Bellazon

The Mandalorian

Enrico_sw

2 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

The last 2 chapters were average at best.

Chapter 4 was really the bad apple, because of the Disney vibe in it. Chapter 5 has a couple of inconsistencies (like why does he team up with a Guild guy, while he's chased by the Guild :DanniCullen:  Or why he lets casually Toro see baby yoda?), but it's still pretty good.

The score is much better in Chapter 5. Globally, the OST is good (because there is a spirit, and above all, a leitmotiv), but the grandiloquent parts are bland (particularly the one they play during the gatling blaster scene in Ch. 1)

5 hours ago, Matt! said:

Gonna watch chapter 6 now!

EDIT: Arguably the best episode so far, watch it you guys! @Stromboli1 @Enrico_sw

Yeah, really good chapter. I like Bill Burr a lot and he was pretty good. I liked the Twi'lek girl (the actress also played in GoT). The OST gets better, and I definitely like Mando's leitmotiv. The chapter's rhythm was well thought, it's longer (which is good) and I liked the atmosphere.

So, all in all, it's really good (one of the best so far). The only problem is that the plot is still pretty simple. Too simple. It wouldn't be a problem if we were at Ch. 3 or 4, but we're at ch. 6....! The plot needs to be thickened now (I hope that's what they do in next chapter).

In any case, the episode (and the show) really feel like Star Wars, which is refreshing given how bad Disney's movies were.

2 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Chapter 7 is the best episode so far. The storyline is finally getting more complex with disruptions/high points and it's finally raising the stakes.

I cared more about Quill than any character in the Disney Trilogy.

5 hours ago, Matt! said:

Episode 8 was awesome :chicken:Have you watched it already @Enrico_sw ?

I just did and it's true: it's a great episode!  Probably the best episode. The characters are all good, they took time to develop them and it works. They have flaws, they have backstories and motives, everything we need to like them and care for them. The story is straightforward, but it's good.

They should only make 45 minute episodes (I dunno why they chose a 30 minute format for the first ones). :bounce:

The soundtrack is good, real good (especially the mandalorian's leitmotiv), but I still think there could bring a couple of improvements in the way they use it at some points (it's too grandiloquent at times).

• 4 months later...

My expectations were relatively low for this and honestly, I still found the first two chapters dull as a brush. The writers seem to be working under an assumption that a character who rarely speaks and whose face we can't see is an inherently interesting thing, and it really isn't.

There's still time for it to pick up though and with a bit of luck, it will. Here's hoping for the next six episodes to be crammed with story, supporting characters and consequence.

Mercifully, chapter three was a massive step up from the previous two. They should have started with it as the second part of the first chapter, and skipped the pointless second one altogether.

I think the success of the show, and admittedly this is just based on what little I've seen so far, is ultimately going to depend on who they pair Mando up with. On his own he's inscrutable and not that interesting.

Curious to see it move away from the narrative established in the first three chapters and towards wheel-spinning standalone episodes. Chapter six was at least entertaining wheel-spinning though, and did a decent job of introducing a lot of different characters quickly and efficiently. Four and five were pure padding and feel like a blur already.

Ultimately, the show is small in scale with modest ambitions. Not to say it's bad really, it just doesn't aim very high.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking back to S1 as a whole now, I'm really surprised at just how inconsequential a lot of it felt. The potential was certainly there for it to deliver a deeper dramatic experience than the bigger Wars stories, but what little plot there was seemed like a secondary consideration.

I'll probably still try to catch S2 when it arrives, though. Hope springs eternal and all that.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:11 PM, Michael* said:

Thinking back to S1 as a whole now, I'm really surprised at just how inconsequential a lot of it felt. The potential was certainly there for it to deliver a deeper dramatic experience than the bigger Wars stories, but what little plot there was seemed like a secondary consideration.

Yes, I see what you mean and I agree for the most part. I think they were a bit cautious, shy even, when they decided to make this show, unsure of how it would be received by the audience.

They took the interesting approach where every episode has its own story (with specific new characters), and, where there's also a common thread. The main problem is, as you said, that the common thread is a bit weak (too simple).

I'm sure (or, at least, I hope) that season 2 will have a more complex plot. Many people told Favreau about it and he usually listens to feedback.

On 5/29/2020 at 9:26 PM, Michael* said:

Ultimately, the show is small in scale with modest ambitions. Not to say it's bad really, it just doesn't aim very high.

Yup, "modest amibitions". I think that it accurately describes their spirit for Season 1. I'm sure they'll be more ambitious for Season 2, because this is the way!

614de537ea516c274f9c95e722fbf9d5.gif

On 6/16/2020 at 9:03 PM, Enrico_sw said:

Yes, I see what you mean and I agree for the most part. I think they were a bit cautious, shy even, when they decided to make this show, unsure of how it would be received by the audience.

They took the interesting approach where every episode has its own story (with specific new characters), and, where there's also a common thread. The main problem is, as you said, that the common thread is a bit weak (too simple).

I'm sure (or, at least, I hope) that season 2 will have a more complex plot. Many people told Favreau about it and he usually listens to feedback.

I'd like to think so too. Chapter eight was probably the best example so far of how good the show could be, so here's hoping S2 continues on that path.

On balance, I would say the pacing of S1 was rather slack given the short episode order, while some of the writing was simplistic to a fault, a little bland even. That being said, it does a decent job of setting the scene and with tighter plotting, I see no reason why it couldn't still evolve into more character-driven stuff. For what it's worth, I'm rooting for them to get it right.

• 1 month later...