Bellazon

Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Thumbnail

persuazn

vogue117gl.jpg

Jonathan Rhys Meyers was born July 27, 1977 in Dublin, Ireland. He was born with a heart condition and was baptized rather quickly for fear he would not live long. He spent several months in the hospital but he made it past that first hurdle and has fast become one of the most promising and fascinating actors of his generation.

Jonathan's family moved to Cork about a year after he was born and when Jonny, as he is called by friends and family, was about 3 years old, his father left his mother, Geraldine, to care for Jonny and his 3 younger brothers, Jamie, Alan, and Paul. Jonny had a tumultuous childhood and was kicked out of school at age 16. He soon found himself spending time in pool halls where he was discovered by Hubbard Casting. He was asked to audition outside the hall. They were talent-spotting for the David Puttnam production of The War of the Buttons. Jonny went through three days of auditions and it came down to Gregg Fitzgerald and Jonny for the lead. Gregg got the part and Jonny was crushed and gave up on his brief acting 'career'. But he soon got a call for an audition for a Knorr soup commercial and he nabbed it. He was embarrassed by the ad but soon enough he landed his film debut, a very small role in A Man of No Importance. His career was just beginning.

a career is launched...

Soon after A Man of No Importance, Jonathan landed one of the leads in The Disappearance of Finbar Flynn, which filmed in Lappland. A thaw occurred in the middle of filming and the shoot had to be postponed for six months. Jonny went home to Cork and soon got a call about Michael Collins. He was picked by director Neil Jordan to play the young assassin. Jonathan then filmed the Spanish film The Killer Tongue, where he played an 18 year old American boy toy of the lead female character. Jonny hated the experience and was miserable. He was only 18 and very lonely for the 8 week shoot in Madrid. Halfway through filming, he was called back to Lappland to finish the filming of Finbar. After completing both films, he went to Morocco to film just 2 scenes as the young Samson in Samson and Deliah. It was like a 2 week holiday for him and it gave Jonny his first taste of Morocco. Next came The Tribe, filmed in London, and then straight to California for The Maker, where he only had a week and a half to get ready for an American accent for the part. He succeeded quite well. Jonathan next filmed a role as the wealthy nemesis of the lead, played by Brad Renfro, in Telling Lies in America. No rest after that! Jonny went back to London to film B. Monkey. He spent almost two years away from home, filming back to back movies as his star continued to rise.

Jonathan next filmed The Governess starring Minnie Driver. Then came his breakthrough role as Brian Slade in the ground breaking and risky Velvet Goldmine, directed by Todd Haynes and co-starring Ewan McGregor, Christian Bale, and Toni Collette. It won a special artistic achievement award at the Cannes Film Festival where it premiered. At only 19 years of age, Jonathan immersed himself in the role of Brian Slade without holding back. No one else could have come close to capturing the spirit of the larger than life part.

Jonathan has gone on to film Ride with the Devil, The Loss of Sexual Innocence, Titus, Tangled, The Magnificent Ambersons, and Gormenghast, a BBC fantasy miniseries that brought a lot of acclaim. He starred as a women's soccer coach in the international box office hit Bend It Like Beckham, once again proving he can take on any kind of role. Jonathan has upcoming parts in Prozac Nation starring Christina Ricci, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead starring Clive Owen and directed by the legendary Mike Hodges, and Alexander directed by Oliver Stone. Having worked with actors the likes of Ewan McGregor, Anthony Hopkins, Christopher Lee, James Cromwell, Tobey Maguire, and Jessica Lange, Jonathan is well on his way to making a unique mark in the world of movie-making.

personal tidbits...

Early on in his acting career, Jonathan said many times that he didn't love acting but was doing it because it kept him from off the streets and out of jail. However, he has grown quite passionate about acting and hopes he is accomplishing something with his diverse roles. Jonathan also enjoys listening to all kinds of music like Bob Marley. He still resides in Cork, spending time with friends and family when he is not off filming. He also owns an apartment in Morocco, a place Jonathan loves to get away to. Jonny is also a talented musician and singer of traditional Irish music and if you've seen Velvet Goldmine, you can hear a sampling of his skills on tracks 15 and 18 of the official soundtrack.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Um, honey... if you call that ugly I'd hate to know to what standards you hold beauty. Seriously.

I think he's a dish too... but his girlfriend is gorgeous. Lucky thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, I know-I think she's really cute. :blink: Actually, the only thing I've seen him in that I thought he was attractive was the Elvis thing

• 1 month later...