Bellazon

The Witcher

Cult Icon

7 hours ago, KelAnne_ said:

The Hexer is awful. Worst thing to ever happen to the Witcher series (unless the Netflix show goes south). Even the author of the books hates Hexer. :rofl:

The media has reported that the author disassociates himself from the games also- It comes across as foolhardy and egotistical/arrogant for him to do so given the staggering success of the games.  The Witcher games may be fanfiction but it's excellent fan-fiction.  

The author doesn't actually hate the games. He has no interest for gaming in general. He saw artwork for the games and praised it, but he just doesn't consider these games to be part of 'his series' which is fair enough. They are their own thing, fan-fic, but as you said, excellent fan-fic. He is part of the Netflix team as a creative consultant. 

I think it's his own fault that he underestimated how popular gaming was, especially when made by the right team. He probably hasn't made that much money from the game deal he made all those years ago. But he's lucky that CD Projekt are one of the nicest in the gaming industry and they did offer him some royalties. 

16 hours ago, KelAnne_ said:

The author doesn't actually hate the games. He has no interest for gaming in general. He saw artwork for the games and praised it, but he just doesn't consider these games to be part of 'his series' which is fair enough. They are their own thing, fan-fic, but as you said, excellent fan-fic. He is part of the Netflix team as a creative consultant. 

I think it's his own fault that he underestimated how popular gaming was, especially when made by the right team. He probably hasn't made that much money from the game deal he made all those years ago. But he's lucky that CD Projekt are one of the nicest in the gaming industry and they did offer him some royalties. 

I don't know if he hates or likes the games but yes he sees gaming as "beneath" his work in that interview.  He was just being a snob.  IIRC it was said that there was some sort of disagreement with him and CD Projektred.  

Overall if I was the author I would behave more like JRRMartin and actively promote the games and my work- even if the studio didn't hire me as a consultant.  

16 hours ago, KelAnne_ said:

A recent interview with Vladimir Furdik, mostly known as the Night King on Game of Thrones. He worked on a lot stunts throughout Thrones and is now working on The Witcher.

https://redanianintelligence.wordpress.com/2019/07/05/watch-vladimir-furdik-on-excellent-henry-cavill-and-the-witcher/

He directed this fight which should give some evidence of his style: (reminds me of the witcher game)

On 7/11/2019 at 10:08 AM, Cult Icon said:

@KelAnne_  what was more profound for you- the story of the Witcher games or the actual literature?

I love the story Witcher 3 tells, it did become my favourite game for a while upon first play. But I also love the story of the novels. Geralt is more of a lone wolf in Witcher 3, getting some help when needed but still mostly alone. In the novels he travels with a group and I love the dynamic of the group. The game and the books both did a good job of evoking emotion from me. I think reading the novels beforehand enriched my experience playing Witcher 3. Because I knew the world, characters, references. And now I was getting to visually experience the novel through gameplay. Both are wonderful in their own right. But, if I really have to pick, I got to go with the novels. I love the story it tells more because it's not just about Geralt. You have Ciri's side of the story, which is more vast and complicated than the game. Yennefer, the Lodge of Sorceresses, Emperor Emhyr and fake Ciri, Leo Bonhart, Vilgefortz, The Wild Hunt. The world builds around all these characters. All these tales intertwine, save for The Wild Hunt who are only really Ciri's issue. 

23 hours ago, KelAnne_ said:

I love the story Witcher 3 tells, it did become my favourite game for a while upon first play. But I also love the story of the novels. Geralt is more of a lone wolf in Witcher 3, getting some help when needed but still mostly alone. In the novels he travels with a group and I love the dynamic of the group. The game and the books both did a good job of evoking emotion from me. I think reading the novels beforehand enriched my experience playing Witcher 3

For me the Witcher 3/expansions was something much more than a game.  From a storytelling POV it was a work of art for me and probably impacted me more than the average person as I had little interest in Fantasy genres prior to it.  It kind of a gateway for me in learning about Eastern European myth/fantasy- kind of like how Game of Thrones taught me about advanced storytelling and Western fantasy.  However I feel like between the two, Witcher impacted me a bit more.  

Witcher 3 has a massive exploration of the character of Geralt- in a way it seems like an entire life experience- with all its richness- condensed into a 200 hour or so game.  I doubted at the time that the novels spent so much time on him either.

On 7/13/2019 at 11:20 AM, Cult Icon said:

For me the Witcher 3/expansions was something much more than a game.  From a storytelling POV it was a work of art for me and probably impacted me more than the average person as I had little interest in Fantasy genres prior to it.  It kind of a gateway for me in learning about Eastern European myth/fantasy- kind of like how Game of Thrones taught me about advanced storytelling and Western fantasy.  However I feel like between the two, Witcher impacted me a bit more.  

Witcher 3 has a massive exploration of the character of Geralt- in a way it seems like an entire life experience- with all its richness- condensed into a 200 hour or so game.  I doubted at the time that the novels spent so much time on him either.

Witcher is a different genre of fantasy that I usually enjoy, so kind of like you, it opened the door for me. It's actually because of Witcher that I decided to give Thrones another chance. It would be special if we could get a Game of Thrones game done in similiar vein to Witcher 3. But I doubt we'd ever be so lucky to get one or so lucky to get an RPG as half as good as Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 does do a good job of exploring Geralt's character, but the novels do the same. Just because the novels delve into other characters doesn't mean Geralt is a side character. There are three books based on Geralt, two are a series of short stories where you learn more about him in each story. The main series has five books, where Geralt continues to evolve as a character. Where you see, despite being a Witcher, he can be broken like any man - physically and mentally. Book and game explore him wonderfully, but it's hard to compare the two as both are completely different characters who have walked different paths. The games aren't canon, only to their version of Geralt who is older. While the books are canon with a younger-ish Geralt. 

Looks really good! Can tell they actually care about the source material, a lot of book moments shown. They are delving deeper into Yen's backstory, which I don't mind. Geralt, Yen and Ciri all look fantastic. Triss is still 'eh' for me, need to see more of her to fully form an opinion. I'm hyped for the next trailer as it's likely to show more without so many cuts. Got my fingers crossed we'll get the scene of Geralt and his mother. But still, this trailer is better than I expected. That final shot of Geralt is perfection. They nailed the look of how the elixirs change his appearance. 

5 hours ago, KelAnne_ said:

A blink and you'll miss her moment. 

tumblr_puwv7lK0WQ1qznahno4_1280.png

Oh yeah, that is not great. It's such a great shame they did not cast Elena Satine. A fan favorite as well as someone who actually discussed the part on social media.

The girl who plays Yennefer looks a lot better in the trailer than in the still shots they had already shown.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:28 AM, Cult Icon said:

Witcher trailer!!!!! 

Well, that looks... average. 

I like Yennefer a lot, that's the good point. She displays very good acting skills and her perfomance is quite impressive, but... Triss is bad, really bad and Geralt's voice doesn't seem right.

The soundtrack is everything it shouldn't be (rigid pace, too much drums, I can't pick any leitmotivs, etc. it's basically everything we've already heard in average movies). I hope it's just the trailer's music and they will have a real "original" soundtrack, otherwise it's gonna ruin the thing.

I hope they won't sprinkle manichean/boring morals in the script, otherwise it will be a no go for me.

(Also, I'm cautious with netflix stuff, since this :DanniCullen: https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/06/netflix-five-second-staring-rule/)