Bellazon

Red Dead (series)

Enrico_sw

On 11/16/2018 at 6:25 PM, Enrico_sw said:

The characters are great and their interpretation by the voice actors is really a fine piece of work.

BTW, I had never really heard the Western slang before (at least in English; when I was younger I only watched dubbed Western movies - all movies that we see on TV are dubbed in French here, otherwise a lot of people wouldn't watch them). Anyway, I find the Western slang very interesting, like when they call themselves "partner" or "feller", or how they don't really do the subject/ verb Agreement ("you was there", etc.)

Western speaking styles can be attributed to poor schooling and grammar typical of the 19th century west.

I finished the whole story.  It's easily in the top 10 game stories for me and maybe in the top 5.   The main character of Arthur is one of the most compelling in gaming- ever.  Dutch gets difficult to watch past the half-way point in the story as he changes.  John Marston and Abigail are more like arch-typical characters.  John being the anti-hero and Abigail being a endlessly complaining, modern woman in disguise.

On 11/20/2018 at 4:30 PM, Cult Icon said:

Western speaking styles can be attributed to poor schooling and grammar typical of the 19th century west.

I like this style. It's raw and direct. No bullshit, they just say what they want and it comes out as it comes out.

I finished the whole story.  It's easily in the top 10 game stories for me and maybe in the top 5.   The main character of Arthur is one of the most compelling in gaming- ever.

Yes, Arthur is a really charismatic character. And yes, definitely one of the best characters in gaming. The creators did a really good job with this guy, but I think it also has to do with his voice actor.

Dutch gets difficult to watch past the half-way point in the story as he changes.

Dutch is interesting. He's quite the charismatic guy at first. Then... it's another story. But the evolution is quite interesting as well. Have you seen him in Red Dead Redemption 1? He's quite the crazy guy there.

On 11/23/2018 at 7:03 PM, Enrico_sw said:

I like this style. It's raw and direct. No bullshit, they just say what they want and it comes out as it comes out.

Yes, Arthur is a really charismatic character. And yes, definitely one of the best characters in gaming. The creators did a really good job with this guy, but I think it also has to do with his voice actor.

Dutch is interesting. He's quite the charismatic guy at first. Then... it's another story. But the evolution is quite interesting as well. Have you seen him in Red Dead Redemption 1? He's quite the crazy guy there.

I re-watched Dutch's scenes from RDR1.  They're very short- only 10 minutes long.  He has a new gang of disinfected natives.  From what I gather is that Dutch had lofty ideals and then gradually lost these ideals.  John Marston, later on says that the ideals were just an excuse and his/their real selves emerged.   So later on Dutch and the gang members become less of a pseudo-community with law/codes and more of a gang of unprincipled thieves.  The women die and/or leave.

I think a lost opportunity is the lack of romantic options for Arthur.  It would have made the impact of the character greater. It seems unrealistic to me that a criminal like Arthur would behave such a "gentlemanly" way . 

You have two female characters that do like him and make open advances : 1. Mary 2. the Widow.  And others that just like him:  1. Sadie (she likes him the most out of the whole gang) 2. Mary-Beth 3. Karen

+ A bit of a contemporary trope being inserted here on the character of Abigail.  She controls the relationship and spends nearly all of the game demanding things from Jack.  Also, their child is possibly not even his, as she had sex with all the male outlaws in the camp.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 6:10 PM, VS19 said:

Finally got Red Dead Redemption II installed on the XBox One and did the first couple of introductory missions.  Very impressed with it so far.  Very much looking forward to delving into it a bit more over the next few days.

You'll have a lot of fun! This game is awesome. The level of detail they put in the storyline and the universe is exceptional.