Bellazon

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Enrico_sw

Solo A Star Wars Story.jpg

746516987_SoloAStarWarsStory2.thumb.jpg.6b4979a36c197aca802c07d1d8d22dab.jpg1777186392_SoloAStarWarsStory3.thumb.jpg.473c6335310abb9e7ac1e49e57a837b3.jpg411686635_SoloAStarWarsStory4.thumb.jpg.377405bf2fdbeef0ceab43945df40149.jpg394424590_SoloAStarWarsStory5.thumb.jpg.24b28095f384443a47c481df9d0130ce.jpg

Solo: A Star Wars Story (or simply Solo) is a 2018 American space Western film based on the Star Wars character Han Solo. Directed by Ron Howard, produced by Lucasfilm and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, it is the second Star Wars anthology film following Rogue One (2016). Alden Ehrenreich stars as Han Solo alongside Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Joonas Suotamo, and Paul Bettany. The plot takes place approximately ten years prior to the events of A New Hope, and explores the early adventures of Han Solo and Chewbacca, who join a heist within the criminal underworld.

This movie actually needs justice. It's a great movie, but I think that many people didn't go and see it, because "SJW ep. 8" was really bad (bad characters, flawed scenario, political bs, etc.). This is a shame, and, in the end, the box office results of "SJW ep. 8" are overrated, while Solo's results are really underrated.

• Enrico_sw changed the title to Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

I did wonder if they began writing a script with the goal of fulfilling certain plot requirements, or whether they started with those fragments and then made something of a hash of building a story around it. Either way, it was a good idea to get Ron Howard on board and bring some cohesion to the randomness. Overall, I thought the end product was quite entertaining. The sets, costumes and environment all felt very Star Wars. The story was fun and fast-moving.

At the risk of being burned alive by fire breathing dragons though, I really don't rate Emilia Clarke. She's either being routinely miscast or she's just not a very good actress.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 7:20 PM, Michael* said:

I did wonder if they began writing a script with the goal of fulfilling certain plot requirements, or whether they started with those fragments and then made something of a hash of building a story around it. Either way, it was a good idea to get Ron Howard on board and bring some cohesion to the randomness. Overall, I thought the end product was quite entertaining. The sets, costumes and environment all felt very Star Wars. The story was fun and fast-moving.

Yep, I agree. What's terrible is that many people didn't give this movie a shot, because of how poor and flawed the "last jedi" was. They canceled other spin offs because of the Solo's lack of success, but they didn't understand that the "last jedi" caused Solo to be underrated.

On 10/23/2018 at 7:20 PM, Michael* said:

At the risk of being burned alive by fire breathing dragons though, I really don't rate Emilia Clarke. She's either being routinely miscast or she's just not a very good actress.

That's certainly a risk. :laugh:

I think she's pretty good at being duplicitous in this movie, she plays it quite well IMHO. She embodies a kind of naive beauty at the beginning which then matures into a cunning strategist.

On 11/3/2018 at 6:57 PM, Enrico_sw said:

Yep, I agree. What's terrible is that many people didn't give this movie a shot, because of how poor and flawed the "last jedi" was. They canceled other spin offs because of the Solo's lack of success, but they didn't understand that the "last jedi" caused Solo to be underrated.

As pleasantly surprised as I was by the movie, I must confess that none of the promotional materials had gotten me excited beforehand. I think if the trailers had been decent, hardcore fans would still have showed up to see it, despite the mixed reception for Last Jedi. For me, the hype for this was hampered because we kind of already knew where Han, Chewie and Lando would end up and had already heard the references to all the beats. Compare that to something like Rogue One, where we knew the story arc but had no idea about any of the characters, this seemed about as obvious and straightforward as a launching point for a character can be.