steve1977

Gemma Hayes

cultureshock1it4.jpg

gemma1cl3.th.jpg gemma4xe8.th.jpg gemma2ik3.th.jpg

gemmahayes2bw7.jpg gemmahayes152203x152or4.jpg

Gemma Hayes

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemma_Hayes

Gemma Hayes is a singer-songwriter born on August 11, 1977 in Ballyporeen, Tipperary, Ireland.

One of eight children, Hayes was surrounded by music from an early age whether it was coming from stereos in her siblings bedrooms or being played by her father, a keyboardist in a local band.

By the time she left for boarding school in County Limerick, Hayes was already proficient at piano and found that the music she'd used to counter the boredom of living in a small town now offered her escape from the strict regime of her new home.

Although she enrolled at University in Dublin, Hayes soon left to concentrate on music, working part-time in a laundrette during the day and playing the city's circuit at night.

She signed to Source Records in 2001 and issued the folksy 4.35am EP and the more band-orientated Work to a Calm EP before releasing her debut album, Night on my Side, in 2002. The album was nominated for that years Mercury Music Prize but lost out to Ms. Dynamite's A Little Deeper.

After touring Night on my Side Hayes took two years out from the music business; "All I do know is that I didn't want to listen to music at all. I stopped listening to the radio. It was like I'd overdosed on music" [1].

In late 2005 Hayes returned with her second album, The Roads Don't Love You, and picked up the Best Irish Female Artist award at the 2006 Meteor Ireland Music Awards shortly before completing a small tour of the United Kingdom and Ireland. She also co-wrote the song "Hazy" with Adam Duritz for the Counting Crows' live album, New Amsterdam [2] in the same year.

As of August 14, 2006 Gemma announced via her myspace profile that she had begun work on her 3rd Album in Black Box Studios in France.