Bellazon

Candice Swanepoel
Thumbnail

PeachMuffins

19 hours ago, MERPER said:

fair enough, thanks for the reply

with that all being said, maybe she wanted to do exactly what she did and is happy with her career and her life? unless, of course, she has stated the opposite and I missed that

Candice never struck me as the type to chase down immense fame and fortune.

I am sorry but Candice did not sign a VS contract out of the goodness in her heart, she signed a VS contract because she wanted easier money and recognition, which VS was notorious for providing in the 00s. The problem is that by the time Candice got a contract and became a top-tier Angel, the decline within VS had started and by the mid-10s there was nothing to stop the trainwreck and she jumped ship too late.

Not saying she isn't happy though, and I am sure she got plenty of money out of VS and she enjoyed not having to work as much as other girls to make her money because she had steady paycheck, enough that she was able to start her own brand which seems to be doing well. The problem with it tho, is that she became known as a swimsuit/lingerie model, and that is a hard gig to keep up once you start getting older, that's why diversifying is so important, so that once you are past your body prime (or you just get bored of it) you can still book other jobs in other areas. This is why many models turned down VS contracts or left relatively quickly, because they did not want to be tied-up to one thing for so long. Again, using Rosie and Miranda as examples: they also started with VS, became known as lingerie/swimsuit models, the difference is that they left VS early enough that they still had plenty of time to do other things, started their own brands/collabs, etc and now they are in a position where if they never want to do a lingerie/swimsuit shoot again, their careers will be okay, Rosie has become a style icon and Miranda is making so much bank with Kora. Candice, however, is still mainly known for her body because that has been her bread and butter for more than a decade now, but will that still be her bread and butter in ten years? Hard to tell, which is why I think she's trying to diversify now, so that she has broader options in the future.

Had VS not had the downfall they did, I am sure Candice would have pulled an Adriana and stay with VS for 20 years, which would have been completely okay. Clearly tho, that clearly will not be the case because we all know what happened to VS.

Candice has the same career as Adriana, with the difference that she started 8 years later. At one point, they are more commercial models than HF models or fashion magazine editorials. I remember that in the world of fashion everyone hated when a model signed as an angel with VS, it was like the sentence to her career as a model beyond posing in lingerie. VS demanded a lot of exclusivity, if you signed as an angel with them, yes, they will pay you very well to compensate for the exclusivity, but your career will pretty much come down to VS, which obviously isn't the most prestigious or glamorous company.

3 hours ago, Clauds said:

I am sorry but Candice did not sign a VS contract out of the goodness in her heart, she signed a VS contract because she wanted easier money and recognition, which VS was notorious for providing in the 00s. The problem is that by the time Candice got a contract and became a top-tier Angel, the decline within VS had started and by the mid-10s there was nothing to stop the trainwreck and she jumped ship too late.

Not saying she isn't happy though, and I am sure she got plenty of money out of VS and she enjoyed not having to work as much as other girls to make her money because she had steady paycheck, enough that she was able to start her own brand which seems to be doing well. The problem with it tho, is that she became known as a swimsuit/lingerie model, and that is a hard gig to keep up once you start getting older, that's why diversifying is so important, so that once you are past your body prime (or you just get bored of it) you can still book other jobs in other areas. This is why many models turned down VS contracts or left relatively quickly, because they did not want to be tied-up to one thing for so long. Again, using Rosie and Miranda as examples: they also started with VS, became known as lingerie/swimsuit models, the difference is that they left VS early enough that they still had plenty of time to do other things, started their own brands/collabs, etc and now they are in a position where if they never want to do a lingerie/swimsuit shoot again, their careers will be okay, Rosie has become a style icon and Miranda is making so much bank with Kora. Candice, however, is still mainly known for her body because that has been her bread and butter for more than a decade now, but will that still be her bread and butter in ten years? Hard to tell, which is why I think she's trying to diversify now, so that she has broader options in the future.

Had VS not had the downfall they did, I am sure Candice would have pulled an Adriana and stay with VS for 20 years, which would have been completely okay. Clearly tho, that clearly will not be the case because we all know what happened to VS.

I do think there is some truth to this, if she was busy modeling during her prime years after VS she could have been an even more successful model rather than getting caught up with the unexpected downfall of VS. Another factor I think you may be completely overlooking is her motherhood and relationship, which now that she is single she is getting back into modeling, likely trying to chase that same success and recognition she had early in her career. Anything about why she wasn’t more successful is mostly speculative. She also should start doing more of these actual studio photo shoots and runway appearances again rather than her low quality Instagram modeling for her swimsuit brand if she cares about being more successful. Then again if it wasn’t for her VS success, she wouldn’t have been able to make a profitable swimsuit brand where she overcharges based on name recognition of being a famous model (from what I can tell this is the brand, could be off I didn’t do too much research honestly)

ok to be clear i did not mean to ever imply she signed a VS contract out of the goodness of her heart

all I am saying is that unless she has specifically said otherwise, she always struck me as being happy/content with her career choices and lifestyle whereas the original post that started this entire convo implied her career went terribly wrong

from my perspective, being a big fan but not the most knowledgeable on everything candice, she just struck me as someone who was happy being with them, working less than others did, while enjoying her privacy and life with her boyfriend/husband (what happened leading to their divorce is irrelevant to this convo) and her children

almost like she was always good being a loving wife/mother first, loving her privacy second, and on the side doing modeling for a major company

she made the choice not to get into TV/movies or be very active on social media and I've always felt that is exactly how she wanted it to be. She just never, at any point, struck me as the kind to overly promote herself and show too much of her and her man, her letting loose, her fun personality, etc.

19 hours ago, MERPER said:

ok to be clear i did not mean to ever imply she signed a VS contract out of the goodness of her heart

all I am saying is that unless she has specifically said otherwise, she always struck me as being happy/content with her career choices and lifestyle whereas the original post that started this entire convo implied her career went terribly wrong

from my perspective, being a big fan but not the most knowledgeable on everything candice, she just struck me as someone who was happy being with them, working less than others did, while enjoying her privacy and life with her boyfriend/husband (what happened leading to their divorce is irrelevant to this convo) and her children

almost like she was always good being a loving wife/mother first, loving her privacy second, and on the side doing modeling for a major company

she made the choice not to get into TV/movies or be very active on social media and I've always felt that is exactly how she wanted it to be. She just never, at any point, struck me as the kind to overly promote herself and show too much of her and her man, her letting loose, her fun personality, etc.

Oh I fully agree with you on this, Candice has never stroke me as wanting to be extremely famous, she always looks annoyed in paparazzi pictures lol, but the problem is that in these day and age you have to be that famous to stay relevant in the long run, which is probably Candice's (and many others) prerogative because you want the gigs but you don't want to be parading in random events and PR stunts. And again, I think had VS worked out for the long-term run, I think she'd had stuck with that for sure. It's just unfortunate for her (and for a few other girls) that it didn't and now it's time to comeup with something else.

20 hours ago, stewpidaz said:

I do think there is some truth to this, if she was busy modeling during her prime years after VS she could have been an even more successful model rather than getting caught up with the unexpected downfall of VS. Another factor I think you may be completely overlooking is her motherhood and relationship, which now that she is single she is getting back into modeling, likely trying to chase that same success and recognition she had early in her career. Anything about why she wasn’t more successful is mostly speculative. She also should start doing more of these actual studio photo shoots and runway appearances again rather than her low quality Instagram modeling for her swimsuit brand if she cares about being more successful. Then again if it wasn’t for her VS success, she wouldn’t have been able to make a profitable swimsuit brand where she overcharges based on name recognition of being a famous model (from what I can tell this is the brand, could be off I didn’t do too much research honestly)

I am definitely not overlooking her relationship/motherhood, but I don't think that's something that has changed the direction of her career to be honest? We still don't see Candice acting out or getting herself in messy situations, the closest to that we've seen is the Kanye debacle and she kept her mouth quiet, did not say a single word about it, of course none of us know her personally but I just don't think Candice is that interested in being a celebrity per se, but rather a profitable model. She's still successful, probably one of the most successful models of her generation but I agree with you she should also keep diversifying herself and show different sides of her, which seems to be what she's doing so good for her. As for her brand, I have no idea about the quality but at least the designs seem good? I've never bought anything from it tho so I cannot say if they are overpriced, but I would never pay that much for a swimsuit so idk, I am probably not the target audience lol.

Anyway it's all speculation, but I am glad to see her still working and doing different things. I just wish she'd try something else looks-wise, she's had the same look for such a long time and I think it'd be refreshing to see her trying something else. But then again, I get that "blonde bombshell" is her bread and butter and it would be risky for her to do something else.

Candice overstayed her time with VS  because it was comfortable and that did work out for her for a while, like a few high profile events here and there, the shoots, the exposure the brand and the show had, being one of the favorites, and she had one of the biggest contracts in VS after Adriana and Alessandra at the time, so I do agree with Clauds, Candice would still be with VS if things didn't went the way they did.

Now, don't get it twisted, Candice have a pretty decent career and she still somewhat relevant, but she could have done a loooot more, like, she was getting big contracts in 2011, but VS saw how successful she was getting and probably decided give more and more shoots (which was a great move business wise, but for her career wasn't that smart), Candice got herself waaaay to absorbed in VS which was ok but exploded in her face at the very end.

Candice had a big ass potential, you could see it but she got limitated with the VS contract, and after that she got kind of lost but she seems back on track now, and I love to see that.