Bellazon

Watchmen on HBO

SympathysSilhouette

Is anyone watching this?

I have to say that my expectations going in were limited because I'm not Damon Lindelof's biggest fan.

Surprisingly this has been a very good TV show, continuing to build upon the universe originally created by Alan Moore and somehow expanding and even improving upon it. The sixth episode was especially great, perhaps the best hour of TV I have seen all year long.

This being Lindelof, I suppose we'll have to wait and see if it sticks the landing, but I must say I've found myself seriously impressed with what I've seen so far.

Between this, Fargo and Legion, Jean Smart has become a must-watch for me onscreen. It's been a terrific run for her, especially considering older actresses finding good work later in their careers seems to be a continuing problem in the industry.

I keep waiting for Jemaine Clement and Aubrey Plaza to show up, then again that's just my default position on life in general.

I liked the significant time jump from the original comic and the movie. If it was closer to the original, I'm not sure I could have stayed with it.

Of course, that personal hypothetical is based on absolutely nothing.  :smile:

6 hours ago, Michael* said:

I keep waiting for Jemaine Clement and Aubrey Plaza to show up, then again that's just my default position on life in general.

I'm always glad when they show up, too.  :smile:

I should probably add that I've only just made it to the fifth episode. Lots of potential directions the show could go, although it's a bit early to make any predictions as to how it will. I keep trying to guess who the big villain will be too, but at this point I'm not even sure that's the right question to ask.

The show continues to captivate, although I've some slight reservations about the sheer amount of stuff still needing to be concluded in the remaining two episodes. I sincerely hope Lindelof keeps his promise and this really is a self-contained story, but there's just so much left to wrap up.

I'm honestly in awe though at how much has been casually set up and paid off in a short space of time. The scenes with Irons alone have justified the series, and he's probably not even the best actor in the show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 7:59 PM, jkjk said:

Apparently, there is an opinion out there that the finale was so perfect people don't want the show to return.

Looks like these people will get their wish as Damon doesn't want to continue with the show and HBO doesn't want to continue without him.

• 5 months later...
On 12/20/2019 at 12:59 AM, jkjk said:

Apparently, there is an opinion out there that the finale was so perfect people don't want the show to return.

I wouldn't say perfect, but I really liked the finale.

The finale felt a bit emotionally distant to me compared to some of the previous episodes, perhaps because so much time was spent with Veidt and Triue. My only other minor quibble was that, while he did save her, I would’ve liked Jon to have had a more meaningful moment with Laurie.

Overall though, the intrigue factor more than kept me going throughout, and I consider it a minor miracle that they got such a complex show to the finish line. Lindleof, King, Smart, Reznor, and Ross all outdid themselves.

6 minutes ago, Michael* said:

I consider it a minor miracle that they got such a complex show to the finish line. Lindleof, King, Smart, Reznor, and Ross all outdid themselves.

Completely agree. It would have been easy for the finale to become a rushed mess.

On 7/2/2020 at 9:23 PM, jkjk said:

Completely agree. It would have been easy for the finale to become a rushed mess.

For sure, and it's precisely for that reason that I think any potential second season really would require outstanding stories and scripts. However, I feel like Lindelof has already learned in probably the starkest way possible that if you don't know how to continue or finish a story, you shouldn't stick at it just because a network wants you to.

44 minutes ago, Michael* said:

For sure, and it's precisely for that reason that I think any potential second season really would require outstanding stories and scripts. However, I feel like Lindelof has already learned in probably the starkest way possible that if you don't know how to continue or finish a story, you shouldn't stick at it just because a network wants you to.

I imagine that decision is much easier once you are established. When you are trying to satisfy the network early in your career, you are more likely to make less than ideal creative decisions.

• 4 weeks later...