Bellazon

Dakota Fanning
Thumbnail

midnight lady

untitledoe4.png youngolsens2li2.jpg dakotafanningxa5.jpg

Fanning was born in Conyers, Georgia, to Steven Fanning (a former baseball player who now works as an electronics salesman in Los Angeles) and Joy Fanning, who played tennis professionally. Her mother had wanted to name her "Hannah" and her father wanted to name her "Dakota"; she has always used Dakota among her friends and family. She has a sister, Elle, who is now also an actress. Fanning is of half German descent, and her last name is of Irish origin. She is a Baptist, having grown up in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Fanning began acting at the age of five, after appearing with legendary musician Ray Charles in a television commercial for the Georgia State Lottery and being chosen for a Tide commercial. Her first significant acting job was a guest-starring role in the NBC prime-time drama, ER, which remains one of her favorite roles ("I played a car accident victim who has leukemia. I got to wear a neck brace and nose tubes for the two days I worked.)

Fanning subsequently had several guest roles on established television series, including CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Friends, The Practice, Spin City and Malcolm in the Middle. She also portrayed the title characters of Ally McBeal and The Ellen Show as young girls. In 2001, Fanning was chosen to star opposite Sean Penn in I Am Sam, the story of a mentally impaired man who fights for the custody of his daughter (played by Fanning). This role made Fanning the youngest person (in 2002, at age eight) ever to be nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award, for her supporting performance. When she won the Best Young Actor/Actress award from the Broadcast Film Critics Association for the film, she was too short to reach the microphone; presenter Orlando Bloom held her up for the duration of her acceptance speech (which turned out to be quite long).

Trivia

Learned to read at age 2.

At the age of 8, she became the youngest person to be nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award, for her supporting performance in I Am Sam (2001).

When she received the Best Young Actor/Actress award from the Broadcast Film Critics Association for her performance in I Am Sam (2001), she was too short to reach the microphone to give her acceptance speech. Presenter Orlando Bloom held her up to the mike for the duration of her speech, which turned out to be quite long.

She began her acting career at 5 when she was picked for a Tide commercial

Older sister of Elle Fanning.

Her father named her Dakota, her mother named her Hannah. She then was named Hannah Dakota Fanning.

Dakota is one of 14 grandchildren.

Parents: Joy and Steve Fanning.

Her favourite films include Gone with the Wind (1939), Titanic (1997) and Steel Magnolias (1989).

Collects dolls.

Home-schooled.

Looks up to Meryl Streep and Hilary Swank, "not just because they're great actresses, but because they are amazing people".

Her last name, "Fanning" is of Irish origin, and she is also of half German descent

She donated many signed items to Rocky Stone to be given away as prizes in a Dakota Fanning Contest to benefit less fortunate kids as part of the Toy Mountain Campaign 2005 and Toy Mountain Campaign 2006.

First time she visited England was on the 19th June 2005 with Tom Cruise, to attend the premiere of War of the Worlds (2005) at London's Leicester Square.

Loves to knit & has knitted scarfs for Tom Cruise, Robert De Niro and Denzel Washington

For the 'sad' scenes in I Am Sam (2001), she thought of her pet goldfish, Flounder, dying.

Carries a book of baby names with her wherever she goes.

Has been to Mexico, New Zeland, Japan, Australia, England and France

Is a member of the Red Cross

On her eleventh birthday, Tom Cruise gave her a cell phone

Is friends with Daveigh Chase

She can play the violin.

She knitted scarves for Steven Spielberg and Tim Robbins.

Was listed as a potential nominee on the 2004 Razzie Award nominating ballot. She was suggested in the Worst Supporting Actress category for her role in The Cat in the Hat (2003). She was also suggested in the Worst Screen Couple couple category with co-star Spencer Breslin in the The Cat in the Hat (2003). She failed to receive either nomination.

Is a member of the Girl Scouts USA, and her sister Elle Fanning is a Brownie.

Is learning to speak French. She also learned to speak some Spanish for her role in Man on Fire (2004).

Missed the premiere of Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005) (V) to go to Mexico whilst her sister (Elle Fanning) filmed Babel (2006).

Skipped kindergarten and went straight to first grade at the age of 4.

Learned how to ride a race horse for Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005).

After filming of Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005) wrapped, Kurt Russell gave her a horse named Goldie.

During the shoot of War of the Worlds (2005), Tom Cruise gave her an iPod loaded with thousands of songs.

Is now a Girl Scout [Oct. 2005].

After filming _Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005), Kurt Russell, who plays her father, bought her a palomino horse, whom she named Goldie. Goldie lives on a ranch near Dakota's home where she can visit him often.

Tutor is Jan Cerwonka.

Her scene in Nine Lives (2005) was done in one take. She got to work on the movie only for one day.

She has said she would love to be a director.

Robert De Niro gave a doll that looked like Dakota's character in Hide and Seek (2005), with the brown hair and blue eyes- on her 10th birthday.

Plays the piano, knits, collects dolls, ride horses and dances ballet.

Niece of Jill Arrington.

Invited to join AMPAS in 2006.

Was ranked #9 in E's 50 cutest child stars all grown-up even if she still is a child.(2005)

Was ranked #9 in E's most cutest child stars all grown-up even if she still is a child.(2005)

Has been in three productions with her sister Elle Fanning, yet they have never shared scenes. Elle played the younger version of Dakota's characters in I Am Sam (2001) and "Taken" (2002/I) (mini), and the two girls voiced sisters in a dub for Tonari no Totoro (1988).

Whilst she was filming Man on Fire (2004) in Mexico, her sister Elle Fanning was filming The Door in the Floor (2004), so their parents had to go to and from their daughters' destinations.

Her first word was "Momo," which was the family cat's name.

Here's also the list of the films that she plays:

-Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005) .... Cale Crane

-Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005) (V) .... Lilo

-War of the Worlds (2005) .... Rachel Ferrier

-Hide and Seek (2005) .... Emily Callaway

-Nine Lives (2005) .... Maria

-Justice League"

... aka JL (USA: promotional abbreviation)

... aka Justice League Unlimited (USA: new title)

- Kid Stuff (2004) TV Episode (voice) .... Young Wonder Woman

-Man on Fire (2004) .... Pita

-Friends"

- The One with Princess Consuela (2004) TV Episode .... Mackenzie

-Kim Possible: A Sitch in Time (2003) (TV) (voice) .... Preschool Kim

... aka Disney's Kim Possible: A Sitch in Time (USA: complete title)

-The Cat in the Hat (2003) .... Sally

... aka Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat (USA: complete title)

-Uptown Girls (2003) .... Lorraine "Ray" Schleine

-Taken" (2002/I) (mini) TV Series .... Allison Clarke

... aka Steven Spielberg Presents Taken (USA: complete title)

-Hansel & Gretel (2002) .... Katie

-Trapped (2002) .... Abigail Jennings

... aka 24 Stunden Angst (Germany)

-Sweet Home Alabama (2002) .... Young Melanie

-I Am Sam (2001) .... Lucy Diamond Dawson

-"The Ellen Show"

- Missing the Bus (2001) TV Episode .... Young Ellen

-"Family Guy"

... aka Padre de familia (USA: Spanish title)

- To Live and Die in Dixie (2001) TV Episode (voice) .... Little Girl

-Tomcats (2001) .... Little Girl in Park

-"The Fighting Fitzgeralds"

- Pilot (2001) TV Episode .... Marie

-"Malcolm in the Middle"

- New Neighbors (2001) TV Episode .... Emily

-Father Xmas (2001) .... Clairee

-"Spin City"

- Toy Story (2000) TV Episode .... Cindy

-"The Practice"

- The Deal (2000) TV Episode .... Alessa Engel

-"CSI: Crime Scene Investigation"

... aka C.S.I. (USA: short title)

... aka CSI: Las Vegas (USA: syndication title)

... aka CSI: Weekends (USA: promotional title)

... aka Experts, Les (Canada: French title)

- Blood Drops (2000) TV Episode .... Brenda Collins

-"Strong Medicine"

- Misconceptions (2000) TV Episode .... Edie's Girl

-"Ally McBeal"

- Ally McBeal: The Musical, Almost (2000) TV Episode .... 5 Year Old Ally

-"ER"

- The Fastest Year (2000) TV Episode .... Delia Chadsey

-Tonari no Totoro (1988) (voice: English version) .... Satsuki (2005 Disney version)

... aka My Neighbor Totoro