Bellazon

Streets of Rage 4 (2019)

Cult Icon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streets_of_Rage_4

Streets of Rage 4 is an upcoming side-scrolling beat 'em up video game being developed by Lizardcube, Guard Crush Games, and Dotemu for Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. The game is a continuation of Sega's Streets of Rage series, which had a trilogy released during the early 1990s for the Sega Genesis. The game was announced in August 2018, with a release date yet to be announced.

I miss this type of retro game since they're so rare now.  Alien vs Predator was also a favorite.  I remember playing them or watching them as a boy at restaurants or stores and my parents NEVER giving me a quarter so I could play them.

• 7 months later...

My initial gut feeling was that it would probably end up being just that little bit too light and arcadey to justify a day one purchase. I must confess though, the inclusion of the original sprites and the classic soundtracks do make it more tempting.

On 4/24/2020 at 3:21 PM, Michael* said:

My initial gut feeling was that it would probably end up being just that little bit too light and arcadey to justify a day one purchase. I must confess though, the inclusion of the original sprites and the classic soundtracks do make it more tempting.

seems like a game that could've been remade 15-20 years ago.  

I look forward to viewing the artwork.  The use of original sprites in the flash-setting is a bit awkward for the eyes.

On 4/28/2020 at 7:47 PM, Cult Icon said:

seems like a game that could've been remade 15-20 years ago.  

I look forward to viewing the artwork.  The use of original sprites in the flash-setting is a bit awkward for the eyes.

Yeah, most probably. Straightforward beat-em-ups have evolved into better and more well rounded genres since this game's heyday, and by and large, I do think the sideways scrolling format feels like a time capsule from a different era. 

Not to say it looks bad, or that it won't be everything one could want from a Streets of Rage sequel, but I'm not sure how enjoyable it'll be for folks who aren't already a part of the built-in fanbase.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:04 AM, Michael* said:

Yeah, most probably. Straightforward beat-em-ups have evolved into better and more well rounded genres since this game's heyday, and by and large, I do think the sideways scrolling format feels like a time capsule from a different era. 

Not to say it looks bad, or that it won't be everything one could want from a Streets of Rage sequel, but I'm not sure how enjoyable it'll be for folks who aren't already a part of the built-in fanbase.

I miss this type of game, as to me it's more anime-like than 3-D. It's the aesthetic, and the memories of playing arcade machines.  I viewed quite a bit now and the new game reminds me of the other remakes- they get the concept right but there is a lot of cut content leading to a short game.    The bosses are also underwhelming but the art is on-point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 8:24 PM, Cult Icon said:

I miss this type of game, as to me it's more anime-like than 3-D. It's the aesthetic, and the memories of playing arcade machines.  I viewed quite a bit now and the new game reminds me of the other remakes- they get the concept right but there is a lot of cut content leading to a short game.    The bosses are also underwhelming but the art is on-point.

My curiosity got the better of me, which I expected it to eventually, and I picked it up this week. It's very evident that breathing new life into an old series was a passion project for the developers, they really knew what they were doing and what made the original games so good, and it's been modernised in all the right ways.

The arsenal of moves is still fairly basic, and I suppose you'd have to say that was probably one of the reasons for the genre becoming defunct, but it does add a little more complexity and mixes up the rhythm of the fights. There's a bit more scope for showboating too, which keeps your interest going.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:21 PM, Michael* said:

My curiosity got the better of me, which I expected it to eventually, and I picked it up this week. It's very evident that breathing new life into an old series was a passion project for the developers, they really knew what they were doing and what made the original games so good, and it's been modernised in all the right ways.

The arsenal of moves is still fairly basic, and I suppose you'd have to say that was probably one of the reasons for the genre becoming defunct, but it does add a little more complexity and mixes up the rhythm of the fights. There's a bit more scope for showboating too, which keeps your interest going.

on my favs from that era was Alien vs Predator 2.  

I think if they make a sequel, it can be hugely better due to the success of this game.

The game seems a bit imbalanced doesn't it?  I watched a lot of different characters and some seem a lot stronger than others.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:49 PM, Cult Icon said:

The game seems a bit imbalanced doesn't it?  I watched a lot of different characters and some seem a lot stronger than others.

That's true, although playing as different characters modifies the experience quite a bit, which I do like. It allows you to really lean into their respective strengths and it's pretty effective in upping the game's replay value.

The weak point is undoubtedly the story, but I suppose it could be argued, same as with the original games, that they were only ever meant to bear a passing resemblance to low-rent action movies.

• 11 months later...

Looks like Max will be the second extra character along with Estel, the special forces officer from the main story. A third, as yet unconfirmed character (almost certainly Shiva) should be arriving soon as well.