Bellazon

Melissa Joan Hart
Thumbnail

Compassionate_Conservative

Melissa Joan Hart (born April 18, 1976) is an American actress who is best known for playing the title roles in two successful television series, Clarissa Explains It All and Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.

Hart was born in Smithtown, New York, on Long Island, to Paula and William Hart, and grew up in Sayville, New York. Her stepfather (since 1994) is television executive Leslie Gilliams. Hart was named after the Allman Brothers song "Melissa", while her middle name, Joan, came from her maternal grandmother. Hart chose Catherine as her confirmation name when she was in eighth grade, resulting in her full name: Melissa Joan Catherine Hart.

Hart has three sisters, three half-sisters and one brother, all younger than she. The oldest, Trisha Hart, has worked as a producer. Sisters Elizabeth and Emily, brother Brian, and half-sister Alexandra Hart-Gilliams have all acted. Her two youngest half-sisters are not in show business.

Hart's career began early on. When she was still a baby, she made her first television commercial for a bathtub toy called Splashy. From then on, she appeared regularly in commercials, making 25 of them before the age of five. Other early television work included a small role in the miniseries Kane & Abel in 1985, a guest-starring role in an episode of The Equalizer in 1986, and a starring role alongside Katherine Helmond in the Emmy Award-winning TV movie Christmas Snow, also in 1986.

In 1989, she auditioned for a Broadway production of The Crucible starring Martin Sheen, becoming an understudy to three of the young girls in the play. This paved the way for her to land the title role in the TV show Clarissa Explains It All. The Nickelodeon series, a comedy about a teen girl in everyday situations, became a big hit during its four-year run. The show made her a household name among American teenagers and brought her four consecutive Young Artist Award nominations, of which she won three.

Hart also recorded two albums as Clarissa, This is What 'Na Na' Means and a recording of Peter and the Wolf (Sony Classical SK 64079). The former, a rock/pop album in the style of a garage band, was mostly a novelty product and did not receive much attention from critics or the public. The latter album won a Parents' Choice award. [1]

After the television series was canceled, Hart attended New York University. She did not complete her degree, however, since she soon resumed her acting career when she got the lead role for the 1995 TV movie Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. This was followed by the television series of the same name which lasted seven seasons. In between, she also guest-starred on the series Touched by an Angel and starred in several TV movies.

In 1998, Hart landed a small part in the movie Can't Hardly Wait, and then started filming Next to You, starring alongside Adrian Grenier. Hart asked friend Britney Spears to do a remix of her song "(You Drive Me) Crazy" and add it to the movie's soundtrack. To capitalize on the song's success as a top-ten hit, the title of the movie was changed to Drive Me Crazy and Hart appeared in the music video. The movie, however, was only moderately successful. Hart has appeared in several other films, but none of them have received much recognition.

In 2005, Hart directed her first movie, a 15-minute live-action short called Mute, starring her sister Emily. Hart had already gained experience directing several episodes of her Sabrina the Teenage Witch television series.

Hart appeared in lingerie in a series of photos featured in the October 1999 issue of the men's magazine Maxim, as well as in similarly revealing pictorials in Bikini and Movieline magazines around the same time. This caused problems for both Hart and ABC (the network broadcasting Sabrina the Teenage Witch at the time) since the copyright holder of the Sabrina franchise, Archie Comics, regarded the series as a show for children and pre-teens, and believed that the Maxim photos and the accompanying article hurt the show's wholesome image (Hart also discussed her sex life and alluded to a Sabrina drinking game that could be played while watching the show). The chairman and co-publisher of Archie Comics, Michael Silberkleit, demanded that Hart either apologize or be fired from the series. She neither apologized nor was fired.

On July 19, 2003, Hart married musician Mark Wilkerson, a member of the band Course of Nature. The preparations for the ceremony, which took place in Florence, Italy, were documented in a TV miniseries titled Tying the Knot, produced by Hart's production company, Heartbreak Films.

In June 2005, Hart announced that she and her husband were expecting their first child in January 2006. She gave birth to a baby boy, Mason Walter Wilkerson, at 4:19 p.m. on January 11, 2006.

Filmography

Can't Hardly Wait (1998)

Drive Me Crazy (1999)

The Specials (2000)

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000) (voice) (direct-to-video)

Backflash (2001)

Recess: School's Out (2001) (voice)

Not Another Teen Movie (2001)

Rent Control (2002)

Hold On (2002)

Jack Satin (2005)

Jesus, Mary, and Joey (2006)

Official Rejection (2006) (documentary)

[edit]

Television work

The Adventures of Con Sawyer and Hucklemary Finn (1985)

Kane & Abel (1985) (miniseries)

Christmas Snow (1986)

Clarissa Explains It All (1991

post-4615-1159926835_thumb.jpg

post-4615-1159926894_thumb.jpg

post-4615-1159927025_thumb.jpg

post-4615-1159927057_thumb.jpg

post-4615-1159927191_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
i used to watch Sabrina the Teenage Witch all the time when i was a kid :laugh:

me too and "Clarissa Explains it all " :laugh:

pc050004zw2.th.jpg

I never watched "Clarissa Explains It All". I was a bit young, as in like 2. How did you watch it when you're younger than I am? You weren't even born yet when it started airing.

pc050004zw2.th.jpg

I never watched "Clarissa Explains It All". I was a bit young, as in like 2. How did you watch it when you're younger than I am? You weren't even born yet when it started airing.

I just watched the old episodes on Nickelodeon on weekends, when i was 11 or 12

pc050004zw2.th.jpg

I just watched the old episodes on Nickelodeon on weekends, when i was 11 or 12

ooo ok :p

• 2 weeks later...