Bellazon

General VINTAGE discussion

RocketQueen

Hello, friends! :hug:

I've been wanting to create such a topic for a very long time. A place for all of us where we can share info and ask questions about all things vintage.

I'm gonna start with wishing you health and prosperity in these hard times. Let us all dive into our vintage passion in order to distract ourselves. 

I just got an e-mail from VOGUE IT, saying that their archive is free for the next 3 months! :heart:

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I know it is... I hadn't checked it out for a while and was hoping that it was back online but... I can't access it through archive.org. They used a flash player, I guess that's why. 

I wonder why they opened the VOGUE Italia archive! I hope they do the same with the French issues, it would be lovely!

• 1 month later...

@Rocket Queen I only found those books from IMG and Elite because someone was trying to sell them. It didn't have any unknown models. Marlowe Archive is useful but Classic Models boards are better. If you have noticed, I make a lot of threads of older models. Its because they are not supermodels but worked prolifically in their 20s. I also try to add as many inactive models from the 2000s that I can remember when I find their work. You may notice that I use a lot of tags. Before my break, I started to tag everything as a way to help us identify old runway shows. I used to record every model in agency every 6 months in a thread to help us down the road. I created model lists for magazines, catalogs, and brands to record every model that worked for them so people could find out who a model was on their own. Problem was everyone who was interested in model over 25 seemed to disappear and I couldn't keep up with it.  My resource links are still there but people are not labeling when posting or creating bios.

I have bolded the ones that will be helpful to you

My tags:

Types of modeling

Classic Model: Any model over 30 signed to any agency that continue to works today

Lifestyle Model: Any model doing editorial work that is not high fashion ie Fitness, Health, Kniting, Etc.

Runway Model:  Any model that has done runway work (check decades active tags)

Catalog Model- Any model that does catalog work

Commercial Print model- A model who is a non-fashion model

Commercial Model- does commercials for non-high fashion clients

Editorial Model- any high fashion model who did magazine work and runway

Hair Models- 

Swimwear Model- 

Lingerie Model

Glamour Model- Playboy/Page 3 types

Instagram Models

Promotional Models- ie Convention Models/Beer Girls/Etc

Vintage Models- Retired Models who stopped working before 2000.

Retired Models- Any model who is no longer in the industry.

Decades active tags

1970s- Means active anytime from 1970-1979

1980s- Means Active anytime from 1980-1989

1990s 

2000s

2010s

Physical Features (there are more but here are a few) 

Short Hair

Green Eyes

Short Models (Petite under 5'7")

If you guys can get in the habit of labeling work like fashionspot standards and tagging models like this there are plenty of people who are scanner/scavengers who will update threads. My tip is to never post all the images at once like you guys do. The more often you post in a topic the more other people see them and help find images. The key is to engage more people to help you identify models. There is a system already in place ie tags to find models. The key is to utilize all the tools you have.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, guys! I want to start a new conversation about vintage mag collections. Could you share how many issues you have? And possibly where you get them from?

So far I've collected about 300-350 issues of mostly mid/late 90s ELLE DE and IT, as well as a lot of Amica issues. I do have some VOGUE ones too. The rest are either Burda or miscellaneous issues like a few Marie Claire ones, I've got a couple of the very beautiful French L'Officiel, Harper's Bazaar and some Gioias as well as Anna.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there's a way of doing that. But I do know that there are some libraries in the US who have gained access and you can browse through the archive if you're a member.

Years ago I registered for the online archive (without knowing it was that expensive!) and I got a call from a member of their staff who asked me if I really wanted to join given that I had to pay so much. Of course I said no and so I've not even tried to access the online archive again.

I'm actually a lot more interested in browsing through the archive of the French, German or Spanish issues as they are more rare.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 11:03 AM, RocketQueen said:

By the way... @modelknowledge, could you post some pics of Elite's books? I think you posted them some time ago but I don't know where. I'd like to see some lesser known models they represented.

I put them all in one spot so you can have easy access. 

On 8/6/2020 at 4:29 PM, RocketQueen said:

Hey, guys! I want to start a new conversation about vintage mag collections. Could you share how many issues you have? And possibly where you get them from?

So far I've collected about 300-350 issues of mostly mid/late 90s ELLE DE and IT, as well as a lot of Amica issues. I do have some VOGUE ones too. The rest are either Burda or miscellaneous issues like a few Marie Claire ones, I've got a couple of the very beautiful French L'Officiel, Harper's Bazaar and some Gioias as well as Anna.

I only started collecting last year so its still small around 80 issues i only collect asian magazines since they are so hard to find online or even to buy. A lot of 90s/00s vogue korea, early issues of vogue nippon, w korea, bazaar japan. Its been hard to buy since covid but recently found rare issues of l’officiel korea when it was a women’s magazine 2001/2002 (so many great edits) and elle japon from 2000-2003 and can’t wait till they arrive.  

2 hours ago, fahad.s said:

I only started collecting last year so its still small around 80 issues i only collect asian magazines since they are so hard to find online or even to buy. A lot of 90s/00s vogue korea, early issues of vogue nippon, w korea, bazaar japan. Its been hard to buy since covid but recently found rare issues of l’officiel korea when it was a women’s magazine 2001/2002 (so many great edits) and elle japon from 2000-2003 and can’t wait till they arrive.  

Most editorial models are sent to those markets for practice but not every model makes it there. Australia New Zealand models are often sent there because of the proximity but those markets are a you girls game. The models in those magazines would be in their mid to late 30s now. Some may still be working. 

Started 1970s Model Database because there Marlowe Press is heavily focused on 80s. Lots of these 70s models are now modeling again. this whole baby boomer market has them coming out of the woodwork. 

I can’t remember who likes the 70s so please let the appropriate members know. I will do 50s and 60s too but I want to get this rolling first 

• 1 month later...

Hey, guys! :wave:

I was going through some covers and found some more pics of Linda Doig aka Leigh Richards. Does anybody know what happened to her? There's a page on Facebook in memory of Linda that hasn't been updated for several years. So I guess she's been deceased for some years now. There are a couple of websites which obviously have info about what happened to her, but I can't seem to access them. It's strange because all I can read is just a small part of their titles and they say something about mysterious death in a motel... Quite bizarre there's nothing about this on the Internet. 

1488152_515011478613689_1752671242_n.thumb.jpg.3d6ebee389408d391b5337ed54ddc5ef.jpg