Bellazon

Joker (2019)

Cult Icon

3 minutes ago, Michael* said:

It looks like it could go a step further than Nolan's very grounded take on the material by removing the superhero subtext altogether. There's no Batman, the Joker isn't a 'super' villain and the real bad guys aren't crazy people but apathy, poverty and greed.

That may be the case however they can show the origins of the Joker without any of the superhero or supernatural stuff.

Batman is "technically" there- as a child Bruce Wayne.  Alfred is in it, and so is Thomas Wayne:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286456/

I think there is definitely some Nolan/Ledger influence in it as it's about the the transformation into the Joker, but seems to shy away from the Joker reaching higher levels of evil and recruiting his own gang- that may be up to a sequel or the film could be a spiritual prequel to TDK

heathjoker-blogroll-1531863270321_1280w.

Yeah, the potential of the 'young Bruce Wayne' angle certainly makes the timeline a bit harder to figure out, but it should be fun to see unfold.

Just the tone of it hit me in the best way possible, Phoenix truly does make it feel like something horrific awakening. His physical transformation is remarkable too, he was a hulk of a man in You Were Never Really Here but looks to have gone semi-Machinist for this.

The trailer does a great job in generating hype as MYSTERY is written all over it.  In the trailer, Thomas Wayne is the man denouncing the "masked man" on TV and Bruce Wayne is the child getting his face touched by the Joker.  Yeah Phoenix got anorexic for the role, jeez...

The Joker reminds me of Sander Cohen! :

I was already interested in this before the trailer, but now this is one of the must-see films of the year.  Joaquin Phoenix's performace looks like it's going to be a good one, and the influence of Martin Scorcese, from his time working on the film with Todd Phillips, is evident in every frame of the trailer.  Can't wait for this one.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:22 PM, Cult Icon said:

The Joker reminds me of Sander Cohen! :

It's funny, I haven't thought about Jack Nicholson's version of the character for ages and would never have noticed the similarity on my own, but the Sander Cohen comparison took me back to a rather grim subplot from Batman '92, where the Joker attempts to make his own clown-faced henchwoman using methods very reminiscent of Cohen in Bioshock. I'd imagine that this version will resemble Cohen's character too, in that you don't like him but can’t help the intriguing factor he brings.

On 4/4/2019 at 6:08 PM, Michael* said:

It's funny, I haven't thought about Jack Nicholson's version of the character for ages and would never have noticed the similarity on my own, but the Sander Cohen comparison took me back to a rather grim subplot from Batman '92, where the Joker attempts to make his own clown-faced henchwoman using methods very reminiscent of Cohen in Bioshock. I'd imagine that this version will resemble Cohen's character too, in that you don't like him but can’t help the intriguing factor he brings.

I figured as much (Sander cohen being influenced by the Joker or other sources).  I like the concept of a madman using real life as his own personal theater.

Given how good JP was in "the Master" I am intrigued by his turn in the joker.

JP also played Jesus Christ this year:

On 4/9/2019 at 4:38 PM, Cult Icon said:

Given how good JP was in "the Master" I am intrigued by his turn in the joker.

JP also played Jesus Christ this year:

I'm certain he'll be great as the lead, although it's a little weird, what with the whole project basically coming about because Phoenix said he wanted to do a low-budget character study of a comic book villain, that he apparently wasn't the studio's first choice to star in it. If the reports are to be believed, we almost ended up with Leonardo DiCaprio instead. :laugh:

I had that down as another fascinating role for Phoenix (particularly starring opposite Rooney Mara), but although I couldn't fault the acting, the end product felt weirdly low key, maybe even a bit anti-climactic. Shame really.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:52 AM, Michael* said:

I had that down as another fascinating role for Phoenix (particularly starring opposite Rooney Mara), but although I couldn't fault the acting, the end product felt weirdly low key, maybe even a bit anti-climactic. Shame really.

for me, Jim Caviezel  

is the most "christ-like" actor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just saw the three leaked clips- two with De Niro & Phoenix.  Read the movie leaks- which make sense. Pretty hardcore and disturbing!  Oct can't come soon enough!

Spoiler

There are some references to the "Killing Joke" and "Dark Knight Returns".

• 4 weeks later...