Bellazon

Fallout (series)

Enrico_sw

fallout.thumb.png.f4f2fd5e4598e166a323961ef3ad0c31.png

Fallout! I mean Fallout 1, 2, 3, New vegas, 4, the spin-offs (Tactics, Shelter) and maybe more!

They are more than games, they are an universe, with a special music, special ambiance and a "PIP boy"!

Please share your opinions on these games, their music or their universe.

It seems that these games are very addictive for some people :rofl:

"A man is suing Bethesda after 'losing wife and job to Fallout 4 addiction"

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/man-suing-bethesda-after-losing-wife-and-job-to-fallout-4-addiction-a6783251.html

I don't know if it's really true, but if it is, it's really funny

• Enrico_sw changed the title to Fallout (series)

I never played fallout but I watched walkthroughs for FO3, 4, and NV.  

I liked FO3 and its expansions the most.  NV, especially the western stuff, was interesting.  I didn't like the expansions, couldn't watch them.

FO4 was kind of underwhelming.  It had a lot of potential but it seemed to not have hit the mark.  Still decent, though.  I never watched the expansions.

11 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

FO4 was kind of underwhelming.  It had a lot of potential but it seemed to not have hit the mark.  Still decent, though.  I never watched the expansions.

Fallout 4 has many good points:

- the graphics are great

- the main story is alright (though they could have added more complexity) and the side missions are not bad as well

- the main characters (and sidekicks) are pretty good and their personalities are well made (complex and interesting)!

- the music is good

But it also has big bad points:

- the dialog system is... underdevelopped. Before this game, it was complex and refined. Now it's...a bit dumb. D'oh!

- apart from the main charcters (and sidekicks), the other ones are way too simple.

- the weapons are crap (too few, too simple graphics). Given the previous Fallouts (which were all great on this), it's hard to understand. It's like they willingly screwed up this part for some unknown reasons (?). They have a weapon crafting system (which is good) but it doesn't make up for this.

- some of the cities are good but they didn't put enough effort in it. Diamond city and goodneighbor are good. But for the rest, something is lacking...

- I said that the missions are not bad, but... they are much too simple in terms of storyline

Let's hope Fallout 5 will have the good points of 4 and correct their mistakes!

Been working may way through Fallout 4 here recently.  Getting close to what I understand is the end of the main story, although I must admit that I'm not very good at the RPG side of such games, so I'm finding my character no particularly well equipped to handle some of these final missions.  Might end up starting over and focusing more on crafting, correctly leveling-up my character, and other minor details that might make for a better main character.

On 8/12/2017 at 0:31 PM, Enrico_sw said:

Fallout 4 has many good points:

- the graphics are great

- the main story is alright (though they could have added more complexity) and the side missions are not bad as well

- the main characters (and sidekicks) are pretty good and their personalities are well made (complex and interesting)!

- the music is good

Let's hope Fallout 5 will have the good points of 4 and correct their mistakes!

It seemed to me that FO4 did not have enough development time.  It felt 70% completed in a way.   There was also not enough density of objects and people.

I liked the dog though..and the suit was quite interesting.

I have heard that FO2 has the best story.

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

It seemed to me that FO4 did not have enough development time.  It felt 70% completed in a way.   There was also not enough density of objects and people.

Yes, that's probable. They get a lot of pressure to finish these games (and development time needed is longer than what it used to be)

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

I have heard that FO2 has the best story.

Yes, it has! Fallout 2 is a great game (a bit old now, but still a great game). The main drawback (seen from today) is that it was slow (you couldn't roam the world freely, but this is because it was with old computers).

3 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Yes, that's probable. They get a lot of pressure to finish these games (and development time needed is longer than what it used to be)

Yes, it has! Fallout 2 is a great game (a bit old now, but still a great game). The main drawback (seen from today) is that it was slow (you couldn't roam the world freely, but this is because it was with old computers).

What sticks out for me in FO3 was the beginning.  Also, the underground lab (that sends you into this black/white matrix).  The town with cannibals.  

There is also one where there are two superheroes fighting each other in the town.  The ending was good too.

Another good post-apocalyptic game was the Russian game in the moscow sewers.  I forgot the name of it.  

^ Metro last light was an example of a game where the first person feeling is very well made. When you're outside, you have a gas mask, with the feeling of having one (it gets rain drops, condensation, etc.). The weapon design is very good. And the ambiance is very realistic. The main drawback is that it had a short lifespan.

Metro last light.jpg

11 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

^ Metro last light was an example of a game where the first person feeling is very well made. When you're outside, you have a gas mask, with the feeling of having one (it gets rain drops, condensation, etc.). The weapon design is very good. And the ambiance is very realistic. The main drawback is that it had a short lifespan.

Metro last light.jpg

I agree.  Overall the single player and expansions were excellent watches, highly dense.  I especially liked the russian village inside of the metro, complete with the theater.  The designs were very creative, along with the vision of how the future society would look like.  

But the game itself was very short compared to Fallout.  Fallout is a lot less dense.  

I liked the tower in FO3.  There was an option to nuke part of the map.

Ended up beating Fallout 4 last night.  Wasn't a huge fan of how the ending seems to come out of nowhere, but all-in-all it was a worthwhile experience.  Will probably go back at least once to see how the game differs by playing with a different faction.

12 hours ago, VS19 said:

Ended up beating Fallout 4 last night.  Wasn't a huge fan of how the ending seems to come out of nowhere, but all-in-all it was a worthwhile experience.  Will probably go back at least once to see how the game differs by playing with a different faction.

Yes, that's a good idea to test the different faction. :yes:

- I liked the minutemen (the ideas, the symbols, their musket, etc.), they were my favorite, but they didn't put much work in their missions... It's always "these bad guys attacked this settlement". Also, their story is very very simple...

- Railroad style is well done, but I find their ideology a bit weird... This freeing robot thing is both manichean and weird.

- I've always liked the brotherhood of steel, but they are not as good as it was in the previous Fallouts. They're more like a militia here...

- The Institue well... is the Institute... their Saint-Simonianism annoyed me (people who think that the world should be administrated by "those who know" and of course they are on the "those who know" side)

Going back through a second time now with a female character this time.  Must say, as always seems to be the case in these games nowadays, the female voice acting for the main character is much better than the voice acting for the male lead.  

Feels like a much different game the second time through.  I didn't go straight to Concord this time, as the game almost forces you to do, but rather roamed around the northeastern part of the map and accumulated some caps and weaponry while also building up the Sanctuary settlement a bit.  Been focusing more on the Minutemen tasks this time than I did the last time, as I didn't really do much of any of their settlement-freeing quests the first time.  Secured the Castle, which was a massive pain that will hopefully be worth the effort later. :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Something about Fallout 4 just didn't click for me. I shelved it after doing just enough to catch the ending, and haven't quite felt motivated enough to explore any more. It felt good initially to wander around the wasteland, looting and discovering some of the small-scale tasks, but whenever a character entered or you found yourself in an urban area, it became very flat very quickly, with mostly cliched writing.

• 2 months later...
On 01/09/2017 at 2:26 PM, Michael* said:

but whenever a character entered or you found yourself in an urban area, it became very flat very quickly, with mostly cliched writing.

Yes, I felt the same. It's a shame because it's a "good" game, but it had the potential of being a "great" game.

I'd like to see a movie on this world one day (of course, one with a real storyline and interesting characters)