Bellazon

Cyberpunk 2077 (2020)

Cult Icon

On 5/5/2021 at 12:16 AM, Cult Icon said:

CD just can't catch a break.  Besides negative features in business news- including a half hour feature- the director of witcher 3 resigned

It was pretty astounding to read that he worked his way up from junior tester to game director. That being said, it seems to be a fairly common problem with companies, where they promote people from junior positions to managerial roles but don't give them any training in how to properly manage people.

On 5/6/2021 at 6:44 AM, Michael* said:

It was pretty astounding to read that he worked his way up from junior tester to game director. That being said, it seems to be a fairly common problem with companies, where they promote people from junior positions to managerial roles but don't give them any training in how to properly manage people.

All of this makes me wonder if the Witcher 3's exceptional quality came from the company's long-term focus on essentially on franchise (Witcher 1 came out in 2007) which culminated in the W3. An impression I got from the game was the huge amount of quality writing- seems like something they'd had in storage for a decade.  And besides this, other development ideas/work predated the commitment to the W3 project. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_(video_game)

When I reviewed the whole game, including the side stories/concept book it shows that they were very ambitious and wanted to repeat the W3's storytelling quality and success, but overall didn't hit this benchmark.  Hence the huge amount of unused/canceled concepts and ideas, which snowballed into false marketing claims.

@Michael*@Cult IconCyberpunk 2077 isn't really THAT bad game, i have played myself bought it on Steam when it was close to release data still in final month of 2020, i played it and it was really very great, awesome story, great expensive cars and a lots of more, sure there were some bugs and problematic performance such as bad optimization but with time it got new patchs and it helped me to play game better and with performance improved, only bug that pissed me off was one from takemoura callphone on which it stuck you and you had to return to a older savegame, lucky sometimes i save game all time and had no risk to that, this bug happen after patch i guess it was 1.0 or 1.1, Now the game has patch 1.2 and some hotfixs, i believe game for now its much better and stable, but still you all will need a great PC to run the game at last, after ending the game i installed some mods and fun with it, one of they was car spawn and too NPC spawn, there was a script that you can ally with any NPC on which it was so very cool and fun for me, 

i said the positve things about it now about negative things of it i talked a bit, but on my opinion if you guys are thinking, honestly on my opinion the game is not finished still but i dont blame CD Project, just more or less because they was winding up the game taking so long and lied several times to the public saying that game will be released that day or month and was never confirmed and always delay the game release data, this was that make the public every angry at they forcing to release in that right data or their actions go be below and vice-versa, i was aware of all news from that and read about it, they had no choice than release the game already fast, i was even hyped and waiting so much to that great game since years ago

For now i hope they ''CD Project'' will fix the game and improve it, at moment i am waiting the DLCs to come such Night City Expansion, problaby it will take a lots of time or years to improve game 100% perfect but i bet they will it, they or the modders of community will do something to it, what im really wanting for the game it's the possibility of piloting aircraft/flying cars, because that should have been there before but unfortunately it wasn't, I hope that in the future it will be possible to have this possibility of piloting flying cars /aircraft, because I am very interested in that

Again saying hope they will improve it and make game perfect, games are like that sometimes its complicated but only takes a long time to make it 100% perfect for sure.

I think really, it's just the latest in what now looks to be a long line of heavily marketed hype trains that turned out to be colossal disappointments, but at the end of the day seemed to barely impact the developer's bottom line. Every year there's a new Aliens: Colonial Marines, Assassin's Creed: Unity, No Man's Sky, Civilization 6. Sometimes these things get patched given time, sometimes they don't.

Cyberpunk almost certainly won't be the last of its kind, but hopefully it'll be the last of its kind produced by CDPR. EA, Activision and the like are probably big enough not to care.

I gave my take on it a while ago (I scanned the whole game and all the side quests).  It's very innovative but sadly has so many bugs and incomplete areas.  I haven't kept up with it recently so I don't know the state of the game right now.

There are some mods that can fix some bugs and improve the gameplay if you search it on google, Nexus Community is the only trusted website to download those mods who are really safe though

15 hours ago, Pyromancer said:

There are some mods that can fix some bugs and improve the gameplay if you search it on google, Nexus Community is the only trusted website to download those mods who are really safe though

I do wonder how long it will take CD to patch the game to the level that they wanted. 

I have heard that Witcher 3 took a long time- something like 6 months- 1 yr to erase the bugs.   However this game is less complete than Witcher 3. It seems like it could be a very , very long time.  By then people would have moved on from the game.  What do you think?

@Cult IconYeah well i guess what will save the game cyberpunk 2077 are the DLCs and any type of expanison map or parks whatever, for me some patchs and hotfixies are fixing the game and making it better, sure not so 100% but for me its more playble and stable than before and very few bugs by way of experience that i had and vice-versa, i hope CD Project will fix it and make game better

Ah yes about the witcher 3 it can be true but to you know i never played since im not into RPG, only if has RPG elements in FPS then yes, but yes my genre is mostly FPS, TPS (Third Person such GTA etc) and RTS (real time strategy) such as age of empires ii and starcraft etc, if you haven't played then i recommend they are great as well.

It's nice to hear that the game is bug free for the most part.  When I scanned the game I estimated that ~75% of the game was finished while the other 25% of the map showed signs of unfinished content.  Presumably the remainder will be filled in with DLC and patches.

I played GTA/GTA vice city back in the day, and of course Age of Empires/Starcraft were favorites, too.  My favorite online shooter was Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm. I like RTS, shooters, TPS as well.  Company of Heroes/COH2 was also something I played a lot.

IT does seem however that the RTS genre isn't what it used to be in terms of popularity.  Starcraft was a beast for so many years however I have heard that Starcraft 2 is no longer supported by Blizzard.

I expect it'll end up being a bit of both. With paid DLC apparently on the slate in the future, CDPR will want to fix the technical issues, but obviously the extent to which improvements can be made is still up in the air. In particular it seems like patching for last-gen consoles has remained a major problem, although the longer they take to do that, the less relevant those versions perhaps become.

Still though, even with five months presumably focused on making improvements and fixing bugs, they've yet to appease Sony enough to have it reinstated to PlayStation Store, not just for PS4 but also for PS5 where it apparently runs reasonably well at this point.

However, it's probably less likely that people hoping for a more fleshed-out open world, a better story or improved gameplay mechanics will get their wish, and I dare say the latter is the biggest issue with Cyberpunk. Even if it gets to a technically flawless state, it seems more likely that the game itself will be merely decent rather than groundbreaking.

• 1 month later...

I checked out Aliens: Colonial Marines recently and found out that this too had similar issues of false advertising, overly long development process, and a product with problems.  In this case, however, the  issue is much worse.  

The premise is really cool and there's a market for it due to the ALIENS movie and all those Aliens comics, media, etc. since.

A big issue with this game is how the development resources were siphoned off to develop Duke Nukem Forever and the Borderlands games.  Then the game was out-sourced and developed by a poor team.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...