Bellazon

Red Dead (series)

Enrico_sw

RDRe.thumb.jpg.eafc0254e011765a1082f5e163ed2080.jpgRDR.thumb.jpg.a605cbeae414700056d90decc6be6e35.jpgRDR2.thumb.jpg.0389ce220944344fc66d6281e3cc0034.jpg

Red Dead is a series of Western-themed action-adventure video games developed by Rockstar San Diego and Rockstar Studios, and published by Rockstar Games.

- The first game, titled Red Dead Revolver, was originally released for PlayStation 2 and Xbox in May 2004, based on an earlier Capcom project that was scrapped in 2002.

- The second game, Red Dead Redemption, was released for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in May 2010 to wide critical acclaim, and is considered one of the best video games of all time.

- The third entry in the series, Red Dead Redemption 2 (which is a prequel of Red Dead Redemption), was released for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on October 26, 2018.

@Enrico_sw  I looked at some more stuff and the voice acting, writing, and settings are terrific (19 hours cut-scenes for the main story), particularly if one enjoys stories about outlaws.  It also segues  neatly into the events of Red Dead Redemption 1.  It definitely seems like one of the best games ever, and is already one of the best reviewed games ever.

^ Yes, it's unbelievable. It's true that they've done a really great job with the voice acting. The way people talk sounds genuine. I like the soundtrack as well, but it seems that they have a very light usage of music (opening the option menu doesn't trigger any music and usually the game rarely emplys music. It seems that they wanted to make place to the silence, maybe to render a senstation of a "vast world".

The greatest features of RDR2 are:
- the "responsive" world: it's crazy how real it seems. The interactions with people and the random events don't seem to be from a game, they seem to be real.

- the characters: all great.

- the horse: it has a real character (and it is a real character). It's well animated: you can trip on a rock, it can fall, it moves its tail, it craps, etc.

- the scenario: great work

- side stories: awesome.

What they could've done better:

- the weapons: it's an outlaw game where you shoot. When you shoot, you expect to have a decent variety of weapons, but that's not the case (they have 3 revolvers). But then again, it's a drawback of many games. They should think about it: having "goals" for improving stuff (weapons, abilities, etc.) helps people to get more into the games

- it's a bit long sometimes

On 11/3/2018 at 7:49 AM, Enrico_sw said:

The greatest features of RDR2 are:
- the "responsive" world: it's crazy how real it seems. The interactions with people and the random events don't seem to be from a game, they seem to be real.

- the characters: all great.

- the horse: it has a real character (and it is a real character). It's well animated: you can trip on a rock, it can fall, it moves its tail, it craps, etc.

- the scenario: great work

- side stories: awesome.

What they could've done better:

- the weapons: it's an outlaw game where you shoot. When you shoot, you expect to have a decent variety of weapons, but that's not the case (they have 3 revolvers). But then again, it's a drawback of many games. They should think about it: having "goals" for improving stuff (weapons, abilities, etc.) helps people to get more into the games

- it's a bit long sometimes

I've gotten myself a bit more acquainted with the game and overall I'm tempered a bit.  The artwork, animation, and production values is top notch along with the huge size of the map (a youtuber showed that it takes 25 minutes plus to go from end to end on horseback).

It seems to be very long and to be a very big game.  It's generally either good or very good all around. with the main quest and the side stories.  However, as far as open world goes the Witcher 3 has it beaten all around.

The gameplay looks decent and breaks new ground on some levels however it doesn't look to be the type that is really deep and interesting for the long haul.  The enemies are all of one type so there is aspect of repetitiveness.  For this reason so far it seems like the game is pretty reliant on side stories and stories to provide structure so the organic/ randomness aspect isn't as strong as it first seems.  

With the main story's cutscenes being 19 hours long, plus gameplay it is much more than that.  I heard that the main's game story is 60 hours long per advertised by Rockstar.

12 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

The gameplay looks decent and breaks new ground on some levels however it doesn't look to be the type that is really deep and interesting for the long haul.  The enemies are all of one type so there is aspect of repetitiveness.  For this reason so far it seems like the game is pretty reliant on side stories and stories to provide structure so the organic/ randomness aspect isn't as strong as it first seems.

Yes, the IA of the enemies is pretty dull. The main technical prowess is the world itself, and this is really a revolution (I don't remember having played such a detailed game), but the game is still not fully perfect.

Let's say it's not that easy to be perfect! It's too bad that they didn't work enough on the weapons and abilities thing, it would've costed nothing to them, but it would've made the game more solid.

I'm halfway through the story and I enjoy it very much.  The progression of the character of Dutch (degeneration) and Arthur (redemption) is particularly subtle and interesting.

The story has many inspirations from the Western genre and is kind of a masterclass in the subject.  A core inspiration is the Jessie James gang

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_James

On 11/16/2018 at 12:19 AM, Cult Icon said:

I'm halfway through the story and I enjoy it very much.  The progression of the character of Dutch (degeneration) and Arthur (redemption) is particularly subtle and interesting. 

The story has many inspirations from the Western genre and is kind of a masterclass in the subject.  A core inspiration is the Jessie James gang

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_James

The characters are great and their interpretation by the voice actors is really a fine piece of work.

BTW, I had never really heard the Western slang before (at least in English; when I was younger I only watched dubbed Western movies - all movies that we see on TV are dubbed in French here, otherwise a lot of people wouldn't watch them). Anyway, I find the Western slang very interesting, like when they call themselves "partner" or "feller", or how they don't really do the subject/ verb Agreement ("you was there", etc.)