Bellazon

Indiana Jones 5 (2022)

Michael*

So, I think we should kick this topic off with some good news via Entertainment Weekly, who talked to screenwriter David Koepp about his work on Indy 5. Shia LaBeouf’s Mutt Williams will not be returning. :rofl:

“Harrison Ford plays Indiana Jones, that I can certainly say,” Koepp said. “And Shia LaBeouf's character is not in the film.” While not a surprise, the news is certainly welcome. Mutt Williams, who was positioned as a potential successor to Indy in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, never quite felt right as the heir to the Jones legacy. He’s goofy in a way that doesn’t fit, and worse yet, he’s not very interesting. Not to mention it’s hard to even imagine the post-Even Stevens era Shia LaBeouf replaced by the crying-in-a-theater Shia in a series aiming for narrative continuity. Koepp goes on to say that, while it’s unclear when production will start, “we’ve got a script we’re mostly happy with.” It’s all up to director Steven Spielberg and returning star Harrison Ford now.

In all seriousness, although I haven't seen it for a long time, I feel like there were probably worse things in Indy 4 than LaBeouf. He certainly wasn't necessary to the plot, but he didn't irritate me as much as Ray Winstone and John Hurt did. There was a decent dynamic in the first half of the film that was missing in the second, partly because they kept introducing more and more characters, with everyone needing something to do.

• Michael* changed the title to Indiana Jones 5 (2022)

Apologies in advance for the bumping of a rather archaic topic, but with the recent announcement of Mads Mikkelsen joining the cast alongside Phoebe Waller-Bridge and of course Harrison Ford, my feelings on the project have shifted from "no reason to exist" towards the realms of "slightly intrigued."

The choice of James Mangold to replace Steven Spielberg in the director's chair remains an intriguing one too, and a somewhat optimistic one given where the franchise left off.

5 hours ago, Michael* said:

Apologies in advance for the bumping of a rather archaic topic, but with the recent announcement of Mads Mikkelsen joining the cast alongside Phoebe Waller-Bridge and of course Harrison Ford, my feelings on the project have shifted from "no reason to exist" towards the realms of "slightly intrigued."

No need for apologies, particularly when adding new information. Also, "slightly intrigued" is a significant upgrade.

11 hours ago, jkjk said:

No need for apologies, particularly when adding new information. Also, "slightly intrigued" is a significant upgrade.

I couldn't help having a flashback to the more innocent times of "the next Indy movie is going to have Cate Blanchett and John Hurt, and get this, Karen Allen is coming back." :laugh:

I guess they'll be using this thing to "pass the torch," which they probably would have been planning on doing with Shia LaBeouf, but, well, you know.

Mangold has directed some very good stuff in the past. It'll be interesting to see if he can repeat what he pulled off with Logan, a wonderful send-off for a similarly beloved character.

17 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Pass the torch- to who?

I could see Waller-Bridge perhaps as a new tenure-track professor trying to gain respect, with Indiana as the surly old professor who grudgingly gets talked into mentoring her and has one last adventure.

What they'll do with the villians I suppose remains to be seen. In order to keep fighting Nazis, Ford would have to play either 30s-40s Indy which wouldn't be very believable, or a 120-year-old Indy fighting them in the present day. Which might be slightly more believable at this point. :ph34r:

On 4/25/2021 at 12:34 AM, Michael* said:

Mangold has directed some very good stuff in the past. It'll be interesting to see if he can repeat what he pulled off with Logan, a wonderful send-off for a similarly beloved character.

I'm counting on that, otherwise I don't dare to think of the outcome.

6 hours ago, saber said:

I'm counting on that, otherwise I don't dare to think of the outcome.

Yeah, it would seem that the exit of Spielberg raised a few eyebrows at the time, but he didn't exactly bring the old magic to Crystal Skulls so quite honestly I wasn't too put out by it. Now, as long as Lucas isn't involved in the story or scripting process, I'd say there's a chance it could be decent.

Of course, at this point a decent Indy movie would probably also have to deal frankly and directly with Ford's age, but Mangold seems more qualified than most to handle that with care.

On 4/25/2021 at 11:05 AM, Michael* said:

I could see Waller-Bridge perhaps as a new tenure-track professor trying to gain respect, with Indiana as the surly old professor who grudgingly gets talked into mentoring her and has one last adventure.

What they'll do with the villians I suppose remains to be seen. In order to keep fighting Nazis, Ford would have to play either 30s-40s Indy which wouldn't be very believable, or a 120-year-old Indy fighting them in the present day. Which might be slightly more believable at this point. :ph34r:

I've never seen her act but she would be the ugliest protagonist I've seen in a while!

They'd be fighting the communists just like James Bond no? 😄

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

At least a portion of the film will be set in World War 2.  There are swastikas and German military equipment.

Yeah, putting two and two together from looking at the recent on-set photos, it would appear that the film will be utilising de-ageing technology to make Ford look younger in some of the scenes. Not a huge fan of that personally, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

6 hours ago, Michael* said:

Yeah, putting two and two together from looking at the recent on-set photos, it would appear that the film will be utilising de-ageing technology to make Ford look younger in some of the scenes. Not a huge fan of that personally, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

The problem is that Ford talks like a really old man....!  Then it will have to be matched with a young CGI face who talks like an old man..  I guess they'll have to mess around with the audio to make him young too.