Bellazon

Alternative Rock

Enrico_sw

I couldn't find a thread for this music genre, which is a genre in itself (and a great genre!)  :guitar:

Here's how I would define its "Genealogy", by summarizing it in therms of "Big genres", which of course have many subgenres, and by trying to give dates, knowing that it's a general "tendancy" (e.g. you still have Blues bands or Blues derivative bands today)

(I know there are many many other ways to define music genres and that it's almost certain to have disagreements on this topic, but here's my way of summarizing it - feel free to agree or disagree :guitar:):

Pre 1940s: It all started with Blues which, for the Rock world, the equivalent of "the Ancients" (aka Antiquity, meaning it's where it all started; there were stuff before, but it's how the precepts for the Rock recipe arrived)

1940s - 60s: Then, the first child arrived and it was called Rock & Roll (the grandfather). It's based on a recipe between "rythm and blues" and many other ingredients like: echoes in the voice, guitars and bass having effects like reverberation. In short, Rock & Roll electrified Rythm and blues...

1970s - 80s: The father was more agitated. It started to have itches in the hands, in the voice, in the moves. Punk rock!

Hard Rock is the uncle; it's not Punk. It's its big brother. Different, but it's also a Rock N' Roll kid.

1980s - 90s: These are the decades! Where Alternative Rock came alive! Of course, it's quite heteroclite and there are many subgenres of Alternative Rock, like Grunge, Britpop, Indie Rock or Noise Rock (the latter would deserve a thread, but since it consists mainly of Sonic Youth, it would be a Sonic Youth thread :rofl:)

2000s: There are remnants in this world, like the Strokes, Franz Ferdinand who could really be called Alternative Rocks.

2010s is starting to become the "Void decade". What's going to be next..... who knows... But remnants are still there. Is rock still alive? Yes.

PS: of course, there are many cousins, great grandcousins, subgenres, UFOs and other stuff... Each band is a subgenre, sometimes each track (and even each subpart of a track can be a subgenre)

Please share your agreements/disagreements, music and anything you like... :guitar:

Enjoy the music and nothing else matters!:stormy:

Spoiler