Bellazon

Taboo (2017--)

Cult Icon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo_(2017_TV_series)

71aBRHYBuwL._SY679_.jpg

Taboo is a British television drama programme produced by Scott Free London and Hardy Son & Baker for BBC One and FX. The show premiered on BBC One in the United Kingdom on 7 January 2017, followed by the United States premiere on FX on 10 January 2017. The programme was renewed for a second series in March 2017.

It was created by Steven Knight, Tom Hardy, and his father, Edward "Chips" Hardy, and is based on a story written by Tom and Chips Hardy. The eight-part series, set in 1814, begins with James Delaney (Tom Hardy) returning to England after twelve years in Africa with fourteen stolen diamonds, following the death of his father and as the war with the United States is nearing its end.

Some of my thoughts on the show:

- Tom Hardy's haircut is not appropriate for the time period- but it makes him stand out.

- I think Lorna Bow may develop in Delany's love interest in Season 2.  It's such an obvious set-up to me.  I really like that actresses' performance- she's excellent and also classically beautiful.

-the whole Voodoo aspect- while it made the show more interesting, it has ultimately lead to nothing.  It seems to be a garnish, rather anything of substance.

-S1 has been very good, but the sole issue is the lack of tension.  We know that it's Hardy's show, and he's going to muscle through all the challenges that are thrown in his way.  In this way his enemies are neutered.   The people that fall on his side aren't developed in a way where their deaths or exits really matter very much.  Hardy is on screen almost half of the time.

-S7 has one of the most devastating little bits that I've ever seen.  "For your widowhood" 

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

It's been 2018 since I last posted.  This show is special to me as Apocalypse Now is my favorite film of all time.

I watched the show again recently- with the further benefit of having read Conrad's Heart of Darkness and found it to be a terrific Act 1 of a dark adventure tale.  In a way James Delany is "Kurtz" if he had survived Africa and returned home, with stolen wealth.  

It is brilliantly written and conceived and has the best acting from Tom Hardy I've ever seen.

Apparently the S2 of the show hasn't been produced yet, and there is no sign in the horizon that S2 will be made.  However TABOO stands on its own in a unique way.

Inspired by all of this, I have loaded Conrad's "Nostromo" audiobook into my phone.