Bellazon

2020 SI Swimsuit

SI swimsuit seems to have devolved/defunded into a vanity project by their corporate owners as part of their "social responsibility" budget.  Unless there was a mass layoff of their staff, they have demonstrated in the past that they know how to make a good magazine.   I doubt that it is about selling things this time around. 

6 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

SI magazine seems to have devolved/defunded into a vanity project by their corporate owners as part of their "social responsibility" budget.  I doubt that it is about selling things this time around. 

But actual stakeholders aren't terribly impressed by any of this, if they're even paying attention in the first place. It's closer to those corporate diversity initiatives than, for example, anything actual transgender activists are asking for (such as, I dunno, protection from employment or housing discrimination). The impression I've gotten from those I know is, "okay, that's nice, I guess?"

I bet, though, that both SI and their advertisers are each paying a lot of money to consultants who tell them this is real activism.

Just now, Memento Mori said:

But actual stakeholders aren't terribly impressed by any of this, if they're even paying attention in the first place. It's closer to those corporate diversity initiatives than, say, anything actual transgender activists are asking for (such as, I dunno, protection from employment or housing discrimination).

Well, probably not but the magazine this year looks like it had barely any budget at all.  Basically it looks like it's defunded, which means it's dead in the water.  The SI youtube channel for a year or so rode on its past content and endlessly recycled old BTS videos and cut content until they too, ran out.

5 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

the magazine this year looks like it had barely any budget at all. 

Given this, I am not surprised:

Meredith will pay a licensing fee to operate Sports Illustrated and SI.com for at least two years as part of the deal; ABG plans to focus on expanding the brand into areas including live events, gambling, eSports and video. Meredith has now raked in approximately $450 million from the sale of Time, Fortune and Sports Illustrated in its fiscal 2019.

The company operating SI literally already sold it.

2 hours ago, Memento Mori said:

I bet, though, that both SI and their advertisers are each paying a lot of money to consultants who tell them this is real activism

I am outside the USA, so I might be missing the real ads, but swimsuit.si.com has generic google ads, rather than any brand deals. Those kinds of ads make a tiny fraction of what you get from a direct deal with a big brand. They probably don't even cover the ongoing staff bill, never mind paying for photoshoots.

9 hours ago, Clauds said:

Olivia Brower

8 hours ago, Clauds said:

Kelsey Merritt

Well, both of these photoshoots are also pretty decent. The pictures aren't perfect, but both models are pretty good and the swimsuits are actually very nice. It's like there are two sub-parts in this year's issue: the old way and the... "new" way.

Also, I really like Emily Didonato's picture. :heythere:

Thanks for all the uploads (to you and the other uploaders).

6 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

SI swimsuit seems to have devolved/defunded into a vanity project by their corporate owners as part of their "social responsibility" budget.  Unless there was a mass layoff of their staff, they have demonstrated in the past that they know how to make a good magazine.   I doubt that it is about selling things this time around. 

Yup, but only part of this issue is like this. For the other part, they tried to do it the old-fashioned way. That's why they brought back models like Emily Didonato.

Kelsey, Camille, Olivia, Vita, Robin and a couple of others are also part of the "old-fashioned" sub-division. All in all, it's not as bad as I imagined it would be. I'm actually positively surprised by many pictures, though, as you say, it seems that they didn't spend a lot of money (the photography looks quite cheap at times).

^ That doesn't mean that it will save this magazine (this whole thing is pretty much done), but, maybe, they wanted to send positive vibes to people that liked this magazine when it was glorious.