Bellazon

Cyberpunk 2077 (2020)

Cult Icon

On 12/21/2020 at 7:24 PM, Michael* said:

Honestly, I fear this will all end up being pushed onto the developers somehow, when the blame rests entirely with CDPR'S management.

Hopefully though, it serves as a warning to other companies about what not to do when releasing a major title. The "release now, fix later" mentality really has become a blight on the industry, it needs to be addressed and that may only happen by making an example out of a high profile game.

It's a good lesson to developers to not get out of control with their ambitions. Development costs and time get in the way of needing profits and revenue.  Besides EA's Anthem, Bethesda's Fallout also had similar problems with an incomplete game. Also Metal Gear Solid 5.  It wasn't complete either and the artbook shows that it had cut content, including "punished chico" and a jungle battle against boy Liquid and his stolen Metal Gear.

A polar opposite to this was the recent RE remakes.  Re 3 in particular strikes me as a hack job, extremely short (4-6 hours long) and quite popular for such a small game.  It looks like they spent little money and time to develop this game, knowing that the brand name and nostalgia would guarantee them sales.

I looked at the Cyberpunk artbook released a while back and it really looks too much like false advertising in places.   Some of concept art isn't in the game, same thing for the early trailer stuff. Also the text alludes to features and potential stories that weren't in the game either.  The marketing department for CD Project Red got out of line, aided by the fact that the world of cyberpunk was already well written and established well before the game.

An aspect I enjoy about the main story is the theme of "Big city dreams", impermanence of this life, and the Buddhist "Samsara"- represented by the hell of Night City-  that really hits close to home to me.  Then, various paths open up from this.  Quite timeless themes, many of us have been V in my our early youths and I see "V" in many of the students I've trained.  Then the reality and the regret- usually of the lost time and what-ifs? - of Samsara hits home, sometimes sooner, sometimes later, sometimes never.

I think they should worry about fixing the base game before even thinking about DLC.  Any and all DLC released for this game should be free after the way they have deceived the public, but that should be a long way off, no sooner than mid-2021 because it'll take at least that long to cobble together this mess into a functioning game.

As perhaps the lone person who wasn't particularly impressed with Witcher 3, I really doubt I'll ever pay full price for a CD Projekt Red game again.  

Edited by VS19

On 12/23/2020 at 5:24 AM, Cult Icon said:

It's a good lesson to developers to not get out of control with their ambitions. Development costs and time get in the way of needing profits and revenue.  Besides EA's Anthem, Bethesda's Fallout also had similar problems with an incomplete game. Also Metal Gear Solid 5.  It wasn't complete either and the artbook shows that it had cut content, including "punished chico" and a jungle battle against boy Liquid and his stolen Metal Gear.

A polar opposite to this was the recent RE remakes.  Re 3 in particular strikes me as a hack job, extremely short (4-6 hours long) and quite popular for such a small game.  It looks like they spent little money and time to develop this game, knowing that the brand name and nostalgia would guarantee them sales.

I looked at the Cyberpunk artbook released a while back and it really looks too much like false advertising in places.   Some of concept art isn't in the game, same thing for the early trailer stuff. Also the text alludes to features and potential stories that weren't in the game either.  The marketing department for CD Project Red got out of line, aided by the fact that the world of cyberpunk was already well written and established well before the game.

I guess Konami got somewhat lucky after Kojima was ousted that MGSV's development had already reached a point where the gameplay worked like a Swiss watch, as undoubtedly the way the story ended made next to no sense. To me though, Camp Omega from Ground Zeroes was more interesting than the huge open spaces in Phantom Pain, simply because every part of the map felt meaningful and worth exploring.

Usually I find that I can prioritise longer games, but even though they're often great fun, the amount of time it takes to play them can feel like a bit of a burden sometimes. RE3 probably pushed its luck too far the other way, the original retail price for what was on offer sounded like a very hard sell.

Going forward though, I think one of the keys to keeping the open world genre alive will be to make sure that traversing them isn't too much of a bore. The recent Spider-Man games for example have a lot of "checklist" stuff, but the dynamism of the web-slinging keeps you going.