Bellazon

Designer faces backlash for fatshaming Amy Schumer

SympathysSilhouette

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/amy-schumer-in-style_us_58e5030be4b03a26a3684695

I honestly don't know how to feel about this. I'm not too fond of outrage culture and the tendencies to violently come after anyone who expresses even a mildly controversial statement. I don't necessarily agree with Duggan but I also don't think she should be treated the way she is for her statement.

@SympathysSilhouette

For me, the manner in which Duggan resorted to throwing insults around makes her a tough individual to sympathise with, although in general I'd echo your sentiments on the current culture of sensationalism and faux outrage.

I think broadly speaking, this could be a really interesting basis for a discussion. Unfortunately, it's probably not a discussion that many people could have without it quickly devolving into "argh fat shaming" or "argh the PC agenda".

For what it's worth, although I don't doubt that the body positivity movement was created with decent intentions, I can't help wondering whether unconditional acceptance of one's own body is, in its own way, just as unrealistic and unattainable as the mainstream ideal of physical beauty. There are always going to be people who feel indifferent and even hostile about their bodies and their looks, and that's fine too. We shouldn't be stoking guilt about not having unwavering confidence any more than we should about not being thin.

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:01 AM, Stromboli1 said:

I wonder if Duggan would've drawn the ire of SJW if she said Amy Schumer was ugly instead of fatshaming her. :idk:

Amy Schumer is ugly btw.

I think pretty much any comments section exchange would have been forgotten fairly quickly if it hadn't been for Duggan writing under the account of her swimwear brand. It was only when people cottoned onto her being a designer that the story seemed to gather pace.