Bellazon

What did you last buy!

midnight lady

10 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

:dead_horse:

I just bought my husband sick gaming laptop too :rofl: I LOVE Christmas, don't be mean to me.

PC.jpg

I still have like 3-4 things to get my brother

1-2 things to get Christopher

3-4 things to get mom

3-5 things to get Phenobarbie

I'll be done by June for sure, and then anything else I pickup after that is extras. :chicken: 

Just now, Sanni said:

For Christmas? The warranty will run in the meantime…

3 year warranty on it, and once the warranty is up he'll get a new one. PC spec changes + being a gamer means you're constantly updating parts, with laptops it's a little harder so you just end up buying a new laptop which isn't a huge deal, it's like 1800$ for a decent laptop every 3-5 years, not bad at all imo.

^

I don't play games but I found that using a desktop (and keeping the lip open for years and using a strong fan (reversed)) has kept my PC working well for 11 years.   One summer my Hard drive burned out but I could have prevented it.   I only use it for web, communication, and work applications.

Games destroy computers very quickly.

1 minute ago, Cult Icon said:

^

I don't play games but I found that using a desktop (and keeping the lip open for years and using a strong fan (reversed)) has kept my PC working well for 11 years.   One summer my Hard drive burned out but I could have prevented it.   I only use it for web, communication, and work applications.

Games destroy computers very quickly.

Games don't destroy computers at all, however with the amount of new pc goodies coming out every year, a lot of gamers find themselves updating their computers to be able to run the newest games at the highest specs possible.

Nvidia 500 series graphics cards are still very usable in gaming, you might have your graphics set on the mid to low ranged end, but it doesn't cost much to get GTX 1060 ($350) which will allow max specs, if you really want a good graphics card you'll spend 700-1000$, but only streamers really buy them. A 1050-1060 will keep you going for at least 4-5 years during that time you can easily upgrade your other stuff if you want for a couple hundred dollars here and there. You can get a pretty decent gaming PC for 1300-2000$ and it'll last a good 8-10 years without any real problems, however if you want to keep up with the new PC stuff coming out you're going to replace parts, or the entire pc every 3-4 years.

https://www.newegg.com/

is a great place to check out the newest products coming out with cost.

:idk:  Either way I got my husband a great laptop that will last him years, and if at the end of his warranty he doesn't feel a need to upgrade, then he'll pay for another yearly warranty till he wants something better. All and all he's happy.

15 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

^

I don't play games but I found that using a desktop (and keeping the lip open for years and using a strong fan (reversed)) has kept my PC working well for 11 years.  

In reality you aren't really solving your cooling issues by removing the side panel. The principle of air cooling is to create either positive or negative air pressure within the case. Both have it's pros and cons, and there's tons of disagreement over optimal fan placement, but the point is: bring cool air in, heat it up, and get it out. When you remove the side panel, you disrupt the intended airflow of the case and invite more dust to settle on your components. So it's not recommended, at all.

If your pc runs significantly cooler with the side panel off then your case and its fans are either designed poorly or working poorly. I would honestly bite the bullet and buy upgraded fans depending on allowance in your tower, or a water cooling system, or buy yourself a brand new pc for 800$ and feel how much sexier it is.

Water Cooling: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=water+cooling&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Fans: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=fans&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

1 minute ago, Cult Icon said:

^

Well, the problematic part with laptops is keeping the internal temperature cool to keep the internal components from frying.   This is harder with laptops than with desktops.  

This works really well for laptops

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABMK55Z6937&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Accessories+-+Laptop+Cooling-_-9SIABMK55Z6937&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoa-93rD22QIVGIGzCh17EgKCEAQYASABEgIKDvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

For me it's worked.  I never opened the side panel until I lost a harddrive one summer (with a lot of valuable data).  I saw what a tech geek was doing at home and copied him.  I use the fan to rotate the air and it's stronger than installing 2-3 small internal fans.  

Whenever the internal temperature rises ( which activates the fans)- I manually turn on the external fan and eventually the internal fans shut off once the temperature drops.

8 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

For me it's worked.  I never opened the side panel until I lost a harddrive one summer (with a lot of valuable data).  I saw what a tech geek was doing at home and copied him.  I use the fan to rotate the air and it's stronger than installing 2-3 small internal fans.  

Whenever the internal temperature rises ( which activates the fans)- I manually turn on the external fan and eventually the internal fans shut off once the temperature drops.

That's actually not a bad little set up :yes:

Have you considered getting a PC?