Bellazon

Linda Evangelista
Thumbnail

dcrim

CINDY CRAWFORD AND LINDA EVANGELISTA NOW SUPPORT THE HEAR THE WORLD FOUNDATION. 14.09.2016

The Hear the World Foundation is delighted to welcome the support of two legendary supermodels: Cindy Crawford and Linda Evangelista are now championing the cause of the non-profit foundation, whose vision is a world in which everyone has the chance to enjoy good hearing. As ambassadors, the models have had their pictures taken by photographer and musician Bryan Adams with one hand behind an ear – the Hear the World pose synonymous with conscious hearing.

Cindy Crawford, the woman who sports the world’s most famous beauty spot, is one of the legendary supermodels who shot to fame in the 1990s. Now a successful businesswoman and mother to a son and daughter, she is regarded as an American icon.

As an ambassador for the Hear the World Foundation, supporting children with hearing loss is a cause that is particularly close to her heart: “Helping children with hearing loss to hear is connecting them to the world. That is why I support the Hear the World Foundation.”

Canadian Linda Evangelista was also part of the generation of supermodels who made their name in the 90s. With her distinctive look and versatility, she conquered the catwalks and the magazine covers of the fashion world.

Working together for better hearing
As committed ambassadors, Cindy Crawford and Linda Evangelista are in good company: More than 90 celebrities – including Sting, Kate Moss, Jean-Paul Gaultier, and Annie Lennox – have declared their support for Hear the World and had their photographs taken in the conscious hearing pose by Bryan Adams. They all contribute towards raising public awareness for the importance of good hearing.

Cindy-Crawford_Linda-Evangelista_640_01.jpg

hear-the-world.com

• 2 weeks later...

Why Linda Evangelista Has the Perfect Name, According to One Allure Editor

She's been called the chameleon and the supermodel's model. And while she's absolutely both those things, to me she most embodies her given name, Linda. The name means "beautiful." She is Linda Evangelista. To me, she is the ultimate supermodel. And as the bookings director of Allure, where models and beauty are quite literally my job, it's tough to pick out favorites from the hundreds of women I've met, but Linda has always stood out. Not just because she's a friend to this day (and I still get starstruck when she double-taps any of my Instagrams), but because she embodies the meaning of her name—beautiful—inside and out. Here's the proof.

1. Linda Evangelista can pull off any hair color or cut—and command any room with that hair, too.

The very first fashion show I ever went to was Ronaldus Shamask. This was 1990—when rules weren't exactly often broken—and everyone was curious as to why Linda had gone "champagne blonde" and would be opening the show with her new do. Besides, Evangelista had already chopped her long brunette locks into the short boy cut given to her by superstar hairstylist Julien Farel. No one could keep their eyes off Linda. Including myself. With every step, look, or outfit, she had everyone's attention. I'd argue she can make herself into basicallyanything a photographer, designer, magazine, or stylist wants.

2. Linda Evangelista always dressed the part of "supermodel."

The first time I remember seeing her at Elite, Evangelista wore an iconic pinkChanel wool suit. Always the model, but always all business, too. I loved that, even if I was a little nervous—maybe a tiny bit scared, too—upon meeting her for the first time. (I mean, hello, she's Linda Evangelista! The ultimate professional. The ultimate model.) Did I mention she could deliver a look that really killed? But the more we got to know each other, the less intimidating she was and the more funny (and friendly) she became. Her humor, I'd argue, is cheeky but with a touch of irreverence, a dash of sarcasm, and a pinch of camp for good measure. Just watch her in the classic film Unzipped, the 1995 documentary that follows Isaac Mizrahi and the making of his 1994 fall collection and fashion show (where the image above is from). In case you haven't seen the film (go out and rent it ASAP!), I attended that show—and it was every bit as glamorous and fun as you’d imagine.

Also, do yourself a favor and check out Peter Lindbergh's Models: The Film, a documentary that was released a few years prior, in 1991. Cameras follow Linda,Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Tatjana Patitz and Stephanie Seymour over the course of a few days of shooting in New York City. All five of them are exceptionally lush in this, but my two favorite scenes are with Linda, naturally. One is at Jones Beach, where she delivered the best line, in my opinion, of the film: "You're all in my light!" Of course, I also love when Evangelista is filmed on a SoHo street corner, whipping out her accordion and busting out a tune. Hidden talent much?

3. Linda Evangelista knows beauty is intrinsically tied to inner beauty—and hidden talents, too.

So Linda really does know how to play the accordion, which is kind of incredible. Years ago, when she was dating Kyle MacLachlan and living part time in Los Angeles, I was visiting my brother in San Diego before we road-tripped up the coast to visit the couple and a few of their friends. After dinner and probably several bottles of wine, I asked Linda if she had her accordion in the house. She went to the closet to bring it down. I held it for just a minute, because that thing was fucking heavy. Then I asked her to play something, and she obliged. I can't for the life of me remember what she played. Probably because of the wine back then—or the loss of brain cells now.

4. Linda Evangelista knows how to make you hustle, even on a rainy day.

Another fond memory of Linda is from one of my birthdays. It was raining, and I had planned the whole thing at a chic outdoor New York venue. Because it always rains on my birthday, I was pretty inconsolable. (You'd be too, promise.) Being the drama queen I was, I immediately starting calling people to tell them it was canceled. But then Linda got me on the phone and basically told me to get over myself (tough love FTW) and to bring the party to Tortilla Flats in the West Village, where she and Kyle were having margaritas and Mexican food.

Well, Linda saved my birthday that year. We had such a blast. And she paid for the entire thing.

5. Linda Evangelista can make you feel like asupermodel and definitely, at the very least, have you enjoy the company of other supermodels. (Oh, hey, Kate Moss.)

In the very early '90s, I supplemented my junior booker (read: assistant) salary by being Linda's part-time personal assistant. (Agreed, it could have been way worse.) Although I only lasted six months because of my full-time spot at Elite, I loved spending time with Linda then. Not only was her building supercool, but she had some pretty swag neighbors: Cindy Crawford. Christy Turlington. Basically, supermodel central.

My job entailed organizing her bills, going through her fan mail, replying to the myriad of invitations to movie premieres, charity functions, etc. I also accompanied her to her New York fashion shows and any other events. One such event was the short-lived Venus Awards, which was a kind of loose version of the Oscars for models. One year for the awards, Kate Moss came over to Linda's and we were all going to pick up Naomi and head over to the Tunnel nightclub, where the awards were being held. But the crowd was massive, things were getting chaotic, and we couldn't even get out of the limo. (I know, #firstworldproblems.) So we all had to hold each other's hand in single file as we navigated the crowd. I had Linda holding one hand and Kate holding my other. Yeah, I was in model heaven. I don't really remember the awards and afterparty, except I clearly recall Helena Christensen slapping me in face. But I swear for a good reason.

Bottom line: I learned a lot from Linda Evangelista about inner and outer beauty.

During that time and during my entire career at Elite, Linda helped me become better at my job. And I'm still in touch with Linda to this day. And like I said, shit, I still get a kick when she likes any of my Instas. I don't make a habit of picking favorites, but I have to make the exception here. Because honestly, fuck all those haters who gave her so much flak about that damn quote about not getting up for less than $10,000 a day. Linda is worth every dollar, euro, and pound, in my opinion. You really don't get much better or more beautiful (inside and out) than Linda. After all, it is her name.

allure.com