Bellazon

Tiger Woods
Thumbnail

T0_-1_1722439.jpg

Eldrick "Tiger" Woods (born December 30, 1975 in Cypress, California) is an American golfer whose achievements to date rank him among the most successful golfers of all time. Woods was the highest paid professional athlete in 2005, having earned an estimated $87 million. In 2006, at the age of 30, he won his eleventh and twelfth professional major golf championships and has more wins on the PGA Tour than any other active golfer. He is the only active golfer currently in the top 10 in either career major wins or career PGA Tour wins.

Woods, who is multiracial, is credited with prompting a major surge of interest in the game of golf among minorities and young people in the United States.

Background and family

Woods' father, Earl Woods, was a Vietnam vet. and a retired U.S. Army lieutenant colonel, of mixed African American (50 percent), Chinese (25 percent) and Native American (25 percent) ancestry. He was the chairman of his son's charitable foundation (the Tiger Woods Foundation) before his death at age 74 on May 3, 2006, following a lengthy battle with prostate cancer (see section charity and youth projects below). Woods' mother, Kultida Woods, is originally from Thailand, and is of mixed Thai (50 percent), Chinese (25 percent), and Dutch (25 percent) ancestry. This makes Woods himself one-quarter Chinese, one-quarter Thai, one-quarter African, one-eighth Native American, and one-eighth Dutch. He affably refers to his ethnic make-up as Cablinasian (a portmanteau of Caucasian, Black, American-Indian, and Asian), a term he made up himself.

Born Eldrick Woods in Cypress, California, he was nicknamed

post-4615-1162590428_thumb.jpg

post-4615-1162590500_thumb.jpg

post-4615-1162590599_thumb.jpg

post-4615-1162590645_thumb.jpg

post-4615-1162590713_thumb.jpg

post-4615-1162590888_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

152680in0.jpg

Grand Master: Tiger Wins No. 7

By Sports Network - November 22, 2006

POIPU BEACH, Hawaii -- No one had more bogeys than Tiger Woods in the first round. No one had more birdies than him in the second.

The world's best golfer turned a comeback into a stroll Wednesday with a 6-under 66 in the second and final round of the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, winning it for the seventh time in eight tries.

Tiger Woods had as many birdies Wednesday as the other three players combined.Woods began the day in third place, three shots behind Jim Furyk, after making three bogeys in a 2-under 70 on Tuesday. He collected six birdies without a bogey on Wednesday and beat his Ryder Cup teammate by two shots at 8-under-par 136.

It was deja vu all over again for the spectators at Poipu Bay, where Woods has won seven straight appearances since finishing runner-up in his first in 1997.

"I've had some of my best golf right here on this golf course," said Woods, who collected $500,000 for the win. "I've seen the same people over and over again, so it's pretty cool."

Furyk, the 2003 champion, had a 1-under 71 and took second place at 6-under 138 to claim $300,000. He was No. 1 on the major championship points list and made the field because Woods won the British Open and PGA Championship.

Geoff Ogilvy, a first-time Grand Slam winner at the U.S. Open, finished third at 2-under 142 following a disappointing 74. He made $250,000.

Mike Weir, who got in based on points after Masters champion Phil Mickelson declined, was a distant fourth place at 1-over 145. He also shot a 74 Wednesday and claimed $200,000.

As the players approached the turn, it looked like Furyk would carry a lead onto Poipu Bay's back nine. But Woods chipped in from in front of the No. 9 green for an unexpected birdie -- his fourth on the front side -- to tie Furyk at 9 under.

The shot elicited a familiar fist-pump from the new co-leader.

"I was just trying to get it close and get out of there with a four," said Woods, whose 32 was the lowest nine-hole score of the event.

At the par-4 10th, Furyk made his first bogey of the tournament when he missed a 7-foot par putt. Woods saved par with a 10-footer, and took the lead for good.

From that point, it was vintage Tiger-down-the-stretch highlights.

The only respite for the others came during a heavy downpour at the 13th, where they stalled on the fairway while their caddies shielded them from rain and winds gusting to 30 mph.

At the par-4 15th, Tiger eschewed his driver for an iron off the tee, much like he did throughout his dominating performance at the British Open.

Furyk used a driver and knocked his approach within 8 feet, then watched Woods roll in a 20-foot birdie putt to move to 7 under. Furyk stepped up to his birdie putt, took aim, and slid it past the left side of the hole.

It was a disheartening par, and a devastating two-shot swing: What should have been a tie ended, instead, with Woods leading by two shots.

Furyk went on the birdie the 18th, but so did Woods -- the end of his 10th title worldwide this year.

"This season's been pretty incredible," said Woods, before joking, "I won a few tournaments here and there, so it's been nice."

152680in0.jpg

Grand Master: Tiger Wins No. 7

By Sports Network - November 22, 2006

POIPU BEACH, Hawaii -- No one had more bogeys than Tiger Woods in the first round. No one had more birdies than him in the second.

The world's best golfer turned a comeback into a stroll Wednesday with a 6-under 66 in the second and final round of the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, winning it for the seventh time in eight tries.

Tiger Woods had as many birdies Wednesday as the other three players combined.Woods began the day in third place, three shots behind Jim Furyk, after making three bogeys in a 2-under 70 on Tuesday. He collected six birdies without a bogey on Wednesday and beat his Ryder Cup teammate by two shots at 8-under-par 136.

It was deja vu all over again for the spectators at Poipu Bay, where Woods has won seven straight appearances since finishing runner-up in his first in 1997.

"I've had some of my best golf right here on this golf course," said Woods, who collected $500,000 for the win. "I've seen the same people over and over again, so it's pretty cool."

Furyk, the 2003 champion, had a 1-under 71 and took second place at 6-under 138 to claim $300,000. He was No. 1 on the major championship points list and made the field because Woods won the British Open and PGA Championship.

Geoff Ogilvy, a first-time Grand Slam winner at the U.S. Open, finished third at 2-under 142 following a disappointing 74. He made $250,000.

Mike Weir, who got in based on points after Masters champion Phil Mickelson declined, was a distant fourth place at 1-over 145. He also shot a 74 Wednesday and claimed $200,000.

As the players approached the turn, it looked like Furyk would carry a lead onto Poipu Bay's back nine. But Woods chipped in from in front of the No. 9 green for an unexpected birdie -- his fourth on the front side -- to tie Furyk at 9 under.

The shot elicited a familiar fist-pump from the new co-leader.

"I was just trying to get it close and get out of there with a four," said Woods, whose 32 was the lowest nine-hole score of the event.

At the par-4 10th, Furyk made his first bogey of the tournament when he missed a 7-foot par putt. Woods saved par with a 10-footer, and took the lead for good.

From that point, it was vintage Tiger-down-the-stretch highlights.

The only respite for the others came during a heavy downpour at the 13th, where they stalled on the fairway while their caddies shielded them from rain and winds gusting to 30 mph.

At the par-4 15th, Tiger eschewed his driver for an iron off the tee, much like he did throughout his dominating performance at the British Open.

Furyk used a driver and knocked his approach within 8 feet, then watched Woods roll in a 20-foot birdie putt to move to 7 under. Furyk stepped up to his birdie putt, took aim, and slid it past the left side of the hole.

It was a disheartening par, and a devastating two-shot swing: What should have been a tie ended, instead, with Woods leading by two shots.

Furyk went on the birdie the 18th, but so did Woods -- the end of his 10th title worldwide this year.

"This season's been pretty incredible," said Woods, before joking, "I won a few tournaments here and there, so it's been nice."

fascinating

• 2 weeks later...

Tiger Woods and Nike announced today that a new contract today, extending a relationship that began when Tiger first turned professional and turned Nike into a force in world golf. Financial terms were not announced but you can be sure that Tiger received a significant raise from the $20 million per year for five years that he was making under the previous contract.

According to this article in Golf Digest, Tiger is well on his way to becoming the first athlete to become a billionaire from his or her earnings as an athlete. Tiger, through the end of 2005, has reached the half-billion dollar mark according to Golf Digest and he has only just begun. For comparison purposes, his on course earnings through 2005 total a mere $66 million, dwarfed by his endorsement income of over $480 million. Since his largest earning years probably lie ahead, Tiger's billionaire status is just around the corner.

Tiger Woods leads at Thousand Oaks

Tiger Woods shot his second straight 4-under-par 68 Friday and has a one-stroke lead at the Target World Challenge in Thousand Oaks, Calif.

Woods is the tournament host and a two-time winner of the event.

He is 8-under 136 after two rounds and leads first-round front-runner Henrik Stenson (71) of Sweden.

"My iron game wasn't very good. I'm still struggling with my speed on the greens," admitted Woods, who had two major titles among his eight wins in 2006. "I kept blowing them by the hole today. Luckily a couple of them had train wrecks and went in. Otherwise, it was a little bit of a struggle."

Americans Chris DiMarco (68) and Geoff Ogilvy (70), this year's U.S. Open winner, are tied for third at 6-under 138.

England's Paul Casey (70) is alone in fifth place at 5-under 139.

Source:Arcamax

• 3 weeks later...

Woods reveals wife is pregnant

Tiger Woods celebrated his 31st birthday by sharing some of his biggest news of the year - his wife is expecting their first child.

"Obviously, we couldn't be happier and our families are thrilled," Woods said on his Web site.

"I have always wanted to be a dad. I just wish my father could be around to share the experience."

Woods and Elin Nordegren of Sweden married in October 2004, and Woods has said that he wanted children sooner instead of later.

He did not say when the baby is due, although it likely would be between the US Open and British Open.

The world's No.1 player is skipping the season-opening Mercedes-Benz Championship next week on Maui.

"I'm going to stick close to home for the next few weeks," he said.

Woods will start his 2007 season in the Buick Invitational at the end of January, "which will allow Elin and I to spend more time with our families during this very special time in our lives."

Woods will skip season opener

Tiger Woods will not play this week in the season-opening Mercedes-Benz Championship in Kapalua, Hawaii, the second straight elite tournament he has skipped. The Mercedes is only for PGA Tour winners from the previous year; Woods also sat out the season-ending Tour Championship in November for the top 30 players on the money list.

Woods, who went skiing in Colorado with his family after winning the Target World Challenge on Dec. 17, said he did not have time to get his game ready and wanted to spend more time on vacation.

He ended last year winning six consecutive PGA Tour events, a streak that will remain on hold until Jan. 25 at the Buick Invitational in San Diego, where Woods is the two-time defending champion.