Bellazon

Interesting Youtube personalities

Cult Icon

On 7/7/2020 at 6:05 PM, Michael* said:

Oh that's right, the film was seemingly in limbo for so long, it sort of slipped my mind that it was still meant to be happening. :laugh:

Honestly though, it seems like a bit of a lose-lose to me. Either they make a serviceable action flick that doesn't really capture the spirit, or they do a somewhat faithful adaptation, which I'm fairly sure would be critically panned and probably for good reason. Metal Gear's narratives worked because of Kojima's crazed melodramatic style, and as much as Vogt-Roberts seems like an honest to goodness fan of the series, I think it would be a struggle to replicate that with live action.

It could be cool to have a series that retells the story chronologically, though, and animation could potentially capture the wackier elements of the story better.

I revisited Metal Gear recently just by listening to the soundtrack- just the soundtrack is enough to trigger memories.   Man, I miss this series.  Metal Gear Solid 1 could be easily adapted to a screenplay but it would need to have a moderate budget just to be good.  

I rewatched a bit of the old metal gear and I think that a good film could possibly be made in terms of the characters.  They just have to keep the script tight and hire the right people.  However outside of boss encounters I wonder how they could effectively portray snake being alone and in frequent contact with his intelligence team.

e.g 

Prologue in Outer Haven with the defeat of Grey Fox and Big Boss.  Then the events of Metal Gear Solid.  

Next film in the franchise: Metal Gear Solid 2.  I think that MGS3 would have to be an unrelated spin-off movie and not a direct sequel.

Then a very heavily rewritten script for MGS4, the final film that connects movie 1 , movie 2, and the spin-off together.

MGS5 and MGS6 are unworkable as stories, let alone as screenplays.

Watching Metal Gear stuff again reminds me of how awesome the story of this series was and how there are so few game stories that are anywhere as good.   Only Geralt from Witcher 3 is comparable to the Snakes as main characters.

Metal Gear solid saga, Witcher, Bioshock/Bioshock Infinite are the only ones of that level, although there are many other great stories.

What I've always wanted to see was a grounded rewrite of the Metal Gear Saga, just to see how it would turn out.  Kojima went berserk with his 1,000 zany ideas and didn't edit his story properly.  The story could be Americanized and made more natural & less influenced by Japanese anime conventions.  More lore could be added to right areas and unnecessary lore could be removed.   By this standard the first game was the best written while the later games had an enormous amount of excess and too much crazy.  A more grounded MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 would be interesting to see.

The final confrontation between "Father and son" at the end of MGS4 could be 100% satisfying, profound, and natural, and without any cheesiness and weirdness.