so it makes sense that another family member was the Chief of Police some years prior.

But who exactly is Clint Bowers? We’ll find out soon.

Andy Muschietti and Barbara Muschietti and Jason Fuchs are on board the Pennywise prequel project from Warner Bros. Television, with Muschietti set to direct several episodes.

Taylour Paige (Zola), Jovan Adepo (“Watchmen”), Chris Chalk (“Perry Mason”), James Remar (Oppenheimer), Madeleine Stowe (Revenge) and Stephen Rider (Daredevil) star.

Variety had reported last year, “The series will begin in the 1960s in the time leading up to the events of It: Part One, the 2017 film based on the Stephen King horror novel. The story is also said to include the origin story of Pennywise the Clown.”

Jason Fuchs (Wonder Woman, Ice Age: Continental Drift) and Brad Caleb Kane (“Moonhaven,” “Black Sails,” “Fringe”) will serve as co-showrunners for the prequel series.

Published in 1986, Stephen King’s massive novel was of course first turned into a mini-series in 1990, with Tim Curry playing the role later played by Bill Skarsgård in the movies.

The tale centers on the town of Derry, Maine, where a group of friends called the Losers’ Club battle Pennywise the killer clown first as kids, and then 27 years later as adults.

“The Clearing” – Hulu Original Series’ New Trailer Gives Closer Look at Eerie Cult

The upcoming Hulu Original Series “The Clearing,” based on the best-selling crime thriller In The Clearing by author J.P. Pomare, unveiled a first trailer this afternoon that gives a closer look at the cult at the center of the series.

In the new trailer, one character ominously asks a child, “Are you ready for your Clearing?”

Watch it below.

“The Clearing” is created and written by Elise McCredie and Matt Cameron, with co-writer Osamah Sami, and draws inspiration from real-life cults in Australia and around the world. Look for this series to arrive next month, on May 24, 2023.

The eight-episode series is “an emotional and psychological thriller that follows the nightmares of a cult and a woman who’s forced to face the demons from her past in order to stop the kidnapping and coercion of innocent children in the future.”

Teresa Palmer (“Discovery of Witches,” Lights Out), Miranda Otto (Talk to Me, Annabelle: Creation), and Guy Pearce (Prometheus, Ravenous) lead the Australian cast that also includes Hazem Shammas (“Safe Harbour”), Mark Coles-Smith (“Mystery Road”), Kate Mulvany (“The Twelve”), and Julia Savage (“Blaze,” “Mr. Inbetween”).

The teaser highlights Palmer as the protagonist coping with trauma of her own, complicating her bid to save innocent children. Filmed across Victoria, the teaser instills a foreboding tone that promises to blur the lines between past and present and reality and nightmare. Check out the first look trailer below and images of Miranda Otto as a cult leader.

Pomare’s source novel drew inspiration from a real-life cult known as “The Family,” which was active in Victoria from the ’60s through the ’90s and one of the few founded by women. That it preyed upon children means we can likely expect this Hulu Original Series to get very dark.

“The Clearing” is directed by Jeffrey Walker (“Young Rock,” “Lambs of God”) and Gracie Otto (“Seriously Red,” “Bump,” “Deadloch”).

Hulu premieres the first two episodes of the eight-episode psychological thriller on May 24, 2023, with subsequent episodes to follow every Wednesday.

“Gen V” – Eric Kripke Gives Release Update on “The Boys” Spinoff Series

A first-look teaser at “The Boys” spinoff series “Gen V” promised a bloody good time late last year but with no word on when to expect it. Now, thanks to producer Eric Kripke, we can expect school to begin this Fall.

Kripke amusingly tweeted, “AND SO IT BEGINS. #GenV coming Fall 2023. Website link below. (Trailer, premiere date, all of it being diligently worked on. It’ll be worth the wait. Hold onto your dicks & vaginas).”

The website Kripke refers to is for “Godolkin University,” a work-in-progress official site for the fictional Vought facility training emerging young superheroes. The site also reinforces Kripke’s announcement to expect the spinoff series this Fall. You can head over to Godolkin University for a brief tour now.

Based on the first look trailer and Kripke’s promises of “dicks & vaginas,” it’s safe to assume that “Gen V” will get just as viciously violent and funny as its parent series.

Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters are showrunners for “Gen V,” which is said to be “an irreverent, R-rated series that explores the lives of hormonal, competitive Supes as they put their physical, sexual, and moral boundaries to the test, competing for the best contracts in the best cities.”

Amazon’s official description for the new spinoff series continues, “It’s part college show, part Hunger Games–with all the heart, satire, and raunch of The Boys.”

Jaz Sinclair, Chance Perdomo, Lizze Broadway, Shelley Conn, Maddie Phillips, London Thor, Derek Luh, Asa Germann, Patrick Schwarzenegger, Sean Patrick Thomas, Marco Pigossi, Clancy Brown, Alexander Calvert and Jason Ritter star, with guest appearances from Jessie T. Usher, Colby Minifie and P.J. Byrne reprising their roles from “The Boys.”

"Christopher Robin” – Rated R ‘Winnie the Pooh’ TV Series Will Feature a Drug Portal and Weird Talking Animals

Just when you thought Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey was going to be the only for-adults-only adaptation of the classic children’s story this year, Variety reports today on an entirely different project in the works from Boat Rocker Studios and Bay Mills Studios.

Titled “Christopher Robin,” this particular adaptation of the public domain story is said to be a hybrid of live action and animation, and it very much aims to be rated “R”.

In the series, “Christopher Robin is a disillusioned New Yorker navigating his quarter-life crisis with the help of the weird talking animals who live beyond a drug-induced portal outside his derelict apartment complex, the Hundred Acres.”

Conrad Vernon (Sausage Party) is directing the pilot and executive producing.

Charlie Kesslering (Foreign Relations, Most Likely To) wrote the script for “Christopher Robin” and will also executive produce. Nick Nantell executive produces for Boat Rocker along with Shamier Anderson and Stephan James for Bay Mills. Holly Hubsher is overseeing the project for Bay Mills. Bay Mills is currently under a first-look deal at Boat Rocker.

“There are few characters more iconic and known the world over for their adventures together than Christopher Robin and Winnie-the-Pooh,” said Nantell. “We’re grateful to be working with the Bay Mills team, Charlie Kesslering, and Conrad Vernon on a project that takes these characters to new, unexpected, and really funny places.”

“This project takes everything you think you know about Christopher Robin and Winnie-the-Pooh and creates something completely fresh and undeniably funny,” added Anderson and James. “We’re excited to partner with Boat Rocker, Charlie, and Conrad on this journey to a truly creative space where anything is possible for these characters.”