Bellazon

Marvel on Disney+

Michael*

So, Disney finally announced the details of its own streaming service last month and four new MCU shows have since been confirmed, with some of the more popular fringe characters who don't, and probably won't, have their own standalone movies to return in greatly expanded roles.

trv1chohhub4pblkijrc.jpg

WandaVision
The official (and quite appalling) title for the Scarlet Witch/Vision series. Joining the cast is Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau, who last appeared as a kid in the 90s-set bits of Captain Marvel. In the books, she's also the hero Spectrum.

p01u7pkvqzibfrdsqykb.jpg

Falcon and The Winter Soldier
Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie to return and team up, with Daniel Bruhl to reprise the role of Baron Zemo.

ubvoyeiaatxodhhljtdp.jpg

Loki
Tom Hiddleston back in the role, which feels like a pretty big get. I was under the impression that he was done as Loki.

rykkkld3nhnoyixaxfkq.jpg

What If?
An animated series with original cast members returning and Jeffrey Wright to voice The Watcher. Feige has described the first episode as "what if Peggy Carter had become a supersoldier and Steve Rogers had stayed a scrawny kid, but joined the fight in an armored suit made by Howard Stark."

If I remember correctly, Marvel Studios will be making these shows instead of Marvel Television which made the previous MCU shows. It will probably be more than a year before we get to see the first show, but I wonder how that impacts the end result.

I think there is a chance of a Hawkeye series as well, it may be a while before it's confirmed though.

On 6/9/2019 at 7:07 PM, jkjk said:

If I remember correctly, Marvel Studios will be making these shows instead of Marvel Television which made the previous MCU shows. It will probably be more than a year before we get to see the first show, but I wonder how that impacts the end result.

I think there is a chance of a Hawkeye series as well, it may be a while before it's confirmed though.

Yeah, for some reason my impression was that a Hawkeye series with Barton and Kate Bishop had already been greenlit. I definitely remember Jeremy Renner pushing for it some time ago, so it came as something of a surprise when they made no mention of it here.

Given my ultimate pick of course, I'd prefer a Pizza Dog series, perhaps with Renner in a brief cameo. :no2:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Three new shows in the works. Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Moon Knight, She-Hulk (Jennifer Walters).

I know there had been whispers of Kamala Khan and She-Hulk as movies, but seems like those were unfounded. I'm sure both will work as shows, too.

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2019 at 3:52 AM, jkjk said:

Three new shows in the works. Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Moon Knight, She-Hulk (Jennifer Walters).

I know there had been whispers of Kamala Khan and She-Hulk as movies, but seems like those were unfounded. I'm sure both will work as shows, too.

Quite intriguing to see She-Hulk on Marvel's to-do list there as I can't imagine that being a particularly easy sell. If promoting her to the movies at some point is in any way a priority, they're going to need top flight CGI that looks comparable to Banner's.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 1:44 PM, SympathysSilhouette said:

Also, I'd watch a She-Hulk show long before I'd watch a Hawkeye show.

The recent comic book run of She-Hulk is actually one of my favourites of the last few years, not only because she's so upbeat and positive, but the story takes a fairly economical approach to the superhero stuff. That being said, I feel like transitioning that into live action with the amount of CGI they'll be needing could prove a bit rocky.

Even if it turns out to be a disaster though, it was worth it for the shrieks of "Stan Lee would turn in his grave if he knew they were gender swapping the Hulk" that appeared online soon after the announcement was made. :rofl:

54 minutes ago, Michael* said:

Even if it turns out to be a disaster though, it was worth it for the shrieks of "Stan Lee would turn in his grave if he knew they were gender swapping the Hulk" that appeared online soon after the announcement was made. :rofl:

That was very funny for two reasons to me. 1) It's funny how people's first reaction to a female led show/movie is negative without anything on which to base that negativity  2) and, of course, the obvious lack of knowledge about the comic book history of She-Hulk.   :rofl:

On 11/23/2019 at 10:36 PM, jkjk said:

That was very funny for two reasons to me. 1) It's funny how people's first reaction to a female led show/movie is negative without anything on which to base that negativity  2) and, of course, the obvious lack of knowledge about the comic book history of She-Hulk.   :rofl:

Not that it seems to stop people of course, but there can be few bigger wastes of an adult's time than getting narked about the existence of a female Hulk. I myself am fine with it, as long as it's followed by He-Marvel, Black Widower and Scarlet Warlock. ;)

As primarily a street-level kind of hero but also a bit of a lightning rod for weirdness, Moon Knight always seemed to occupy a slightly odd territory in the books. I'm imagining something not too different to Legion where we can never be sure what's real, perhaps with a few cameos by established characters for him to play off.

15 minutes ago, jkjk said:

I don't know Moon Knight well, but it sounds like it could be fun.

Whenever I start to get too interested in a show, I remind myself it's a long wait for these shows.

Overall, I think he's probably a better fit for a mini-series than an origin movie, because they'll likely have to burn through at least two or three hours just to explain him and his powers.

Yeah, unfortunately, they're all still a long way off. Falcon and Winter Soldier won't be arriving for another year, followed by WandaVision and Loki in the Spring of 2021. That being said, it should be fun when more announcements about casting and suchlike start to roll in.

20 hours ago, jkjk said:

True, it was some of the cast announcements that made me more interested in the upcoming movies.

Absolutely, given Marvel's strong track record of casting their main players, I'll be watching pretty much all the future announcements with great interest. Provided they're willing to pony up on the CGI front, I see no reason why all these shows can't be hits.

• 2 weeks later...

A future Blade crossover perhaps, with Moon Knight now expected to feature the live-action debut of Werewolf By Night, a character long rumoured to appear in the MCU at some point. Although I guess the jury was out on where it might potentially come to fruition.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
34 minutes ago, jkjk said:

Interesting use of the multiverse. I'm sure there will be more now.

It's a piece of casting that the fans will have fun debating, for sure. What with the multiverse thing presumably being the main focus, the further thought occurs that Peters and Taylor-Johnson could both appear in some kind of sideways look at other realities.