Bellazon

The Mandalorian

Enrico_sw

https://www.bellazon.com/main/uploads/monthly_2019_12/1167295992_Mandalorian001.JPG.9a311ed444f2312759a0d8db8109db07.JPG

The Mandalorian (aka a Star Wars: The Mandalorian) is an American space Western web television series that premiered on November 12, 2019. Set in the Star Wars universe, the series takes place five years after the events of Return of the Jedi and follows a Mandalorian bounty hunter beyond the reaches of the New Republic.

Jon Favreau serves as creator, head writer, and showrunner, as well as executive producer. The show stars Pedro Pascal in the title role.

First four episodes. The show is pretty neat so far. There's definitely the space western vibe, and it feels pretty good. The plot is straightforward and a bit simple/linear, but it works, it's like something is slowly being built.

The soundtrack has some great moments, they understand the importance of a leitmotiv (which is good - few directors understand the point of having one or several clear leitmotivs, that's why we have so many bland scores in Hollywood movies), but they lack something when they become too grandiloquent (grandiloquent rarely works...)

The characters are all really good and well built. They all have something to bring to the show, and the acting is overall good. They make good use of the droids (like in all REAL star wars, which means movies from ep. 1 to 6... and that's it)

The episode 4 is the weakest.... Disney couldn't resist, they had to slip some Disney's vibe in it, which is a bit annoying, but at least they aren't force-feeding crappy PC characters like in the Last Jedi... so, the Mandalorian still stay decent despite Disney's (and Kennedy's) woke compulsion.

20 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

The soundtrack has some great moments, they understand the importance of a leitmotiv (which is good - few directors understand the point of having one or several clear leitmotivs, that's why we have so many bland scores in Hollywood movies), but they lack something when they become too grandiloquent (grandiloquent rarely works...)

From 0 to 0:46, the leitmotiv is great, then the ornaments they add to it up until 1:50 are also really good.

Then.... 2:10 f** things up a little bit... the grandiloquent brasses are annoying :laugh:

14 minutes ago, Matt! said:

Have you seen any episodes? So far it's been reaaaally good! Chapter 5 is out on friday!

(Edit: :nicole:)

Have you seen episode 4? :rofl:

The fighters who help villagers to fight back bandits... that's one of the most used tropes in the cinema industry... and if you're honest, they didn't do it good. They Disney-ed it up too much... :rofl: You can't say this episode was perfect.

Other shows/movies did it much better, like "They Call Me Trinity" (because there's a high dose of humour) or "Stargate" (because there was more tension). Even in Japanese movies (like Seven Samurai), there's this trope, but it takes time to build this, because the threat needs to feel real. 

3 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Have you seen episode 4? :rofl:

The fighters who help villagers to fight back bandits... that's one of the most used tropes in the cinema industry... and if you're honest, they didn't do it good. They Disney-ed it up too much... :rofl: You can't say this episode was perfect.

Other shows/movies did it much better, like "They Call Me Trinity" (because there's a high dose of humour) or "Stargate" (because there was more tension). Even in Japanese movies (like Seven Samurai), there's this trope, but it takes time to build this, because the threat needs to feel real. 

I have! It wasn't that bad :nicole: as a "fill-up" episode it was pretty good IMO :smile:. The whole meaning of the episode was just to introduce Gina and get her involved. Although the pace (how they just quickly trained all the villagers, killed the bad guys etc) was too fast.. should've been at least 50 minute episode with more details/story..

Nevertheless I found it quite entertaining and Gina was a badass, can't wait to see more of her..:rolleyes:

16 hours ago, victoriassecret_aut said:

Funnily i liked it the most

Interesting. What did you like the most in this episode?   Graphically, it's good (and I liked the AT-ST), but I think the build-up was weak and didn't fit in a 30 minute episode. Also, I kinda feel that Disney's spirit was too present in it.

Generally speaking, the show is pretty good, it both respects the legacy and brings up new stuff (planets, creatures, droids, etc.)

On 12/2/2019 at 11:07 PM, Enrico_sw said:

They make good use of the droids (like in all REAL star wars, which means movies from ep. 1 to 6... and that's it)

I liked the bounty droid in Chapter 1, its plot was well made. Also, they used humor (the droid wanting to self-destruct all the time) in a tense situation, and it was brilliant because it didn't kill the tension, quite the opposite (unlike in Rian's movie, where humor was kind of ridicule... :rolleyes:)

The droid's score was good too.

36 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

I don't understand why they made the episodes so short. Maybe, it's because Disney got shy after the mess the made with the Last Jedi.... (and the mess they're going to make with the Fall of Skywalker)

They're getting shorter and shorter..Chapter 8 = 11 minutes..