Bellazon

The Political Correctness Haters' Club

Sarah.Adams

19 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Also, history is not "cold as facts". History is always written by somebody, who will inevitably have more or less motivations to write such history in a certain way. The general context and the time when it was written along other factors will have an influence too. 

Cult Icon already answered, there's a difference between historical facts and their interpretations, and I agree with him. I will add a couple of things.

There are a lot of uncertainties around humanities, it's not always easy to establish fact, etc. Sure. But IF we conclude that nothing means nothing, then it means that the common belief will stay believed, whereas the common belief is sometimes very wrong. History is not an exact science but it's still very useful. It teaches us how to repeat good ideas and to avoid mistakes.

This video was really interesting because it shows historical facts that were new to me (and probably a lot of ppl). In any case, whether it's about facts or opinions, it's refreshing to hear discordant voices/stories; we are too often bathed in unanimous debates in which nothing is never questionned.

18 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

“History is written by the victors.”

:Amelie_wft:

Oh, I think that it's true in certain environments. Not in every environment though. These days, the struggle is to find who is the victim and who is the felon. And then comes  the moral judgements and stuff.

In any case, history is to humanities what experiments are to physics: the most important thing. Experiments are biased like history is biaised, but they are still key.

7 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I find that with political narratives/ideology, one only needs to look at where the money, public sentiment, and practical interests are flowing.  It's as if they see the opportunities, and then make the story around it.  Then they sell the story to the general public.

Oh, I agree with you. Very often, acts in foreign policies are justified by "good intentions" or "human rights", but it's often a story for other purposes. It's funny to see how the same moral causes doesn't always have the same consequences, because whatever the narratives, in the end, the power balance is a bigger driver.

A politician who fails to be re-elected often picks one of this songs: :rolleyes:

- "the circumstances were bad (economical crisis, difficult times....)", which can be translated (in the normal language) by "not my fault"  

- "my predecessors left the state in a bad situation", which can be translated by "not my fault, it's because of the dumbasses before me"

- "I did a great job, it's just that we didn't develop enough of a pedagogical approach", which can be translated by "you, dumbasses, didn't understand how great I am"

Because, just like the cat, the politician always lands on his feet :laugh:

1200px-Falling_cat_1894.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_righting_reflex

This claim that fats help you lose weight.  I know that the nutritional science checks out but for me it has been the complete opposite.  The satiation factor does not compensate for the lack of fiber and complete lack of bulk in the gut. :

"Eggs—especially with the yolks—raw nuts, avocados and cheese are excellent foods to stimulate certain hormones and to decrease hunger and cravings.12"

The only thing that works for me is protein and vegetables, plus a small amount of complex carbs.

:rolleyes:

Spoiler
On 14/04/2018 at 2:09 AM, Enrico_sw said:

A politician who fails to be re-elected often picks one of this songs: :rolleyes:

- "the circumstances were bad (economical crisis, difficult times....)", which can be translated (in the normal language) by "not my fault" 

8 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

she had this published (by her ghostwriter)

71k2qgG4UKL.jpg

Oh, interesting book. The summary goes like this:  "All of this is not my fault, because it's not my fault. How could it be my fault? It's because of husbands, brigands, bad brands; because of Putin, Stalin, Lenin; and above all it's beacuse of blah, blah, blah. Did I mention it was not my fault?" :laugh: