Bellazon

The fashion shows in Milan are banning waify models, TOO!!!

k_dub

I'm 100% sure it's Madrid, couse when it will happen in Milan it will be a revolution or the end of the world.... :laugh:

Well, I guess a revolution or the end of the world is COMING!!! :bellazon: :war: :lullaby: :blueeyedbaby: Seriously, check out this article:

http://dailynews.com/search/ci_4353850

According to Stephanie Becker, the writer of the acticle that the link up above will take you to, the "mayor of that fashion mecca, Milan, is following suit(with Madrid), promising a similar weight restriction during that city's fashion shows." :ermm: :o Seriously, the day of the waify model is over. :wave:

I'm 100% sure it's Madrid, couse when it will happen in Milan it will be a revolution or the end of the world.... :laugh:

Well, I guess a revolution or the end of the world is COMING!!! :bellazon: :war: :lullaby: :blueeyedbaby: Seriously, check out this article:

According to Stephanie Becker, the writer of the acticle that the link up above will take you to, the "mayor of that fashion mecca, Milan, is following suit(with Madrid), promising a similar weight restriction during that city's fashion shows." :ermm: :o Seriously, the day of the waify model is over. :wave:

what do you call waify to start with ? i mean, amongst the following models:

Sasha pivovarova, darla baker, vlada rosliakova, solange vilvert, gemma ward, patricia schmidt, snejana onopka, hana soukupova and jessica stam

who's waify and who's not ? Cause Solange and Snejana are extremely thin and look petite but that's just the way they are, unlike hana and vlada, who look underweight :ninja:

anyways 10bucks say vlada will be in Milan (to name just one waify model) :cain:

what do you call waify to start with ? i mean, amongst the following models:

Sasha pivovarova, darla baker, vlada rosliakova, solange vilvert, gemma ward, patricia schmidt, snejana onopka, hana soukupova and jessica stam.

Taben, do you know how much the models listed above weigh? The Spanish Health organization are calling for a height-weight ratio of 18 at the least. Therefore, if a model is 5-9, she has to weigh at least 123.

who cares how much they weight ? this should be based on how they look, if anything. I mean, their weight isn't written on their forhead... so if a girl weights 123 and is 5'9 yet looks anorexic she'll get to walk whereas a 5'9 girl that weight 115 and looks naturally slim and healthy won't ?

So what's next ? killing the legless cripples cause it could make ppl want to cut their legs off ?

So what's next ? killing the legless cripples cause it could make ppl want to cut their legs off ?

That wasn't a good comparison.

Models are the image of what people tend to think we 'should' look like. Comparing that to people who don't have legs is not only wrong in comparison terms, but also uncalled for.

That wasn't a good comparison.

Models are the image of what people tend to think we 'should' look like. Comparing that to people who don't have legs is not only wrong in comparison terms, but also uncalled for.

:sleep:

who cares how much they weight ? this should be based on how they look, if anything. I mean, their weight isn't written on their forhead... so if a girl weights 123 and is 5'9 yet looks anorexic she'll get to walk whereas a 5'9 girl that weight 115 and looks naturally slim and healthy won't ?

How would that WORK?! :blink: Chances are the 5'9, 115 girl will look anorexic and the 5'9, 123 girl will look slim and healthy. The 5'9, 123 girl will naturally have a bigger bust size, so the chances are a chick that with height and weight will look anorexic are pretty slim, if not impossible. Thing is, Madrid and the Milan shows are basing this on how they look . . . the way their BODIES LOOK!!! :whistle:

• 2 months later...

Told y'all it was gonna happen.

ROME (Reuters) - Italy's government and its fashion chiefs are working on a manifesto to crack down on the use of ultra-thin teenagers on the catwalk, as pressure grows on the fashion world to promote healthier looks.

After Spain barred models below a certain weight from a Madrid fashion show in September, industry leaders in Argentina and now Brazil have joined a campaign to ensure models are over 16 years old and are not excessively thin.

Powerful Milan fashion houses first resisted calls to copy the Spanish regulations, with Italian National Fashion Chamber head Mario Boselli saying in September that only "maybe one girl in a hundred" could be defined as too skinny.

But after Boselli, whose lobby represents big names like Armani, Versace and Prada, met Italian Youth Minister Giovanna Melandri this week, he agreed to work with the ministry on a self regulatory code of good practice.

"Italy has an important strategic role in world fashion so we have to send a strong signal," said Flaminia Spadone, an aide to the minister.

The manifesto will be launched before the Milan women's fashion week in February, a major event in the catwalk calendar.

"We'd like fashion houses, modeling agencies, photographers and everyone working in the fashion world to sign the charter," she said. "It would be voluntary but professional bodies could decide to impose sanctions on people who don't sign, preventing them from taking part in fashion shows."

Boselli told Reuters the charter might require women to undergo medical checks for body weight, though it would also take into account factors like genetic influences on weight.

ULTRA-SLIM LOOK

The use of underweight models promoting the ultra-slim look has held sway in much of world fashion since the 1990s, and was epitomized by British supermodel Kate Moss.

But it has come into sharp critical focus since the death of Brazilian model Ana Carolina Resto last month from complications derived from the slimming disease anorexia. There are calls for a return to the slim but more curvaceous models of the 1980s, like Cindy Crawford and Claudia Schiffer.

"We won't have a specific limit on body mass index as they do in Spain," said Boselli.

But Spadone said the ministry would ideally like to follow the Spanish example and impose a limit on the body mass index, which takes into account the model's height versus weight.

She said models who came under 18.5 on the index -- the World Health Organization's definition of underweight -- should be banned from working for the sake of their own health.

"In the Third World, if someone has an index of less than 18.5, they send in humanitarian aide," she said.

(Additional reporting by Sophie Hardach)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061207/en_nm/italy_models_dc

Now it is official: the day of the waify model is over.

This won't work. If they wanna change they have to ban the models from doing editorials/catalogs and etc.

Argentina and now Brazil have joined a campaign to ensure models are over 16 years old and are not excessively thin.

:laugh: All the good models are young, age has nothing to do with being skinny. :anger:

well actually i don't really care about that new manifesto because maybe 1girl out of 20 won't fit the requirements... Most models look ultra skinny compared to your average woman but i'm pretty sure a lot of them are over the weight limit so it's all good :p and maybe that means we'll get to see more eugenia o the runway :shifty:

I remember Elise being on a talk show in Belgium. She talked about how the entire industry was still focused on being thin, and she told a story of a stylist grabbing her ass right before a show, and then turning to her and saying "stop eating now!" She said it was kind of ironic too, since that stylist was an overweight woman herself, and the idea of her calling Elise fat is fairly absurd. At the same time, it shows how deeply rooted the thin obsession is withing the fashion industry.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Looks like youa are going to see it. Here is a update:

ROME - The Italian government and fashion industry joined forces Saturday in a campaign against anorexic models, which includes attention to the "full-bodied" and a commitment to add larger sizes to collections.

The premier's office said that the self-regulating code for Italy's highly competitive fashion industry would be signed in Rome next week.

Helping to spur the war on unhealthily rail-thin models on the fashion show runways was the death from anorexia last month of a 21-year-old model in Brazil.

"The government and fashion associations have made a strategic alliance to go down a common road in the fight against anorexia," Youth Policy and Sports Minister Giovanna Melandri said in a statement issued by the premier's office.

Weeks ago, Melandri, who stands out in the Cabinet as a fashionable dresser with a trim figure, urged the fashion industry to emphasize larger sizes for women instead of tinier sizes on the runways.

The code "wasn't stipulated with the intention of imposing something on someone," said Stefano Dominella, president of a lobby for Rome haute couture. Instead, the aim is "regulating the world of fashion, so that it doesn't get pointed out as being responsible for the dramatic facts in the news," Dominella said in the statement.

Those signing on to the campaign pledge that fashion world will start giving importance to "a model of healthy, sunny, full-bodied Mediterranean beauty that Italy has historically contributed" to the international scene.

Earlier this month, a major Brazilian fashion event moved to bar models younger than 16, part of a national effort to increase awareness about eating disorders.

In September, Madrid's Fashion Week banned models with a body mass index of less than 18. Body mass index is a calculation doctors normally apply to study obesity, and anyone with an index below 18.5 is considered underweight.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061216/ap_on_...ashion_anorexia

See that? Looks like the fashion industry in on board with the idea, which means even the big names like Versace, Valentino, and Armani are commited to abide by it. Sure, the women will still be slender, but they will be more healthy looking nonetheless.