Bellazon

The Witcher

Cult Icon

On 9/7/2018 at 2:39 PM, KelAnne_ said:

I'm happy with Henry getting the role. The Witcher is highly underrated, the books mostly, as a lot of people are only aware of the games. So if he's going to be the reason people are introduced to this series, I'm all for it! The showrunner spoke on Twitter of how the meeting she had with Henry back in April always stuck with her, even after meeting hundreds of other actors for Geralt. He has the passion, he understands the character. I have really high hopes for this series. To judge by her tweets over the course of the year I've followed her, the showrunner is incredibly passionate about the Witcher world. Plus, they also have the author as a consultant for the show. 

As for Mads Mikkelsen, I could totally see him playing Leo Bonhart! 

What I find incredible about the game is the richness and nuance of the writing.   It really transports you into "their world".  From what I've heard, the author of the books wasn't involved in the game studio.  

That's what I like about CD Projekt Red, they are a very passionate, independent studio. They have a small team devoted to one game at a time for years. Despite the game not being canon to the books, more like an unofficial sequel, they did respect the lore. It's the writing, the characters (new and old), the graphics, the little details that make the game so fantastic! 

He wasn't! From what I gather, he isn't a big fan of the games because he's unhappy how people associate the series with the games and not the books. 

On 9/11/2018 at 10:03 AM, KelAnne_ said:

That's what I like about CD Projekt Red, they are a very passionate, independent studio. They have a small team devoted to one game at a time for years. Despite the game not being canon to the books, more like an unofficial sequel, they did respect the lore. It's the writing, the characters (new and old), the graphics, the little details that make the game so fantastic! 

He wasn't! From what I gather, he isn't a big fan of the games because he's unhappy how people associate the series with the games and not the books. 

I wondered many times (with the game) what people wrote it and what their backgrounds were.  There is a deep knowledge of mythology, medieval society, philosophy, literature, etc. going on here.  Some very talented people produced this.  I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed his books as you said.   

Also, what is staggering is the volume of content.  On youtube you have playthroughs that are 200 hours long, 30 hours of cutscenes/dialogue, etc... an unbelievable amount of work was put in for a game.  There's not a single game that approaches this.

The artwork also shows a deep knowledge of the countryside and also the "soul" of the peasant.

who are your favorite characters??

On 9/9/2018 at 1:51 AM, Cult Icon said:

All this rumors shows that the tv series is going to be a product for international audience and people who don't know books and didn't play game. So after first excitatiotion for this project I've lost interest of it. It will be adaptation of books so I predict a lot of changes to the core elements of novel.

11 hours ago, Socio said:

All this rumors shows that the tv series is going to be a product for international audience and people who don't know books and didn't play game. So after first excitatiotion for this project I've lost interest of it. It will be adaptation of books so I predict a lot of changes to the core elements of novel.

It seems that diversity is pretty standard for marketing purposes; however it is jarring that Ciri would get a visual change as she is so iconic in the games.

more news on it:Netflix's 'The Witcher' Ciri Casting Rumors Spark Polish Fans to Fight Back

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/13/netflix-the-witcher-ciri-casting-rumors-polish-fans/

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why they haven't made the full cast reveal yet.

Henry Cavill is already in full preparation mode for the shoot. Supposedly they start shooting on October 19th 2018.

Yet we still don't know any of the other cast members besides Henry Cavill.

The casting director has promised that we will get some news in that regard soon. But she won't say how soon soon is.

Surely whoever has been cast in the other principal parts should also be in preparation mode already.

Some of the crew members have been revealed:

https://thegww.com/netflixs-the-witcher-series-starring-henry-cavill-adds-vikings-vfx-supervisor/

We don't even know who the director or directors will be.

On the subject of Andrzej Sapkowski, I think he has seller's regret for having sold the rights for bobbins.

He didn't even get 10000 USD.

Had he just asked for a percentage of profits he would have made many times more.

"The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt" made a profit of over 60.000.000 USD.

Had he negotiated like 5% of profits, he would have gotten 3.000.000 USD just for that game.

22 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

So apparently people seem to believe that the reason the Triss Merigold casting member hasn't been announced yet is because she won't be in season one.

The theory is that they are adapting the first two books for season one. Triss doesn't appear until book three. :(

thanks for the info

Frankly I don't know what to expect.  I never read the book series and  I don't know any of these actors except for Henry.

3 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

thanks for the info

Frankly I don't know what to expect.  I never read the book series and  I don't know any of these actors except for Henry.

I'm not too worried about that. Most of the cast of "Game of Thrones" were relative unknowns too, apart from Sean Bean and to a lesser extent Lena Headey.

I do think it's a mistake to wait with revealing the entirety of the Geralt-Triss-Yennefer love triangle. That is definitely a bit part of the appeal in the games' narrative.

• 2 weeks later...