Bellazon

Elsa Hosk
Thumbnail

killino

Editorialist Magazine Holiday 2016

ph: Derek Kettela

P6tLV7za.jpg e5xf7tnD.jpg uSa7usax.jpg sZ6f0XI4.jpg krMslEZY.jpg IwQ4gV1a.jpg afk1MNCY.jpg

Interview: 

Elsa Hosk is promptly on time for our interview. At 11 A.M., she bursts into The Smile coffee shop in Tribeca dressed in all black everything. Athletic leggings, Nike trainers and an oversized Balenciaga bomber jacket with flaxen tendrils pulled up in a high ponytail. Even fully incognito, all heads turn. Hosk is hard to miss.

In case you haven’t noticed, the Stockholm native is having a moment. One of Victoria’s Secret’s most recently anointed Angels with modeling spots for legendary fashion houses including Christian Dior, Dolce & Gabbana and Moschino, the 28-year-old Swedish beauty has emerged at the top of the fashion fray—a rare feat for a fickle industry that now changes by the hashtag. And with five seasons of walking the highly coveted Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show under her belt, Hosk has cemented her status as poster girl of today’s new breed of supermodels thatrecruit millions of fans with the click of a post—whether it’s on the runway or off.

Despite the early fall chill; Hosk orders an iced mocha latte from a polite barista who tries not to stare. “I have one every morning. It’s my one dose of chocolate for the day,” she quips. Despite her cocoa fix, after our meeting, she’ll head to downtown gym The Dogpound for a requisite sweat session. The Scandinavian model is currently in #trainlikeanangel mode with the show less than two months away. “I’ve been trying to eat really clean and step up my workouts,” she reveals. (Read: no carbs or processed foods—her favorite things, incidentally.) “You get into the mind frame of an athlete,” explains Hosk, who as a teenager in Sweden pursued pro-basketball before modeling took off. “You don’t feel like you’re preparing for a fashion show. It’s more like a marathon or the Olympics. At the end of it you’re the strongest you’ve ever been.” (Hours later, her Instagram video of squatting, lunging and leg lifting will garner nearly 150,000 views and over 300 comments.)

Growing up in Stockholm, Hosk’s tale begins with typical awkward pre-modeling lore. “I looked crazy,” protests Hosk, whose Nordic beauty is hardly debatable. “I had these round cheeks, braces and corkscrew locks. It’s different than nowadays with social media. Back then modeling was not something that girls aspired to do. It just didn’t really exist.” Still, fate came calling and she snagged her first major gig starring in a Guess campaign shot by photographer Ellen von Unwerth. At 20, she scored a Victoria’s Secret Pink campaign that put her on the map. Two years later, she walked her first show for the mega lingerie brand. “I was so nervous,” recalls Hosk. “I kept looking at the other girls, trying to observe what they were doing and how they were preparing.” Cut to five seasons later and a coveted Angel contract, Hosk is now a bona fide veteran. “You get a platform to build a brand and expose my fans to things that I believe in,” says Hosk on how her career has changed since. “Without Victoria’s Secret, I don’t know if I would have gotten to that point.” To wit, since earning her Angel wings, @hoskelsa has amassed quite the following. She’s racked up 2.8 million followers on Instagram who obsess over her whimsical feed of posts—whether it’s dancing around a ballroom clad in nothing but lingerie or promoting ocean awareness on a paddleboard in the Balearic Islands—all without the boost of a reality show, celebrity family or coveted spot on T-Swift’s squad. In fact, Hosk might be one of the last remaining supermodel-turned-social media stars plucked from obscurity. “I totally understand it,” Hosk freely admits on the current pop culture meets fashion phenomenon. “Everything is driven by sales so having a huge fan base, you will get that brand to hire you. That said, I have so much respect for girls that are doing it on their own. But everyone has to prove themselves. To get to the top, you have to have something. You don’t just get there by chance. There’s always talent involved.”

As for her personal style, Hosk has perfected a vintage-minded look that’s uniquely her own, also favoring edgy designers including Totem, Acne Studios and Vetements. “I don’t necessarily follow trends,” she says. “I wake up in the morning and want to be a character.” (Enter Bianca Jagger in a sharp red blazer and matching silk cravate or Jane Birkin in denim overalls over a cropped peasant blouse.) It’s this magpie style that has spurred collaborations with brands like Redone and Swedish label Bik Bok. Then there’s her current side project co-designing a clothing line dubbed Lola Rebella, targeted to Hosk’s legion of young fans. “The vibe is flea market and a little bit mismatched,” says Hosk who references Reformation, Gucci and Heidi Slimane as design inspiration. “We want to try to make it as eco-friendly as possible but for a young girl that can afford it.”

Hosk, who currently lives in Manhattan credits her hometown for her freedom with fashion. “I love New York because you can be whoever you want to be and nobody will raise an eyebrow,” she says. “You can walk down the street and you’re a little bit anonymous. People don’t get impressed and I like that.” Still, that hasn’t stopped paparazzi from rabidly tracking her every move while “anonymously” navigating the city streets. In turn, the candid shots become headlines in publications from Vogue and to the Daily Mail. (See: “How Elsa Hosk is Bringing Back Fendi Logomania!” or “Elsa Hosk Turns Heads In Prairie Dress!”)

Next up? “I want to do different things that are outside of the box,” she hints. “I would love to do a Dolce and Gabbana campaign. They are so epic. People screaming and smiling; it’s like acting.” Is that a clue towards thespian pursuits? “I love to be in front of the camera and play,” she demurs. “Never say never.” Translation? This is just the beginning.

I'm hoping someone on the crew uploads them to their portfolio cause I can't figure out how to get them any larger. :/