Bellazon

The Witcher

Cult Icon

Freja is gorgeous

Anya Chalotra: Hi, I’m Anya, playing Yennefer.

Freya Allan: I’m Freya, and I’m playing Ciri.

Together: And this is our AMA!

QUESTION: Did you read the books to prepare for the role?
Anya: I started reading them when I got the part, and as I was filming, I found it really difficult to carry on reading whilst I was reading the script.
Freya: I’ve only read one of them. I read Blood of Elves the day after I found out I got the role.

QUESTION: Can you describe Ciri and Yennefer in one word?
Freya
: Growing.
Anya: Good word. Survivor.

QUESTION: What was your favorite part of working on the show?
Freya: It was the people I met during filming. And the amount I’ve learned off of people that I was working with. 
Anya: Mine would be how much I learnt and to come on to a set this big and to be reminded of that everyday.

QUESTION: Freya, how did you prepare to take on the role of Ciri?
Freya: Mainly just looking at the scripts. I didn’t want to overprepare because I felt like there was a very natural parallel between Ciri and I, and I related to her, and so I didn’t want to ruin the spontaneity of that.

QUESTION: Are the costumes as comfortable as they look?
Anya: No! Not at all. Some of them…
Freya: Mine was fine.
Anya: Did you have corsets?
Freya: No.
Anya: It was very physically demanding, so to be in a corset, having to perform certain stunts, it was really difficult. But, every time I went to a fitting, I was blown away by the thought that was behind each outfit.

QUESTION: What are the biggest challenges of working on The Witcher?
Anya
: Leading the show. That was a huge challenge. The weight of that, the pace at which we worked.
Freya: My challenges came mostly at the beginning of filming, because I was thrown straight into it, and some of the most crucial moments in this season for Ciri happen at the beginning.

QUESTION: What’s the one thing about your character that you relate the most to?
Anya: Her fearlessness.
Freya: The value she has for her voice, using her opinion. Her curiosity. Her drive to learn.

QUESTION: Anya, do you do anything special to get into character?
Anya: I had the lilac and gooseberry perfume that I put on before I walked out. I made sure I walked as my character, I breathed her in a way. I’d make sure my voice was more grounded for the Yennefer that’s transformed. And then for the younger Yennefer, I was in three hours of prosthetics, so within that time I was able to get into a mental headspace for the scenes that I was doing which were really emotionally challenging.

QUESTION: Freya, what was the most exciting thing for you during filming?
Freya: I did a little bit of horse riding.
Anya: She’s very good at it, and she made it known to everyone.
Freya: No I did not!
Anya: Actually, I had a horse as well. But I wasn’t as good as Freya.
Freya: So yeah, I loved doing that.

QUESTION: If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
Freya
: I’m going to go quite deep and say healing.
Anya: Oh, that’s lovely. Mine would be, that knowledge is power, so I would be all-knowing

QUESTION: What reaction did you have when you discovered you got the role?
Anya: I think I swore down the phone at my agents. I couldn’t quite believe I’d gotten the role. But I didn’t really feel like I was right for this part when I read the brief, only to discover that there’s so many similarities between us.
Freya: The minute that I had been given the breakdown of the role I just immediately thought this was going to be a challenge and it’s going to allow me to develop as an actor.

QUESTION: What was your favorite filming location?
Anya: Canary islands.
Freya: Mine was actually in Hungary. Huge woods that went on for miles, and it really felt like we were in a fantasy world.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:07 AM, KelAnne_ said:

I think it's his own fault that he underestimated how popular gaming was, especially when made by the right team. He probably hasn't made that much money from the game deal he made all those years ago. But he's lucky that CD Projekt are one of the nicest in the gaming industry and they did offer him some royalties.

:yes:

Yes, CD Projekt is an awesome gaming company. I like what they do. I have high hopes for Cyberpunk 2077.:bounce:

I don't know the books as much as you do (I don't know them at all tbh), but I've read articles about the difference between the game and the books and... I think I always prefer the games' choices...Like I prefer Triss as a redhead, it makes her more flaming. She's one of the best characters of the game and I definitely think she's a better romance  than Yennefer (though I know it's not "canon" and anti-book).

They could've worked with Polish actresses/models. :bounce: Like Marta Marczewska. She would've been great as Triss!

https://www.bellazon.com/main/uploads/monthly_2019_07/801837282_MartaMarczewska55.jpg.55dd3922b5f19ce810b9f4ac24b7caf8.jpg

---------------

Anyway, Anya Chalotra looks pretty good in the clips, I like her acting, so there's always that.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:44 PM, KelAnne_ said:

Witcher is a different genre of fantasy that I usually enjoy, so kind of like you, it opened the door for me. It's actually because of Witcher that I decided to give Thrones another chance. It would be special if we could get a Game of Thrones game done in similiar vein to Witcher 3. But I doubt we'd ever be so lucky to get one or so lucky to get an RPG as half as good as Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 does do a good job of exploring Geralt's character, but the novels do the same. Just because the novels delve into other characters doesn't mean Geralt is a side character. There are three books based on Geralt, two are a series of short stories where you learn more about him in each story. The main series has five books, where Geralt continues to evolve as a character. Where you see, despite being a Witcher, he can be broken like any man - physically and mentally. Book and game explore him wonderfully, but it's hard to compare the two as both are completely different characters who have walked different paths. The games aren't canon, only to their version of Geralt who is older. While the books are canon with a younger-ish Geralt. 

The size of the Witcher 3 game is pretty insane to me.  It's as if it had 5 times the production budget of a normal game (the expansions are the length of entire games..).Game of Thrones games hasn't gotten any traction of note. 

It's interesting to me that you say that the Witcher in the game is a different character.  Does that effect the reading of the books?  The Witcher in the game is very self-assured expert and has clearly moved past his "growing" pains.  He's like Sherlock Holmes to me except with a sword.  In the classic model of the "heroes' journey" he seems to be at the cusp of a transitional stage of his life.  He confronts death in "Hearts of Stone" (often something that could change a man) and then "Blood and Wine" is his final act.  I wonder if the book Geralt translated well into the fanfiction one.

What kind of fantasy do you enjoy?  Does Ciri, Triss, and Yenn make sense to you in the game version?

I hope to review Witcher 3 again sometime, maybe in a few months.  I want to see if I Interpret things differently now that I've changed a bit.

On 7/24/2019 at 9:47 AM, KelAnne_ said:

Freya Allan is seriously adorable. Can't wait to see more of her as Ciri and in other projects. 

The Yenn Actress - which I thought was rather plain in her original shot- is quite attractive to me as well.   Her "deformed" version in the trailer looks really stupid though.  It looks like she's simulating fellatio with her tongue LOL

On 7/28/2019 at 10:22 AM, Enrico_sw said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-02-witcher-author-andrzej-sapkowski-unsuccessfully-demands-more-money-from-cd-projekt

He didn't believe in the games, so he wanted a lump sum (not a percentage), i.e. he didn't want the risks.... A couple of years later, the games are a success, so he suddenly had a change of heart. :rolleyes:

It kind of makes sense to me as the studio decided to move on and leave the Witcher franchise (for the time being) and also realized that they didn't really need the man to do well. Their own writers were doing well enough.  This situation seems different from JRRMartin's involved in GOT as the seasons in which he consulted with them were clearly the best and I believe that his knowledge played a critical role in that.  He also helped select the actors.

In the case of the Witcher author he may had few bargaining chips!

16 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

It kind of makes sense to me as the studio decided to move on and leave the Witcher franchise (for the time being) and also realized that they didn't really need the man to do well. Their own writers were doing well enough.  This situation seems different from JRRMartin's involved in GOT as the seasons in which he consulted with them were clearly the best and I believe that his knowledge played a critical role in that.  He also helped select the actors.

In the case of the Witcher author he may had few bargaining chips!

CD Projekt are geniuses. That's why I have high hopes for Cyberpunk. These guys are dedicated, passionate and every detail matters for them: storyline, music, main characters, secondary characters, etc.

They are perfectionists that make many other artwork (movies, games, etc.) look lazy. That's specially the case with Hollywood's movies. Hollywood (and netflix series, for that matter) are lazier and lazier regarding their storylines (not to mention their annoying habit to add PC and SJW's fads everywhere)

I watched a break-down of the trailer and it seems like the original leaked photos of the Nilfgaard armor was accurate:

Pretty awful I'd say and a strange design choice given the beautiful armor of their opponents

s8MZ99Zh.jpgpicsart_05-23-12.51.48.jpg?w=663

IMHO Henry C. probably has some sort of irregular steroid use that preps him up for certain roles.  He most probably did this for the Witcher.

On 8/2/2019 at 5:35 PM, Enrico_sw said:

CD Projekt are geniuses. That's why I have high hopes for Cyberpunk. These guys are dedicated, passionate and every detail matters for them: storyline, music, main characters, secondary characters, etc.

They are perfectionists that make many other artwork (movies, games, etc.) look lazy. That's specially the case with Hollywood's movies. Hollywood (and netflix series, for that matter) are lazier and lazier regarding their storylines (not to mention their annoying habit to add PC and SJW's fads everywhere)

The striking part of Witcher 3 is how quickly it drew me into its world- sights, sounds, activities, conversations in a unique way.  Sensational overload.  I wonder if the show will succeed in this type of world building.  The trailer is clearly structured to attract non-Witcher fans (general audience) and is assembled in the typical hollywood sort of way. 

I have done a great amount of traveling this past year and can relate to Geralt's riding adventures.