Bellazon

Dexter

k_dub

Dexter' Spinoff: Showtime Boss Wants to Keep the Franchise 'Alive'

The executive, who oversaw the conclusion of the series that helped put the cable network on the map for original programming, has been fielding questions about whether the Michael C. Hall-Jennifer Carpenter-starrer would continue on in a new form since Showtime confirmed that its current eighth season would be Dexter's last.

"We're nowhere yet, but I do feel like Dexter is such a core franchise to Showtime," Nevins told The Hollywood Reporter at a September Paley Center event celebrating the series. "Arguably, Dexter is to Showtime what Spider-Man is to Sony or Batman is to Warner Bros., so I think it's going to be important for us to keep it alive."

In April, Nevins said that "all options were on the table" when THR asked if Showtime would explore rumblings about a Dexter spinoff built around Carpenter's Deb, which now doesn't seem to be the case both in terms of her storyline or what the actress is open to doing. "I think I have played Deb from start to finish," Carpenter said at this month's Paley event.

The series will end its run on Sunday with a finale that Carpenter said feels "appropriate and right" and will allow her to close the book on Debra Morgan, who was shot and called for help in Dexter's penultimate episode.

With Deb's future not looking so bright, Nevins admitted that the network spends a considerable amount of time pondering what the franchise's afterlife could look like. (For its part, AMC recently reached an agreement for a Breaking Bad spinoff -- potential prequel Better Call Saul, featuring Bob Odenkirk's character -- and is prepping a Walking Dead scripted companion series.)

"We spend a lot of time talking about how we keep the show alive, so it may be a more complicated original idea than just a spinoff," Nevins said of the potential follow-up, which likely would come from Dexter showrunner Scott Buck, who recently inked a two-year development deal with the network.

Nevins said that while the series will continue to have a presence on Showtime and its digital and mobile platforms -- it's one of the most watched shows on the network and beyond -- there are a "bunch of different ways" to do a Dexter spinoff. "I hope that whatever we do will feel both original and in keeping with what people expect out of Dexter," he said, noting it was too soon to discuss if Showtime had been in talks with any of the original cast members. That's in-line with the executive's July comments, when Nevins said that the project may not "necessarily [be] a spinoff."

"There's no sense of whether it will happen and if it will happen, but I want to stay in business with Scott," he said at the time, encouraging the assembled reporters and press at Showtime's Television Critics Association stop to draw their own conclusions about a potential spinoff.

While the future of Dexter remains unclear, Nevins is optimistic that horror drama Penny Dreadful will become the "next big genre show" at Showtime.

"It's very, very different, but it's a true horror show," he said. "There's definitely an audience for premium genre graphic novel [material] but with richness and depth. I think Penny Dreadful is a great answer to where the Dexter fan goes next. I think it's going to be that same kind of immersive universe that Dexter has been for seven seasons."

Disliked the ending of the show so much, and I thought I'd be more upset about the person's death... but I got nothing from it.

Major Spoilers

So basically Dex somehow survives a hurricane out at sea...( must of been a bitch to swim back in shark infested waters with zero visibility, huge swells and 100+ mile an hour winds)abandons his kid & woman he loves... (the two last people who can give him an ounce of normalcy), drops his sisters body in the ocean (cause that speaks so much about the level of respect he had for her...lets drop her in the same place he disposed of his victims...) all because he's feeling emo about himself and to make it better moves up to the North West/Canada to continue killing people while being an owner of a lumber company / lumberjack? .... fuk that. Lame

Or none of it ever happened and the entire series was the delusion of a mentally ill man living in Washington/Canada... yeah we all saw the glint in his eye at the very end.

^Agreed for the most part, although I felt horrible about the person's death.

Or more so at the moment of her vegetablisation. The actual moment of death was rather anticlimactic - I thought the episode was great up until that scene though. It would have been far more poetic had he actually ended his own life alongside Deb, right there in the hospital room.

The lumberjack epilogue was awful. It felt so empty :/

The death was kinda meh I'll be honest you could see it coming but a tad of a surprise, I just thought it might be different.

+1 thought for sticking it to Elway all throughout the episode. Mind you, how exactly no-one recognizes Hannah after her face has been put out there already through 2 airports, a hotel and a whole bus ride (minus Elway) baffles me just a tad :blink:

I agree with Pretty though, he wears his "death clothing" walks through the hospital basically unnoticed pulls the plug, takes a corpse out to see and dumps it in the ocean! Good brother? Mind you, I still believe he was an idiot to not kill Saxon in the last episode come on Dex! That never works well for you :no: or anyone for that matter :/

Epilogue was a lil creepy/ kind of out of nowhere was it a dream? Memories? I thought at first it was Harrison grown up some how :wacko: 

Former EP Clyde Phillips Reveals How He Planned to End the Series:

"In the very last scene of the series," Philips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.
"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."

Dexter' producers explain finale, defend final season

Before the season started, you said the core idea behind this finale has been in the works for years. What was the original concept?
SARA COLLETON: From the very beginning the paradox was here’s a guy who doesn’t feel he’s a human being, who has to fake it. But in faking it, he’s a better brother, boyfriend, colleague that most real people. People think of him as a monster, but he yearns to be human. We’ve seen him go forward on this journey every year. Now we found out what the final price was. What sums up the entire journey was the scene on balcony of his apartment before going on the boat to put Deb down — that’s horrible to say aloud. The voiceover: “For so long all I wanted was to feel like other people … now that I do just want it to stop.” It’s the horrible awareness of what it was to be a human being and how overwhelming that is for him. His punishment is banishment. He sends himself into exile. Killing himself is too easy. When he turns and looks into the camera at the end he’s stripped everything away.

In a way that’s his new code — avoiding human contact.
BUCK: Yes. For us, that’s the tragedy. The one thing we felt Dexter wanted more than anything was human connections. Even in the first season we see him trying to get with Rudy. Now that he’s finally made that journey and he’s almost poised to have a real human life, he has to give all that up to save Harrison and Hannah.
COLLETON: He went into an absolute shutdown. He no longer has even his voiceover

So yeah he was feeling

emo for himself. :rofl:

Personally I wanted the show ending this way:

That would've been very undexter like but come on :rofl:

Dexter finally had some feels. But come on really? Even if they did make it down to Argentina together then what? Have sex all day while Harrison is out? What's Dexter going to do?

:idk: all these questions unanswered! 

One more just cause:

I'm not surprised some people didn't like the ending. However, what show has a PERFECT ENDING?!  "Six Feet Under" was probably the only show that came the closest, since it showed how all the main characters' lives turned out, and even then there were some unanswered questions. Here are my some of my thoughts' about the ending of "Dexter": Even though Debra's death was not as dramatic as some people thought it should have been, I think they summed it up nice with the final flashback they had when Harrison was born, and when they had that heart to heart about how he made her always feel safe. Anybody who was a fan of the series knew the were always co-dependent on each other, that neither could survive in the read world without each other, and Dexter realized that when she died. Another thing is that when he is on the boat and says "I destroy everything I love", maybe they could have added flashbacks of his dad Harry, Rita, and Debra. That really what have drove the point home. The epilogue was whatever, kinda creepy. Just wanted to show who Dexter wound up, alone and totally detached from the rest of the world. Even though I would have been fine with him dying from the hurricane, I thought the epilogue was fitting, though very unrealistic. I mean, how the hell did he surivive that STORM?!

P.S. Sorry for posting the possible spoilers, but I do not see that option to hide it on the toolbar. If you wanna explain how to, send it to my profile.

• 1 month later...

^^Just write

[spoiler][/spoiler]

between the lines you want to hide. I don't think there is an option on the toolbar? Or I never find it.

Shitty ending. Dump the body in the ocean, how loving is that?

And to answer the questions asked: he certainly used his lifeboat to come back... yeah it is also impossible but that's the only answer because he certainly did not swim his way back home

If they decide to redo the serie in about 2 or 3 years I can bet my right boob

Debra is going to be the Jiminy Cricket on Dexter shoulder instead of their dad

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...
23 hours ago, Limerlight said:

The final was... uhh.

Yes.

I would be excited to see though if they can use that as a springboard and if they can make that good then people might forgive a bit

Hey mate, long time. :hi_wft:

It's weird to think that they might undo the finale, since a lot of what happened in S8 was supposedly predicated on the fact that Showtime told them what they could and couldn't do, for the sole purpose of eventually doing this and bringing the show back.

As much as they failed to stick the landing though, they'd run out of ideas years prior. The show peaked for me with the Trinity arc, which I think I'm right in thinking happened somewhere in the middle.

Hey Michael, yes I know.

Trinity was just. Oh man, they picked the perfect character for Trinity as well, I think you would be hard pressed to say there was a better saga as a whole then that, I completely agree.

The ending of the ending is what really annoyed me, it was a neat idea, it had some room to grow, and yet no. I wish that would've been a mid-season plot twist instead.

It's interesting that in many cases, people's feelings about the way things ended seems to have diminished the earlier episodes for them too. I haven't watched the show for a very long time, but I would still expect the first four seasons and particularly S4 to stand up pretty well.

I must confess though, I mostly agree with the hate on S8 and the myriad of criticisms about 5-7, although it's good that the original showrunner is being given another shot at the character. I'm hoping for some growth or change to make it compelling.

• 2 months later...

A very short teaser for the ninth season just appeared, although perhaps understandably they're not giving much away as yet. The apparent addition of Jamie Chung as a true-crime podcaster could be an interesting wrinkle, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...