Bellazon

Marvel on Disney+

Michael*

23 minutes ago, Michael* said:

It's a piece of casting that the fans will have fun debating, for sure. What with the multiverse thing presumably being the main focus, the further thought occurs that Peters and Taylor-Johnson could both appear in some kind of sideways look at other realities.

WandaVision and the Dr Strange movie should have a lot of fun appearances.

I'm somewhat hopeful for What If? for similar reasons.

13 hours ago, jkjk said:

WandaVision and the Dr Strange movie should have a lot of fun appearances.

I'm somewhat hopeful for What If? for similar reasons.

For starters, with Sam Raimi now in the director's chair for Strange 2, they'll be needing Bruce Campbell. :laugh:

It probably goes without saying but What If seems like a bit of a wild card. My biggest memory of the books is that they had a lot of morbid moments and some fairly dark outcomes, so based on that premise, the crazier they go with their ideas for the series, the better.

• 2 months later...

It sounds like Hailee Steinfeld will be joining the cast of Hawkeye as Kate Bishop. I must say, after True Grit, I fully expected her to become the next "young prestige" actress (a la Saoirse Ronan), but she's seemingly leaned towards stuff like Pitch Perfect and Bumblebee, which I guess is more her current brand. With that in mind, a Marvel gig should be a pretty good fit.

• 5 weeks later...

She-Hulk has added Tatiana Maslany who, having appeared in mostly thankless supporting parts since starring in Orphan Black, really deserved a plum role. Overall, it sounds like they're lining up some good people for this, so I hope they come up with something good.

7 hours ago, Michael* said:

We also have our first official trailer, for WandaVision.

This looks so unique compared to anything else Marvel has ever done. I’m curious how this will do.

ezgif-2-9ac8f81f997c.thumb.gif.6fe8090a2b53891c624b501d358760d4.gif

EDIT: poster

5i1pwqpnieo51.jpg

Edited by Matt!

1 hour ago, Matt! said:

This looks so unique compared to anything else Marvel has ever done. I’m curious how this will do.

This might be the first MCU project where I feel like I can't tell the direction the story is going, which is great. Naturally I suppose the question for many fans will be how much and how quickly the trippy classic sitcom imagery gives way to Marvel's more established visual style, but for me, the crazier they go with their ideas for the series, the better.

Not that it would have been on the cards for anyone other than Samuel L. Jackson to play Nick Fury (unless it was David Hasselhoff again), he's apparently now been confirmed to reprise the role in the previously announced series.

Truthfully, I can't think of many narrative dots in Fury's arc that demand explicit connections, but I could get behind a tightly-plotted series about surveillance and systems fighting systems. Throw in some Agents of SHIELD continuity for good measure, job's a good'un.

• 2 months later...

Kevin Feige recently announced a slew of Marvel projects including new TV shows for Disney+, several of which we already knew were in the works but some new ones as well.

Screenshot_20201211_130533.jpg

She-Hulk
As expected, Tatiana Maslany will portray Jennifer Walters, Tim Roth to return as the Abomination and Mark Ruffalo to appear too.

Screenshot_20201211_130625.jpg

Secret Invasion
Samuel L. Jackson back as Nick Fury, and Ben Mendelsohn, who was one of the highlights of Captain Marvel returns as Talos.

Screenshot_20201211_130727.jpg

Armor Wars
Don Cheadle returns as James Rhodes/War Machine in a story about Tony Stark's technology falling into the wrong hands.

Screenshot_20201211_130601.jpg

Moon Knight
No word on the lead actor as yet, but with original cast members expected to play a part.

Screenshot_20201211_130645.jpg

Ironheart

Dominique Thorne to play young inventor Riri Williams, who follows in Stark's footsteps and builds her own suit of armour.

Two Guardians of the Galaxy spin-offs also announced, albeit not expected to appear for some time to come.

Screenshot_20201211_130706.jpg

I Am Groot

Baby Groot to star in a series of shorts, supposedly featuring several new and unusual characters.

Screenshot_20201211_130743.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

James Gunn back to write and direct a one-off special for Christmas 2022.

So much new information, along with some confirmations. I'm not sure I will be in a rush to start the shows until there are a few out. With most of them having only six episodes, I don't want to be finished too quickly.

Leading up to this big release of information, there had been a number of smaller news stories (mainly about cast and writers).

18 hours ago, jkjk said:

So much new information, along with some confirmations. I'm not sure I will be in a rush to start the shows until there are a few out. With most of them having only six episodes, I don't want to be finished too quickly.

It occurs to me now that I haven't really seen any info on whether episodes will be released weekly or if seasons are going to drop all at once. If it's the former, the finale of WandaVision should more or less coincide with the debut of Falcon and Winter Soldier. If it's the latter, then the release schedule could start to feel a bit inconsistent.

3 hours ago, Michael* said:

It occurs to me now that I haven't really seen any info on whether episodes will be released weekly or if seasons are going to drop all at once.

I'm certain that it will be weekly, I know I saw that for WandaVision. Disney+ seems to be staying with that strategy.

2 hours ago, jkjk said:

I'm certain that it will be weekly, I know I saw that for WandaVision. Disney+ seems to be staying with that strategy.

Hopefully we'll see a bit of consistency in the episode running times. I know for me that's been the most off-putting thing about The Mandalorian, although I wouldn't have been so put out if the season had dropped all at once.