Bellazon

Brazilian model passes away

Lolita

I think this is very tragic once again. When does the modelling biz will understand that it's 1. not sexy too be anorexic looking and 2. it's just not healthy? I think this is a total failure in respect for the models...

My thoughts are with the family of all girls who died by anorexia

Of course this is tragic but i hate how the media deals with it - Most models are skinny but NOT anorexic and it looks like they're trying to give a bad image of the modeling world... you don't need to be a model to be anorexic, and i doubt a few pictures in fashion magazine can be the only cause of such a disease... it's like being skinny is a disease... if you don't have an eating disorder and are just naturally thin i don't see the problem.

but which girls in the business are REALLY naturally thin and don't have to hit the gym often, throw their food up or don't eat anything?

I mean so many girls just look unhealthy, and they are. only because not all of them are dying doesn't mean that they all are healthy.

and the fact is: you HAVE to be thin for being a model nowadays, and if it's natural or anorexia doesn't bother agencies and designers. and that's wrong in my opinion

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - The mother of a Brazilian fashion model who died from complications of anorexia has made an emotional appeal for parents to take better care of aspiring young models.

The death of Ana Carolina Reston, 21, follows growing criticism of the use of underweight models in the fashion world, an issue given new significance after the death in August of Uruguayan model Luisel Ramos of heart failure during a fashion show in Montevideo.

Reston died on Tuesday in a Sao Paulo hospital from a generalized infection caused by anorexia, an eating disorder in which sufferers obsessively deprive themselves of food in pursuit of an ultra-slim look.

Brazilian model Ana Carolina Reston died on November 14 from a generalized infection caused by anorexia. Her body-mass-index was well below that of the limit defined as starvation

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15750402/

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

RIP

Brazilian beauty Ana Carolina Reston, 21, starved herself to death.

November 16, 2006 -- A beautiful but weight-obsessed Brazilian model, who worked for some of New York's top agencies, has starved herself to death.

Ana Carolina Reston was only 21.

At the time of her death, the dark-haired, 5-foot-7 stunner - a client of renowned agencies including Ford, Elite and L'Equipe - weighed only 88 pounds.

She was hospitalized in Sao Paulo, Brazil, after suffering kidney failure on Oct. 25, the day before she was scheduled to go to Paris for a photo shoot.

"She didn't like when you asked her to eat," a cousin, Geise Strauss, told a Brazilian paper.

"When she ate, it was very little and she'd run to the bathroom immediately after [to throw up]."

In the months before her hospitalization, Reston was eating only apples and tomatoes, friends said.

The Sao Paulo native, who was buried yesterday, fulfilled her dream of becoming a model when she was only 13.

L'Equipe agency owner Lica Kohlrausch said she became concerned about Reston's weight when, after she'd worked in Japan on a catalog for Georgio Armani, "a representative of my agency called me and said Carolina was too skinny.

"For me, it was very worrisome coming from a woman who is used to working with models," Kohlrausch said.

Friends said that when Reston returned to Brazil, she sought treatment for anorexia - but still refused to believe she was sick.

Viviane Setti, whose fashion-model son was dating Reston said, "There is nothing glamorous in an end like this.