Bellazon

Joker (2019)

Cult Icon

Joker is an upcoming American crime film based on the DC Comics character of the same name, distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. The film is directed by Todd Phillips and stars Joaquin Phoenix, Zazie Beetz, Robert De Niro, Frances Conroy, Marc Maron, and Bryan Callen. The project was announced in August 2017, with Todd Phillips directing and co-writing with Scott Silver. It is the first film in a series of DC films separate from the DC Extended Universe. Principal photography began in September 2018. Joker is scheduled to be released on October 4, 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_(upcoming_film)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Phoenix is probably the only actor out there that I'd trust to do the character justice at this point, albeit being directed by a guy who isn't exactly fresh from Cannes. If it opts to be more of a psychological thriller, showing the Joker’s descent into madness in more of a bracing way, perhaps ending with the emergence of Batman giving him a twisted new sense of purpose, this could be a really interesting project.

On 10/23/2018 at 1:34 PM, Michael* said:

Phoenix is probably the only actor out there that I'd trust to do the character justice at this point, albeit being directed by a guy who isn't exactly fresh from Cannes. If it opts to be more of a psychological thriller, showing the Joker’s descent into madness in more of a bracing way, perhaps ending with the emergence of Batman giving him a twisted new sense of purpose, this could be a really interesting project.

could it be related to "Batman: The Killing Joke"?

On 10/28/2018 at 6:12 AM, Cult Icon said:

could it be related to "Batman: The Killing Joke"?

I would definitely expect it to borrow some of the emotional tones and plot points of Killing Joke, although I guess we'll have to see how they choose to weave the 'young Bruce Wayne' angle into the narrative. It’s a piece of casting that the fans will have fun debating, I'm sure, but I hope it doesn't pull the focus too much.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:38 PM, Michael* said:

I would definitely expect it to borrow some of the emotional tones and plot points of Killing Joke, although I guess we'll have to see how they choose to weave the 'young Bruce Wayne' angle into the narrative. It’s a piece of casting that the fans will have fun debating, I'm sure, but I hope it doesn't pull the focus too much.

He did a great job in "the Master" (playing an unhinged man with complexity)

On 11/5/2018 at 8:04 AM, Cult Icon said:

He did a great job in "the Master" (playing an unhinged man with complexity)

Oh, most definitely. With Phoenix to help solidify the Joker's origins, divorced from the other DC universe movies, and using a particular cinematic style, there's a chance this could turn out to be really refreshing. For what it's worth, I'm pulling for them to get it right. :hehe:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Looking at the newly-released publicity stills of Arthur, it would definitely appear that they're leaning into the aesthetic laid down by the Killing Joke's flashback sequences.

I must confess, I'm quite partial to not knowing what the character's origins are, but with that said, I also don't mind the idea of his story changing repeatedly, making it even harder to know what his true background is.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like it could go a step further than Nolan's very grounded take on the material by removing the superhero subtext altogether. There's no Batman, the Joker isn't a 'super' villain and the real bad guys aren't crazy people but apathy, poverty and greed.

It's going to be pitched outside the norms of what we've come to expect from the comic book realm, that's for sure. Ultimately, it might not work, but I do like what I've seen so far.