Bellazon

General Discussion

Clauds

2 minutes ago, HitchcockBlonde said:

Mongolians (I think you mean Moors, the Muslims who inhabited the Iberian penninsula here but I don't want to speak for you) and Roma people are entirely separate and marginalised ethnicities and I've never heard of them being conflated with white Hungarians/Portuguese people. Without being able to explicitly tie them to either group (ie Sara explicitly stating she has Moorish roots or Barbara claiming Roma descent) Barbara is white and Sara is white, but thank you! ☺️

Hungarians are typically considered to be of Nomadic Steppe descent or Romani descent as the diaspora that is Romani has a fairly large concentration within Hungary. I never said she wasn't white, but some people don't consider Mongolians or Romani to be Caucasian.

As for Sara Sampaio she is Portugese, take that however you want, but if you're going to equate her to being white you might as well group anyone who has "pale" skin as white as well considering large swathes of the South American continent especially through Brazil and Venezuela have intermingled with many of European descent especially following WWII.

1 hour ago, phenobarbie said:

Hungarians are typically considered to be of Nomadic Steppe descent or Romani descent as the diaspora that is Romani has a fairly large concentration within Hungary. I never said she wasn't white, but some people don't consider Mongolians or Romani to be Caucasian.

As for Sara Sampaio she is Portugese, take that however you want, but if you're going to equate her to being white you might as well group anyone who has "pale" skin as white as well considering large swathes of the South American continent especially through Brazil and Venezuela have intermingled with many of European descent especially following WWII.

Hey so this will be my last reply so we don't keep going OT in this thread over something as simple as a limited category like 'white' 😊

My point with the list was seeing how much the VSFS has diversified, in some categories more than others, and the Angels are still mostly white. But Barbara and Sara are white, period.

You got me curious, so I researched it, and it was as I thought. Roma-Hungarians are a distinct group of people (and a minority in Hungary, though a large minority at around 30%!) who face quite a lot of anti ziganism in Hungary. Barbara could definitely have Roma ancestry, as many Hungarians do, but typically it takes quite a bit more than distant to semi distant ancestry to be considered part of an ethnic group. That can get into some nasty things like blood quotas, so I'll stop at, Barbara doesn't identify as Roma, so she isn't, and more than likely is descended from white Europeans in Hungary. Mongolians and Roma people are absolutely non-white, but Barbara likely isn't part of either of those groups.

As for Sara, the white / non white Latinas debate is very real, due to, as you hinted at, colonialism. And there are both, which is why 'Latina' is a very broad, strange category (if you're American, you've probably seen 'white Hispanic' and 'Hispanic' on forms in the past). Gisele is white Brazilian of Germanic descent, while Lais is Afro-Brazilian mixed with some indigenous, I believe, for a prime example. A lot of people believe most Cuban-Americans are white, so perhaps I should move Josie Canseco. But a lot of pale skinned South American people are indigenous-descended, so it's difficult to paint them with such a broad stroke. The point being, descent in South America is different from descent in Europe, and Sara is European. Without having her ancestry.com or 23andme or whatever in front of me, all I can do is take stock of what she's said in the past about her heritage, and what I know about Portugal itself, and that, again, points me to white.

As for another topic so we can move on, what do people think the odds are the Hadids are walking?

3 hours ago, PastaFreak said:

68550a99ly1fv34d1hxx3j22c02wyqv5.jpg

Sui's letter on VS says something 

"To celebrate, we'd love for you to" what "sexy illusions?" what?

Like others have said it says to promote getting ready for the show in the Sexy Illusions bra on instagram, but the letter also tells the models to use the hashtag #TrainLikeAnAngel etc (you can see a little bit of this in the photo of Lorena's letter)