Bellazon

Hellboy (2019)

Cult Icon

I suppose to be fair, Del Toro's team created such a fantastic costume that a more drastic departure might have just looked like change for the sake of change, but I honestly thought that they might have been tempted to give Hellboy glowing eyes, like he has in the books.

oh wow, it's about the "Blood Queen!"  That's from the story arc that centered on slavic/english mythology

Hellboy-Blood-Queen-comic-609x500.jpglatest?cb=20140824011030

On 9/15/2017 at 7:54 AM, Michael* said:

I suppose to be fair, Del Toro's team created such a fantastic costume that a more drastic departure might have just looked like change for the sake of change, but I honestly thought that they might have been tempted to give Hellboy glowing eyes, like he has in the books.

The main issue I have with this new hellboy is that he looks like a menacing demon.  Hellboy is not edgy.  He's a tired,. reluctant warrior and a prism for the reader/viewer (the only voice of simple human decency in an insane world).  Hellboy is very much like the GI Joes from Bill Mauldin comics (probably one of the inspirations for the author) :  

UpFrontB.gif

• 1 year later...

Looks a lot of fun and I see the influence of the comics.  However, some caveats: The hellboy actor looks and sounds stilted, - so far he looks like a discount version of Ron Perlman.  The comic influences look scattered around and not coherent.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 1:03 AM, Cult Icon said:

Looks a lot of fun and I see the influence of the comics.  However, some caveats: The hellboy actor looks and sounds stilted, - so far he looks like a discount version of Ron Perlman.  The comic influences look scattered around and not coherent. 

I get the impression that instead of doing a different take on the comics, they're trying a different take on the movies, which never really matched the source material perfectly but had the visual flair of Del Toro to offset the difficulty of adapting Mignola's tone to the big screen. The "R rated with a lot of violence" angle somehow feels less like Hellboy to me, and while there was never any doubt that this would incorporate violent themes, most of the stuff in the books was depicted with subtlety or left entirely to the imagination.

4 hours ago, Michael* said:

I get the impression that instead of doing a different take on the comics, they're trying a different take on the movies, which never really matched the source material perfectly but had the visual flair of Del Toro to offset the difficulty of adapting Mignola's tone to the big screen. The "R rated with a lot of violence" angle somehow feels less like Hellboy to me, and while there was never any doubt that this would incorporate violent themes, most of the stuff in the books was depicted with subtlety or left entirely to the imagination.

The movie trailer makes it look like they are going for a "deadpool"- humor, breaking the 4th wall and such.  There is little indication of powerful mystery/ story/mythology- which was the genius of Mignola's work.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:38 PM, Cult Icon said:

The movie trailer makes it look like they are going for a "deadpool"- humor, breaking the 4th wall and such.  There is little indication of powerful mystery/ story/mythology- which was the genius of Mignola's work.

Always loved the 'existential horror' feel that Mignola brought to his stories, I've been dreaming of seeing a good adaptation of that for quite a while.

Slightly random aside but when Ian McShane spoke in the trailer, it made me realise just how crucial John Hurt was to the initial movies and how enjoyable he was in the role. However it's precisely because Hurt so perfectly embodied the comic book character that I don't mind McShane basically just playing himself in this one. I’d rather see a new take than an imitation of what's already been done.

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 9:51 AM, Michael* said:

Always loved the 'existential horror' feel that Mignola brought to his stories, I've been dreaming of seeing a good adaptation of that for quite a while.

Slightly random aside but when Ian McShane spoke in the trailer, it made me realise just how crucial John Hurt was to the initial movies and how enjoyable he was in the role. However it's precisely because Hurt so perfectly embodied the comic book character that I don't mind McShane basically just playing himself in this one. I’d rather see a new take than an imitation of what's already been done.

Hurt and Perlmann were perfect for the roles- it's hard to see anyone who could do better.

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Hellboy is getting bad reviews

Oof. :sad:

Some of the bite-sized reviews I've seen up to now read like Del Toro diehards upset that he didn't get to do a third film. Either way, I'll probably still go and see it, but if I said this wasn't a little deflating to the enthusiasm, I'd be lying.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:05 PM, Michael* said:

Oof. :sad:

Some of the bite-sized reviews I've seen up to now read like Del Toro diehards upset that he didn't get to do a third film. Either way, I'll probably still go and see it, but if I said this wasn't a little deflating to the enthusiasm, I'd be lying.

I'm still interested in it for the imagery- it's as if the director read the comics and then mashed so much of it together

20 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

I'm still interested in it for the imagery- it's as if the director read the comics and then mashed so much of it together

Indeed, from what I've heard, the movie is essentially a selection of Hellboy's 'greatest hits' interspersed with a lot of gore and schlocky action sequences.

It was curious to hear, what with the vast majority of the comics featuring an older, more world weary version of Hellboy, that they went for another 'emotionally immature' take on the character here. That was an idea that seemingly came directly from Del Toro, and I would have thought, since this was supposed to be a new vision, that they would have tried something a little different with it.

Perhaps unsurprisingly given the recent reviews, it's not been an auspicious opening weekend, with the movie taking twelve million dollars against a budget of fifty. For comparison's sake, Hellboy '04 took $23m on its opening weekend, while Golden Army made $34.5m.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, GetOffMyLawn said:

I'm actually excited to watch this. Mainly because of Milla :heart:.

I consider Milla pretty underrated as an actor, albeit one who doesn't always do the right stuff. However, I get the impression that she genuinely enjoys making movies like this one rather than it being something she just does for a pay packet. So hey, who can blame her?