Bellazon

Cyberpunk 2077 (2020)

Cult Icon

2 hours ago, VS19 said:

I think they should worry about fixing the base game before even thinking about DLC.  Any and all DLC released for this game should be free after the way they have deceived the public, but that should be a long way off, no sooner than mid-2021 because it'll take at least that long to cobble together this mess into a functioning game.

As perhaps the lone person who wasn't particularly impressed with Witcher 3, I really doubt I'll ever pay full price for a CD Projekt Red game again.  

Indeed, and it's a shame, because this situation could have been avoided so easily. They could have delayed a game that was clearly nowhere near ready to release. They could have showed actual gameplay footage so that people knew what they were buying. They could have sent out proper review copies and not placed an embargo until the day before release. There are no two ways about it, this thing has been nothing short of disastrous on base consoles.

Interesting article, I've noticed it too.  It is out of date now with China being the juggernaut and much greater than Japan ever was.  There used to be significant Japanese expat in the northeast and they left as the Japanese economy stagnated.  So did the Japanese stores and schools.  Far more Koreans and Chinese people now & I rarely encounter Japanese people at all.

https://unseenjapan.com/cyberpunk-2077-japan-orientalism/

How Cyberpunk 2077 Resurrects the 1980s’ “Japan Panic”

3 hours ago, Michael* said:

Indeed, and it's a shame, because this situation could have been avoided so easily. They could have delayed a game that was clearly nowhere near ready to release. They could have showed actual gameplay footage so that people knew what they were buying. They could have sent out proper review copies and not placed an embargo until the day before release. There are no two ways about it, this thing has been nothing short of disastrous on base consoles.

I know, there were so many things that they could have done.  Just being upfront about the fact that this is a next generation game and that, while it will run on PS4 and Xbox One, it wouldn't be quite the visual spectacle that the other versions are.  Doing that and putting more effort into ironing out the bugs would have gone a long way.  All games are going to release with some bugs, it's inevitable.  But, the game shouldn't crash constantly, you shouldn't have to go back to the start of the mission because you got stuck in some furniture, and walking up to certain things shouldn't send you jettisoning across the map for absolutely no reason.  

I think this game is around 70-80% completed.  I scanned up to video 210 on COH's walkthrough.  Witcher 3 came out 5 years ago, it's just odd that a big budget game like this is still at this stage.  I have no idea when or if these problems will be fixed and if Cyberpunk will ever become the game it could have been.

4 hours ago, Michael* said:

I guess Konami got somewhat lucky after Kojima was ousted that MGSV's development had already reached a point where the gameplay worked like a Swiss watch, as undoubtedly the way the story ended made next to no sense. To me though, Camp Omega from Ground Zeroes was more interesting than the huge open spaces in Phantom Pain, simply because every part of the map felt meaningful and worth exploring.

Usually I find that I can prioritise longer games, but even though they're often great fun, the amount of time it takes to play them can feel like a bit of a burden sometimes. RE3 probably pushed its luck too far the other way, the original retail price for what was on offer sounded like a very hard sell.

It's a blatant cash grab to make Ground Zeroes and PP different games.  I wonder if there were plans for a clear linkage to the events of Metal Gear, or even Metal Gear itself with the confrontation with Venom and Solid.   That would have been awesome.  The artbook doesn't reveal this and just showed that the next step was the jungle fight with boy liquid.  I wish that Venom and MGS5 was fully realized.  

The problem I can see with the modern open world games is that they're too sparsely populated with things to do and there are too many repetitive activities.  It looks like developers favor big, sparse maps rather than small, compact ones.   Shenmue 1/2's immersion was dense and up close.  Back then it was a commercial flop but innovative and the most expensive game ever made.   Since then few open world games used it as a model.

When a game is this full of bugs, I wonder if you can even call them "bugs" at this point.  Isn't it just broken?  

I find it all really conflicting because I do like the game.  And when the game is working, firing on all cylinders, it's fantastic.  And then you see stupid stuff like this and it pulls you completely out of the fun that you were having with it.

38 minutes ago, VS19 said:

Considering that they're apparently talking about DLC being on the way, them getting their **** together seems rather unlikely.  :D 

The DLC might be very minor (eg. cut content) and not something big like the Witcher DLCs.  It looks like they are addressing the bugs with the new patches but too slow for @Matt!

18 hours ago, VS19 said:

I know, there were so many things that they could have done.  Just being upfront about the fact that this is a next generation game and that, while it will run on PS4 and Xbox One, it wouldn't be quite the visual spectacle that the other versions are.  Doing that and putting more effort into ironing out the bugs would have gone a long way.  All games are going to release with some bugs, it's inevitable.  But, the game shouldn't crash constantly, you shouldn't have to go back to the start of the mission because you got stuck in some furniture, and walking up to certain things shouldn't send you jettisoning across the map for absolutely no reason.  

Oh, most definitely. I'm sure it would have upset the shareholders to have the game delayed again, but CDPR is a wealthy company that certainly isn't struggling to make payroll. They must have weighed up all their options and knowing exactly what they were doing, made a choice. It was a bad one and management fully deserves to have their feet held to the fire for it.

18 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

The problem I can see with the modern open world games is that they're too sparsely populated with things to do and there are too many repetitive activities.  It looks like developers favor big, sparse maps rather than small, compact ones.   Shenmue 1/2's immersion was dense and up close.  Back then it was a commercial flop but innovative and the most expensive game ever made.   Since then few open world games used it as a model.

For sure, most developers clearly have problems thinking of ways to fill open world games with meaningful things, and too many of them turn into collectathons with repeated side missions just to pad out the length. 

I'd much rather have a shorter, more focused, narrative-driven game than one overstuffed with meaningless tasks, similar as you say to something like Shenmue where you have a relatively small sandbox that still allows for interactive story threads.

4 hours ago, Matt! said:

Most likely yeah unless they really get their **** together. 

It'll be very hard. They can fix some of the bugs, but I don't think they'll ever get it to be a genuinely good experience on last-gen consoles when it's basically running at 20fps with maximum downscaling in sequences.

36 minutes ago, Matt! said:

I believe most gamers would be happy with bug free world with constant 30fps, which I feel is achievable on base consoles. As of right now, the game optimization is terrible on all platforms.

Absolutely.  That, and just being upfront about how much different the visual experience was going to be on the PS4 / XBox One versus PC and the new consoles would have helped as well.  I know going into it that there are obviously going to be differences, that's a given, but at times (especially in daylight) when the game doesn't look like a game coming at the end of the PS4 era, but rather one that might have come at the beginning in terms of its graphics and visual appearance.