Bellazon

The Witcher

Cult Icon

I was pleasantly surprised by the show. I had high hopes beforehand which I lowered as Game of Thrones season 8 and His Dark Materials had stabbed me in the heart. So, I didn't want to get too excited and have it be rubbish.

The major flaw of the season was the narrative. The timeline often not being clear, apart from little references to other characters that some people may not pick up on. I also get why it was this way. The short stories they adapted from are all over the place timeline-wise. Throw that in with them trying to introduce the main three— Ciri, Geralt and Yen. It also works well going forward to the actual main story of the books. We now know these characters. It also helped with setting up some side characters that will play a much bigger role going forward. 

The showrunner revealed before the show aired that the Nilfgaardian armour will be changed in season two. She said Nilfgaard is only just conquering, so they are going to get an upgrade as their power expands. Honestly, I didn't find it that horrible in motion. In the leaked pictures, yes. In the actual show, my focus was never solely on the ballsack armour. She's also said season two will have a more focused storyline. Which is to be expected. She's listening to constructive criticism people have of the show.

As for the ghoul complaint? It's stated by Geralt one bite will kill a man. They are weak in the game because it's a game. They are the first enemy you encounter, they are supposed to be easy. Geralt only survives because of his Witcher tonic. The monsters of the actual Witcher world are deadly, it's why they needed to create Witchers because ordinary men couldn't do the job. The games make Geralt out to be a lot stronger than he is (unless you jump down some stairs to instant death), which works in that media of entertainment. 

The having two swords on his person also works in a game. It's convenient for random encounters with monsters. He doesn't need that in the books or show because the number of monsters isn't as high, it's why the need for Witchers is running low. Not all monsters require silver. Some can be struck down by iron, which is why he carries his iron sword because it can eliminate more threats to him. His silver is kept on Roach wrapped in an oil coated cloth. It's still a trademark of Witchers in the show as Jaskier notes him for a Witcher by his two swords. 

His signs are stronger in game than the books where they aren't often used. He uses Aard, like in the show. Axii on Roach, he also tried it in episode one on someone. He did also use Yrden. Igni he's used in the books mostly for personal use, not in combat. They just aren't as important as the game's combat system. 

I adore Witcher 3, I played it after reading the books but I'd honestly say... don't think of the way the game does things when watching the show. As the story in the books progresses, you'll get a Geralt completely different from what the games give you. If you focus too much on what the game does with Geralt, you won't enjoy it. Just think of the games and show as their own thing. 

Haven't watched S1 yet so I have nothing to comment.  But in thinking about the deep way Witcher impacted me since 2015- it definitively encouraged me to be more romantic, travel more and appreciate mother earth more.  Also, it got me more interested in learning the mechanics of the hero, myth and storytelling.   Many of its philosophies also planted roots in my mind and encouraged me to seek out more information, which I did.  Basically it helped me grow in ways that were more profoundly impactful to me that any other form of media.

I want to revisit witcher 3 and the novels sometime later to see how I interpret it now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 5:48 PM, Cult Icon said:

@Stromboli1  @Enrico_sw

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2020/02/17/mark-hamill-has-reportedly-been-offered-a-role-in-netflixs-the-witcher

A good fit, as he played similar roles on History channel and in Star Wars

Mark Hamill Has Reportedly Been Offered a Role in Netflix's The Witcher

Once again, the showrunner is pretty smart, mostly because she figured out something that many people in Hollywood don't get: interacting with the fans and taking their feedback into account is always rewarded. That should be obvious, but some producers don't get it.

Hamill is a great choice. He is a very talented and versatile actor and most fans of Sci-fi and fantasy (usually the fanbases overlap) love his work.

Vesemir is a really good charcater. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...