2. 2. Which series is the worst?

• CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
    • CSI: Miami
    • CSI: New York

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm gonna base my decision on the state of the shows at the moment. It would be unfair to judge the fact that I like the main series due to nostalgia when the current might not be as good. I guess I'm in the minority but my fave is CSI:NY and here's why:

1. CSI: NY

Pros:

The location. There is so much to do in New York which provides for more interesting ways to kill people (which sounds more sadistic than it should)

The finale. The finale abandoned the formula which I enjoyed. It was more action oriented with the various hostage situations. I liked how they incorporated the evidence retrieval within the hostage situation by sending the dead body down in the elevator to Hawkins. It was a nice touch.

The writing. After they retooled the show after the first season was seen as too dark, the tone of the show changed completely and Hawkins's character had his chance to shine in the field a la Greg from CSI:Vegas. There was the whole scenario with the murderer making t-shirts with clues to his murders, the group who were killed in their fantasy situations, the whole suicide girls thing, the person killed during the marathon, and the recent 'did Mac kill the serial killer?' arc. I think this show is starting to hit it's stride.

Cons:

Character development. This show has been on for three years and I still feel like I don't know who Mac or Stella are. I'm not much for the 'does Stella have AIDS?' angle. And Mac's relationship with the coroner seems forced. They have their moments but Danny with his mafia-ish connections has received the most development in my eyes.

2. CSI

Pros:

Miniature killer arc. I like the encompassing murder mystery arc because it reminds me of Veronica Mars. There is development involved and the shows are not all done in one like most of the time.

The cast. Everyone knows which character they are playing. They can phone every episode in for all I care.

The writers. It seems like this show has the more challenging stories. Like the dead bodies in the morgue talking to each other in that one episode. There was also that weird aliens episode...weird.

Cons:

I'm all for character development but Greg's character keeps getting the shaft. After killing the black kid to save the victim's life to the ensuing legal battle. This arc just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Miniature killer arc. The finale was incredibly convoluted considering that there were four or so miniature cases that were something like six months apart and thus information which is obvious to the CSI's is more confusing b/c of my bad memory. Also the finale just felt lackluster to me. It seemed drawn out but the ending was very good.

CSI: Miami

Pros:

It's a CSI show. There's a formula. I like it therefore I like the show.

Rex Linn. I think that's the name of the lead detective. I just like the guy. He's not a fashion model or anything like most of the other actors on the show. He's the most believable character to me.

Cons:

David Caruso. I think you love or hate this show based on Caruso. I'm sort of tired of his demeanor, the whole slow talking with moments of the sunglasses going off and/or on his head. While all of the main CSI's on the three programs have a messiah complex, his is a little too much for me. He seems to find some kid or woman and make them a promise and he always succeeds. I guess that doesn't really explain what my problem is with him, but after five seasons his character seems dull to me.

That damn Hummer. I don't know, it could just be me but I always see that damn Hummer driving by a beach and I can't help but think how ridiculous it is for them to be driving it. Just a little thing, nothing major to me.

The writers. I can't pinpoint anything but it feels like the show is running on auto pilot to me. The acting from the guest stars also seems the worst to me. Maybe it's the writing or the budget. I'll blame the writers.